Our experience on the Viking Long Boat - Idun

Atlanta World Cruiser

No difference. They will know who is still off the boat with picture ID cards too. It is scanned when you off and back on.

The low tech method that the River Boats use is effective and reliable. I know from the experience of a computer crash on a ocean cruise ship that left us all waiting on the pier for nearly an hour until they could get their sea pass scanners back on line!

The low tech method that the River Boats use is effective and reliable. I know from the experience of a computer crash on a ocean cruise ship that left us all waiting on the pier for nearly an hour until they could get their sea pass scanners back on line!

Not effective nor reliable. You can forget to exchange your room keys which happened couple times with us, be late and ship will sail without you. I prefer to wait until computer is restarted and fixed. It will also drastically improve security which we are discussing here.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight. I'm just an average guy who took his first river cruise last Christmas and had a wonderful time (couldn't invent a complaint if you paid me).

But, I have to admit that one of my private observations (kept to myself until this thread) was, "Darn, these river boats have little or no security".

A crowd gets off in the morning and a crowd gets back on in the afternoon. Sure, they passed out these cards to identify yourself, but no one seemed to be paying too much attention.

There was someone on station as you walked in, but they were often distracted and sometimes pulled away for another matter.

Now maybe I've read too many thrillers--and I'm not suggesting armed guards and retina scans, nor am do I expect any problems--but these European River boats put the word soft into soft target.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight. I'm just an average guy who took his first river cruise last Christmas and had a wonderful time (couldn't invent a complaint if you paid me).

But, I have to admit that one of my private observations (kept to myself until this thread) was, "Darn, these river boats have little or no security".

A crowd gets off in the morning and a crowd gets back on in the afternoon. Sure, they passed out these cards to identify yourself, but no one seemed to be paying too much attention.

There was someone on station as you walked in, but they were often distracted and sometimes pulled away for another matter.

Now maybe I've read too many thrillers--and I'm not suggesting armed guards and retina scans, nor am do I expect any problems--but these European River boats put the word soft into soft target.

Actually our western civilization "put the word soft into soft target". Each and every minute of every day our society presents an infinite number of "soft targets" so the odds are always on your side but if we dwell on this too much we would never leave our homes...but wait they are soft targets too!

Actually our western civilization "put the word soft into soft target". Each and every minute of every day our society presents an infinite number of "soft targets" so the odds are always on your side but if we dwell on this too much we would never leave our homes...but wait they are soft targets too!

Sorry, I just can't let you get away with that "all dogs are animals, are cats are animals, therefore all dogs are cats" argument.

We are talking about river cruise ships here and what I said was 100% correct.

I did not suggest we should not travel and stay home, I did not say we should dwell on this fact, and I did not compare river cruise ships to other aspects of our lives.

I was just saying......

My sincere apology to everyone for anything that I said which was viewed as rude. Sometimes my "curtness" is taken for rudeness. But I have a hard time understanding how changing to a "seapass" scanner system on a riverboat changes the security dynamic to any appreciable degree. I think the hotel analogy is still a good one in this case. I have often entered a European hotel while not being a guest to use a restroom etc. Those hotels use the same keycards as a riverboat to gain access to the guest rooms. Should we suggest that they too should have a photo ID system for their guests at the front door?

When the river boats are double docked, how do you propose to utilize a scanner on those passengers on the outer vessel that are passing through yours?

Riverboats absolutely should provide secure locks on the doors to all the passenger cabins like any hotel but just like all those european hotels that ask their guests to leave their keys at the front desk when they are out, the riverboat system of exchanging keys for a boarding pass seems reasonable.

Like a hotel, the riverboat is always within some police jurisdiction so there really shouldn't be any comparison with a ocean cruise ship that of course cannot call for police assistance when they are out to sea.

My sincere apology to everyone for anything that I said which was viewed as rude. Sometimes my "curtness" is taken for rudeness. But I have a hard time understanding how changing to a "seapass" scanner system on a riverboat changes the security dynamic to any appreciable degree. I think the hotel analogy is still a good one in this case. I have often entered a European hotel while not being a guest to use a restroom etc. Those hotels use the same keycards as a riverboat to gain access to the guest rooms. Should we suggest that they too should have a photo ID system for their guests at the front door?

