Nassau and Freeport (on our own)....Advice Needed!

thegreens

We did a 4 day cruise on the Norwegian Sky. We returned today (Friday, 4/20/2012)

Driving in Freeport, Grand Bahama Island

I can definately see why so many people are turned off by this port. It doesn't give a nice first impression, but we decided to get off the boat and rent a car. We rented an economy car from Celebrity Car & Scooter Rental (go left when you reach the shopping area just off the boat.) It doesn't look like they do reservations, you just show up and they give you a car. We paid $75 for a rental and had it from about 9am until 3pm... plenty of time to do some exploring. However, if you decide to do this, don't expect a fancy car. Ours had over 100K miles on it and it had a lot of issues. It still got us around though. We drove to Lucaya Marketplace (boring) and Gold Rock Beach at Lucaya National Park. The park and beach were awesome! We left there at about 2pm and were back in time to drop off the car and do a little shopping before getting back on the ship. I definately recommend renting a car. Just make sure you're comfortable and/or confident with your ability to drive on the other side of the road. (like they do in the U.K.)

Snorkeling in Nassau

We did the Seahorse Catamaran snorkel excursion booked through the ship. The boat ride was nice. I definately prefer the catamaran to some of the other snorkel boats. We brought our own gear along, but my sister and her husband used the Seahorse gear. My sister didn't have a problem, but my brother-in-law had issues finding a mask that fit his face well. The boat took us to a reef called Rainbow Fish Reef. We had one hour in the water. There was plenty of fish and the water is crystal clear, but my husband and I have seen better things on different snorkel trips. I bet families would LOVE this excursion and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a laid back day that also includes a little adventure. On the way back, the crew tried to put up the sail, but it wasn't windy enough, so we stayed on motor power. They gave us some really weak rum punch and there was regular punch for the kids. They blasted music and people started dancing on the boat. The ride back was a lot of fun.

Beach & Snorkeling on Great Stirrup Cay

Our last stop was Norwegian's private island. There is decent snorkeling off shore and an easy place to see some fish while remaining in a safe area with lifeguards. Again, great for families. I've posted a more thorough review of the GSC construction on the private island board.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

• 3 months later...

My Wife and two kids (9) and (12) are taking our second cruise this fall. We will be traveling to the Bahamas on Carnival Fantasy, Oct 17th, 2012. We have never been to either port and have pretty much all day to spend at each. We love the beach, would like to do some snorkeling (nothing too fancy, but want to see something!) and don't have a ton of money to spend. In Nassau, it seems the Sheraton might be our best bet? What about in Freeport? I have read we need to get away from the port to experience more of the island. We LOVE beautiful beaches and like the looks of Gold Rock Beach, but also know it's a long way away and would cost a fortune in a taxi...not to mention getting back. PLEASE any suggestions welcome. FIRST POST EVER...sorry for it being so long.:o

We are renting a jeep in Freeport and driving to Gold Rock Beach for most of the day. We may head in town for lunch and shopping after swimming. Renting the jeep will be our big excursion for the week. In Nassau, we are doing the walking tour, straw market, and fish fry. This cruise is going to be a cheap vacation for us too!

Beth

Thanks for the reply Beth. If you don't mind me asking, what price were you able to secure the Jeep. Our plans right now are to book with Paradise Cove directly, but in the back of my mind, I am still thinking about Gold Rock Beach.

We are looking into this site but I am not sure. There are several rental places. I hope this helps.

