South America -- Opinions re:possibly trying Carnival

jerbeth

We are Elite cruisers with Princess and enjoy their product. We have not sailed with any other line in many years. That said, we would like to do another cruise around South America, winter 2014, but missed out on the Florida to California itineraries. Really don't want to go with long and very expensive one-way flights from Boston to Buenos Aires. I know there are those of you who have tried most of the major cruise lines. Would love to hear opinions on whether we would/could be happy with Carnival should they offer an option to circle South America with embark/disembark in the US. :confused:

We traveled Carnival for years when taking the children with us. Once empty nesters we moved on to other Lines. After 17 years we started traveling with Carnival again only because we now take grandchildren. I will continue to travel Carnival only if grandkids are with us. Most of our crusies are with Princess, but we do compare ports and price with other lines. I know long flights can be a pain. Over usually within a day compare that to several days or weeks cruising with a different crowd then what you have become use to with Princess. I do enjoy children, but the last Carnival had over 50% of kids late teenage and under. Just different. Good luck

We traveled Carnival for years when taking the children with us. Once empty nesters we moved on to other Lines. After 17 years we started traveling with Carnival again only because we now take grandchildren. I will continue to travel Carnival only if grandkids are with us. Most of our crusies are with Princess, but we do compare ports and price with other lines. I know long flights can be a pain. Over usually within a day compare that to several days or weeks cruising with a different crowd then what you have become use to with Princess. I do enjoy children, but the last Carnival had over 50% of kids late teenage and under. Just different. Good luck

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We are older - 66 and 77 at the moment and have never had children. That said my DH was an elementary teacher and I spent a lot of years as an elementary school nurse. Our thinking - right or wrong - would be that on the longer itineraries such as around South America, there wouldn't be many children?????

Probably not as far as the kids go. That said, I don't think Carnival quite stacks up to Princess in terms of amenities and environment. But if the itinerary fits, I think you would be fine.

I looked at Celebrity, looks like they only offer one run a year and it ends in Chile.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We are older - 66 and 77 at the moment and have never had children. That said my DH was an elementary teacher and I spent a lot of years as an elementary school nurse. Our thinking - right or wrong - would be that on the longer itineraries such as around South America, there wouldn't be many children?????

Exactly. I agree. I think the SA will be mostly older travelers. I have also been considering their very well priced sailing. But the person I travel with will does not like longer voyages. Says 20 days about the limit. Sad; SA looks awesome, and I want to do the full circle.

Doug

Probably not as far as the kids go. That said, I don't think Carnival quite stacks up to Princess in terms of amenities and environment. But if the itinerary fits, I think you would be fine.

I looked at Celebrity, looks like they only offer one run a year and it ends in Chile.

HAL's Princendam (sp?) does a great looking SA itenerary. Unfortunately, the price is outrageous.

Doug

PS: What I REALLY wish I could afford are the fantastic Antarctica sailings, especially by the small upscales. But prohibitive for me.

Archived