When the river boats are double docked, how do you propose to utilize a scanner on those passengers on the outer vessel that are passing through yours?

Riverboats absolutely should provide secure locks on the doors to all the passenger cabins like any hotel but just like all those european hotels that ask their guests to leave their keys at the front desk when they are out, the riverboat system of exchanging keys for a boarding pass seems reasonable.

Like a hotel, the riverboat is always within some police jurisdiction so there really shouldn't be any comparison with a ocean cruise ship that of course cannot call for police assistance when they are out to sea.

Been reading all the threads regarding security on river cruise boats with great interest. A security scanner would be a good idea in times like these and it would make me feel more secure. We have made two Silversea expeditions (Antarctica and Svalbard-Arctic) where one hardly ever comes into contact with civilization ourside of the group you are traveling with but Silversea issued us with cabin (including photo identification) keys which were passed through a scanner every time we entered and exited the ship. Our photo popped onto the viewer screen and ship security knew exactly who was onboard or not at all times. When we initially checked on for our first sailing I thought security was over the top but it had an interesting side effect. Within two days every staff member in the dining room and lounge was addressing each passenger by last name. I was taken aback when that happened and I said "that is so formal, please call me John". After that, all the staff called me Mr. John...amazing! 5 days into the sailing a member of the engine room crew who I had never seen before called me by my last name. It was then I learned Silversea prints a little book with a picture of each passenger (taken at the security check-in) so the crew can study and learn the names and faces of passengers. That is a very nice touch. I believe the crew is tested on passenger recognition and they obviously take pride in being able to pleasantly converse with the passengers. Surely makes one feel welcome. The expedition ship carries only 132 passengers maximum so it's an easier task for the crew than it would be on a river boat with up to 40% more guests. Their effort is certainly appreciated and adds a degree of specialness to the sailing that is not enjoyed on bigger ships. The nature of expedition cruising is such that only small groups of people enter and exit the ship at the same time so delays checking on and off are minimal. On a river boat the delay would be slightly longer (when all the tour groups return to the ship at the same time but this can be alleviated with small scheduling changes so everyone does not return at once) thus prompting complaints from those who feel inconvenienced by going through the ID verification process. Personally I would like to be addressed by name when I participate on a river cruise and I would like to know the ship is looking out for passenger and ship security to a greater extent than what I have experienced in the past.

All the points shared on this thread are good. The nature of river cruises (boats being tied to boats) has its logistic concerns as it relates to safety. But the Boat that is docked closest to the Dock should have the ID security. This would stop non-passengers access to rooms and facilities.

As to Viking, their rooms have no inside latches that can be used to block Viking Staff and others from entering their room. In our case, we had a defective lock; someone opened our cabin door while we were asleep. Thank God that nothings was taken nor harm to us. For a cost of less than $50.00 per stateroom, this security exposure would be eliminated

Dear Grand Island Joe, I find it hard to believe there was enough wrong with your Tauck cruise to write a 3 page letter!

Atlanta, you have made your point and Viking has responded.

Many people do not realize that river cruising is so totally different from ocean cruising

For all that responded to the Thread on our trip. A few comments on those that did not understand my post;

Stateroom Door Locks (electronic card activated)

• Staterooms on the Viking river boats can not be locked from the inside. Crew or someone has a key or a defective lock will allow entrance into your cabin.
  • In our case, the electronic lock was defective. We found our stateroom door open when we work up; Not good
  • The Viking staff blamed us for not closing the door. Very rude behavior from everyone but the Hotel Manager, Gerald.
  • Gerald discovered the lock was not working properly and apologized for his staff's behavior

For the passengers that took 47+ Cruises, Well done!!!!!!!

Anyone wanting the experience of their life, try Cunard Ships in the Princess or Queens section. Absolutely First Class. Your cost per day is not that much over the Viking rate per day.

Best wishes to all for a great Cruise season

Dear Grand Island Joe, I find it hard to believe there was enough wrong with your Tauck cruise to write a 3 page letter!

Atlanta, you have made your point and Viking has responded.

Many people do not realize that river cruising is so totally different from ocean cruising

Since you were not on this cruise you can believe what ever you wish. Some of the issues were severe enough to require hospital visits and worse a police visit to the ship at 2A.M. at a non scheduled port. Unprofessional and rude coupled with dangerous situations are not the way I wish to spend both my vacation and monies. Think what you wish.