Beth

My Wife and two kids (9) and (12) are taking our second cruise this fall. We will be traveling to the Bahamas on Carnival Fantasy, Oct 17th, 2012. We have never been to either port and have pretty much all day to spend at each. We love the beach, would like to do some snorkeling (nothing too fancy, but want to see something!) and don't have a ton of money to spend. In Nassau, it seems the Sheraton might be our best bet? What about in Freeport? I have read we need to get away from the port to experience more of the island. We LOVE beautiful beaches and like the looks of Gold Rock Beach, but also know it's a long way away and would cost a fortune in a taxi...not to mention getting back. PLEASE any suggestions welcome. FIRST POST EVER...sorry for it being so long.:o

Just got back yesterday from Freeport (July 30) and Nassau (July 31). In Freeport, I went to Paradise Cove. Arrangement was to be picked up at 11 AM and be returned to the vessel about 3 PM. My Carnival ship (Sensation) was scheduled to leave at 5 PM from Freeport. I arranged my excursion from Paradise Cove's website ($41 for adults with lunch or $35 without lunch). Not sure of the child's price (since we didn't take our children on this trip). Was picked up by Nathan about 15 minutes early. Everyone already there and we left. Got a flat tire on the way (it happens...) Very professional...he made sure that we took a taxi to Paradise Cove (we were probably 2-3 miles or so from our destination). Loss of time concerning the flat tire about 30 minutes total (but remember, we were picked up 15 minutes early, so only a 15 minute loss of "real" time). When we arrived, they said "sorry" and we were able to sign in and pay, get our equipment, listen to the short lecture about what NOT to touch and then left on our own to snorkle.

Paradise Cove is NOT a million dollar resort. If you want that, see the Atlantis in Nassau. It IS rustic. Restroom is fairly small, not neat, but fairly clean (I've seen bathrooms a LOT worse!). The equipment was fine; no problems with mine. Enjoyed the snorkling. You're pretty much "on your own" while snorkling. Someone does watch (from the shore), but not sure how much they pay attention. If you have children, watch them closely!!!

The food was ok; certainly nothing worth writing about. Hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken sandwiches (not chicken strips). Chips and a soft drink round out the "meal" portion of the pre-bought food. They do offer other food for a price (fries, conch fritters, etc). Again, food is ok, not "bad" really, but nothing special.

Cost was well worth the price. Snorkeling was nice. Rocks in the water was slippery (duh!). Go with water shoes (or flippers). Since there is no changing facilities, you need to go with your swimsuit under your clothes. BRING A TOWEL! You can rent them (but not sure of the cost or availability).

We were returned to the ship without any problem. Van was air conditioned (both ways, even in the flat tire one). Would I do this trip again? YES. Would I recommend it? YES! I doubt they get a flat tire with every tour. It happens. My wife and I enjoyed the tour along with others from our cruise that also went on this tour. If you're looking for something to do in Freeport besides shopping (which we didn't do there), and want to snorkel, try this place. I enjoyed it anyway. Hope you guys who read this post enjoy your cruise vacation also. We had a blast. Happy sailing!

For the record: the ship did NOT leave at 5:00 as scheduled. It left about 5:45 or so.

Nassau -- Used Jermaine's Taxi (also has a web site) and booked him through e-mail. VERY nice tour (2 hours which was our requested length). He dropped us at the Atlantis (again, our request). Personal opinion, Atlantis is a waste of time unless you can find a way to the beach. There are PLENTY of beaches on the island; one not far from where the boat docks! So, since you like beaches; pick one and enjoy your stay. I know that Cable Beach can be accessed by paying $25 to the Sheraton. You get to used their facilities and the beach. We were going to use this, but at the last moment, chose to see Atlantis (our mistake).

If all you want are beaches, Paradise Cove may not be your best bet however (Freeport). It's GREAT for snorkling; but not so great for the beach. I've heard Taino Beach is nice, but didn't see it and have no information about it. Hope this helps! Have a safe, enjoyable cruise! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Teacher2013- Wow, thanks for the awesome report. Sounds like we are on the right path. Pretty much planning on going to Paradise Cove. This sounds perfect for us. We are from Tennessee and love to go camping so we enjoy "rustic", in fact, we really love it. Our kids are on the swim team, so they are very good swimmers. You mentioned water shoes or flippers...do they supply the flippers as part of the equipment? We also love to be pampered at times, so I think in Nassau, we will enjoy the Sheraton for the day.

Again, I really appreciate everyone responding to this post. If there are other ideas on things that would make this trip even more special, please share!

