Rental car from Tulsa to Galveston & back

natdalton

This is what I'm thinking

Pick up car in Tulsa on Friday, drive to and drop it off in Galveston on Saturday. Take our Carnival Magic cruise Sunday 12/2 - 12/9.

On 12/9, since it is a Sunday, take Super Shuttle or cab to Houston airport, where the car rental agencies are open and rent a car to drive back home to Tulsa.

Has anyone ever done something similar? Is it cheaper to just keep the car for the whole week? I've never done anything like this or been to Galveston, so does anyone see any flaws in this plan.

Also, it will be cheaper if you do not pick it up at the airport.

A bummer is that since you will be driving out of State, there may be some charges added if you go over the miles.

A thing to consider is put a bid through price line for the vehicle you want. Not sure if this will work for driving out of state though.

While visiting Tulsa last year, I place a bid and secured a GM Impala for $15.00 a day including taxes and fees.

Thank you for the priceline suggestion.

The only reason i said we will pick the car up at the airport upon our return into Galveston Sunday 12/9. is b/c rental car agencies are closed on Sunday, except at the airport.

This is what I'm thinking

Pick up car in Tulsa on Friday, drive to and drop it off in Galveston on Saturday. Take our Carnival Magic cruise Sunday 12/2 - 12/9.

On 12/9, since it is a Sunday, take Super Shuttle or cab to Houston airport, where the car rental agencies are open and rent a car to drive back home to Tulsa.

Has anyone ever done something similar? Is it cheaper to just keep the car for the whole week? I've never done anything like this or been to Galveston, so does anyone see any flaws in this plan.

You need to do a dummy booking of whatever car rental agency you will be renting from. That will let you know what dropoff one way fees are. Also add the Taxi fees around Galveston and the shuttle costs to the airport to see which is cheaper.

Check off airport sites as they are usually cheaper than airport locations

While I like Hotwire/Priceline for last minute rentals. You can normally find same prices booking direct this far out and just check for price drops as you get closer

You could probably get a car for less than $200 for the week but it probably cost you that much just for the (2)one way drop off fees.

Parking lot we used is directly across the street. So convienent and its $50 for the week for outside or $65 for inside parking.

Thank you for the priceline suggestion.

The only reason i said we will pick the car up at the airport upon our return into Galveston Sunday 12/9. is b/c rental car agencies are closed on Sunday, except at the airport.

Some places do allow drop offs even when they are closed. They have a drop box for the keys, etc.

Some places do allow drop offs even when they are closed. They have a drop box for the keys, etc.

Drop off yes.. but what about PICK UP on a Sunday.. they are closed except at the airport. Right?

You need to do a dummy booking of whatever car rental agency you will be renting from. That will let you know what dropoff one way fees are. Also add the Taxi fees around Galveston and the shuttle costs to the airport to see which is cheaper.

Check off airport sites as they are usually cheaper than airport locations

While I like Hotwire/Priceline for last minute rentals. You can normally find same prices booking direct this far out and just check for price drops as you get closer

You could probably get a car for less than $200 for the week but it probably cost you that much just for the (2)one way drop off fees.

Parking lot we used is directly across the street. So convienent and its $50 for the week for outside or $65 for inside parking.

Ok this is what i'm going to do. Thank you for help walking me through this.

Drop off yes.. but what about PICK UP on a Sunday.. they are closed except at the airport. Right?

Yes they are. I was just thinking about the drop off. I never thought about picking it up on a Sunday. By the way, the Impala that I got through a bid on Priceline for $15.00 a day was picked up and dropped off at the TUL airport.

I have rented cars for cross country trips several times. Bets the heck out of driving my ranch truck at 13 miles to the gallon. I did it for one cruise one time.

Your best bet is to rent for the entire time as the drop off rates will usually scare the socks off most. Hertz, Alamo, National, Avis and I believe Budget allow their cars to go out of the rental state without penalties. The rest will hit you with some pretty steep penalties if you take them out of their assigned area. That would be a good reason not to bid for a car.

I usually find my best deals on the United Airline site using their car rental tab. I also have found that Alama Insiders will have some great last minute rentals. I ended up with a 7 passenger mini-van in Tampa for 5 nights for $60 through Alamo Insider. I had a full size car originally with Hertz($220 for the 5 days) but the night before our cruise left this deal popped on Alama and I grabbed it. With 5 people and all their luggage it worked out a whole lot better.

I have rented cars for cross country trips several times. Bets the heck out of driving my ranch truck at 13 miles to the gallon. I did it for one cruise one time.

Your best bet is to rent for the entire time as the drop off rates will usually scare the socks off most. Hertz, Alamo, National, Avis and I believe Budget allow their cars to go out of the rental state without penalties. The rest will hit you with some pretty steep penalties if you take them out of their assigned area. That would be a good reason not to bid for a car.

I usually find my best deals on the United Airline site using their car rental tab. I also have found that Alama Insiders will have some great last minute rentals. I ended up with a 7 passenger mini-van in Tampa for 5 nights for $60 through Alamo Insider. I had a full size car originally with Hertz($220 for the 5 days) but the night before our cruise left this deal popped on Alama and I grabbed it. With 5 people and all their luggage it worked out a whole lot better.

Thank you thank you thank you for your help!

Glad I could help. I travel a lot and try to save the folks who hire me as much as I can so have learned to shop for deals.

You also want to shop for secure parking. Espescially when leaving the car for the week. I also take out car rental coverage with Access America. They have the best rates and coverage that I have found.

You also want to shop for secure parking. Espescially when leaving the car for the week. I also take out car rental coverage with Access America. They have the best rates and coverage that I have found.

http://galvestonparkncruise.com/ Has inside parking for $65 for the week

Concerning car rental ins.... Most major CC have this included for free so check with you CC compay first before buying a secondary policy.

Also contact your insurance company to see what is covered with your regular policy.

Archived