Anyone wanting the experience of their life, try Cunard Ships in the Princess or Queens section. Absolutely First Class. Your cost per day is not that much over the Viking rate per day.

Best wishes to all for a great Cruise season

Could you explain why someone on a Cunard ship would have the "experience of their life"?

Is it the cost/day that makes this so desirable? The level of luxury? The opportunity to spend days at sea not worrying about anything but your daily agenda? The feeling of "value for your money"? The entertainment? Just not sure what is driving your thoughts about this type of vacation.

It is not about the cost/day for DH and I - but the experience. I don't mind paying more for a a unique experience. But, personally, I resent paying any money if there is a risk I will spend time in my cabin wishing the cruise was over... which I will do the minute there are any rough seas.

Thanks, in advance, for responding.

Fran

Personally after my experience on a Cunard ship, I would never sail again with them. They are the only line with 3 classes where there are areas only open to those in the Grill classes.

Also the food is terrible unless you are in grill class. Plus the requirement for formal dress. Read some of the reviews about the ships.

Dear Joe,

I am so sorry that you had to experience that. The thing that confuses me is that I cannot find that mentioned in any of your posts. Please direct me to the post that addresses that situation

Thank you.

Because of the personal situation of the tragedy on board I have not written a review for public viewing. Believe me you do not wish what occurred on this cruise to befall any family. That was not the problems of which I has written the company. Before I go ahead and publish a review I thought it appropriate to give the company a chance to address the situations I had written about. But having not received any reply, not even a form letter I will publish a review in the near future. I understand your puzzlement .::)

Because of the personal situation of the tragedy on board I have not written a review for public viewing. Believe me you do not wish what occurred on this cruise to befall any family. That was not the problems of which I has written the company. Before I go ahead and publish a review I thought it appropriate to give the company a chance to address the situations I had written about. But having not received any reply, not even a form letter I will publish a review in the near future. I understand your puzzlement .::)

If it was truly Tauck at fault, we all deserve to know what the problem was since they have failed to respond to you. Always heard great things about Tauck and you are the first to have a legitimate complaint.

Dear Joe,

Thank you so much for clarifying the situation. We wish you nothing but calm seas and fair winds from now on.

Thank you Talisker. Love your web site and someday hope to travel a fraction of what you and your spouse have traveled. And top shelf to "boot". Happy and safe travels in the future.:)

Always heard great things about Tauck and you are the first to have a legitimate complaint.

I wonder how you would know that this is the first complaint against the cruise line??

Do you work for them?

Remember not everyone is on CC, only a small percentage of cruisers subscribe to CC & even smaller numbers to the river cruise forums

• 9 months later...

I just happened on this thread and was spell-bound reading all the posts!

We have only traveled on the Cunard ships (since 1993) but my daughter has been wanting to try a river cruise.

I am SO impressed with the Viking headquarters for their replies.

I just happened on this thread and was spell-bound reading all the posts!

We have only traveled on the Cunard ships (since 1993) but my daughter has been wanting to try a river cruise.

I am SO impressed with the Viking headquarters for their replies.

I think you need to read more than this thread prior to making a final decision. There have been a lot of threads with more recent experiences with Viking, both good and not so good.

Terri

I opened this thread to hopefully learn more about cruising on the Viking Longboats. Did not happen. I'm sorry OP did not like their river cruise, especially the security situation. Like many posters have said, river cruises are not for everyone but the market is expanding rapidly and new ships are being added all the time.

When I started river cruising in 2001 only Uniworld, Viking, and GCT targeted to the U.S. market with maybe 20 ships total. Now we have those 3 plus Vantage, Scenic, Avalon, AMA, Tauck, and others with 100+ ships to chose from.

I have been on 13 river cruises with the next scheduled for July. I used to be an avid large cruise ship traveler but switched to river cruises almost exclusively twelve years ago. I still go on an annual transatlantic cruise but that is mainly to recharge. The costs of river cruises are usually 3-4 times that of a large ship cruise but many (like me) feel the extra dollars are worth it.

I also like the OAT/GCT small ship cruises. They have 50 passenger ships and cruise the Riviera, Adriatic, and Greek islands. I've been on 2 of these with 3 more planned.

This post may be off the original subject a little bit but this thread seems to go every which way.

Roger

Archived