:)

Teacher2013- Wow, thanks for the awesome report. Sounds like we are on the right path. Pretty much planning on going to Paradise Cove. This sounds perfect for us. We are from Tennessee and love to go camping so we enjoy "rustic", in fact, we really love it. Our kids are on the swim team, so they are very good swimmers. You mentioned water shoes or flippers...do they supply the flippers as part of the equipment? We also love to be pampered at times, so I think in Nassau, we will enjoy the Sheraton for the day.

Again, I really appreciate everyone responding to this post. If there are other ideas on things that would make this trip even more special, please share!

:)

Yes. You get a mask, snorkle and fins (flippers or whatever they are called). The lecture about what NOT to touch was about 4 or 5 minutes. They even show you a picture of the coral so you won't touch it. I am NOT a great swimmer, but I enjoyed the snorkling. They DO have tubes to "hold onto" if you need to rest a bit (and usually, you can stand up without having to tred water at the tubes). We had a blast! No vendors, but you'll see a tip jar (or maybe 2 or 3 of them).....:) I left the ship in my water shoes and once I turned in my snorkling equipment, I could enjoy the water and wading in it. It IS rocky, so the shoes helped.

If you need to shop in Freeport, there ARE some smaller shops around the dock you can frequent. Prices are typically touristy (meaning high price, low value generally). Not everything of course. We wanted something from Freeport and got a souvineer. In Nassau, you're in the downtown area and can shop to your heart's content. The beaches are nice and you are welcome to join in the debate about which is the nicest beach in Nassau when you return home. I think you can't go wrong with most any of them (but then again, I didn't see all of the beaches either).

Have a safe cruise and have a great time. The Bahamas are great!

Volfanknight, my wife and I are planning on doing the trip to Paradise Cove as well, and will be on the same cruise... I plan on booking directly and will wait a little closer to sail date to solidify reservations.

We may likely just head out to Junkanoo Beach to hang out while in Nassau.

Don't know about you, but I'm already counting the hours!

I wonder if the Atlantis realizes how much money they are losing by not letting us walk around the shops, restaurants, outside fish viewing etc.? We no longer go there to gamble since we are so restricted.

Judging by the poor condition the property is in these days (see another poster's photos from recent thread on Atlantis), I doubt they care.

I wonder if the Atlantis realizes how much money they are losing by not letting us walk around the shops, restaurants, outside fish viewing etc.? We no longer go there to gamble since we are so restricted.

As long as nassau is a cruise stop, Atlantis management isn't gonna care. Cruisers arrive each day in droves.. spending big $$ for a chance to see what all the buzz is about. Most don't return.. but there are plenty more cruise ships behind them.. Cruise companies have big contracts with this resort to provide people. That's not gonna stop anytime soon.

Cruisers, conventions and events is where their money comes from.. and it's not stopping anytime soon.

Too bad the property is falling apart.

Thanks for the reply Beth. If you don't mind me asking, what price were you able to secure the Jeep. Our plans right now are to book with Paradise Cove directly, but in the back of my mind, I am still thinking about Gold Rock Beach.

I am not sure when your cruise is, but we just came back from Freeport and Nassau, and we went to Paradise Cove. We just took a taxi there (8 pp). We got there and signed in and paid $3 each to use the facilities. We had our own snorkel equipment, so did not rent that. I did rent a kayak for $15 per hour, which was so nice.

Snorkeling was great. My son and hubby saw a turtle, what they thought was a barracuda, and huge stingrays. I definitely recommend a waist belt, because we did not have those, and my hubby got spooked somehow and could not get his breathing right, which lead to exhaustion out there. No lifeguards per say, but people on shore that will take a boat out if someone is waving for help. Of course if you are behind the reef, that will not work anyway.

The place was clean, peaceful, and the staff professional and above and beyond kind. I assume that I was talking to the owner by our conversation at one point, and she seems like the sweetest, kindest lady.

We would recommend doing this. You don't really need a tour. OUr taxi driver took us there, and since it was just us and about 7 other people, he just asked us when we wanted to go back, and waited right there for us.

Archived