NCL Star is in Town:-)

Samstress

biggrin.gif The first major cruise ship to visit our little port city of Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada is the NCL Star and she's arriving tomorrow. And are we ever excited! Our city officials are pulling out all the stops to make sure that everyone feels welcome. They've even added a special dock for the tendering passengers & crew, with tented domes, the RCMP in full regalia, and a band to boot.

We're going to take our boat out to meet the ship....

Reminds me of pulling into Roatan on the Wind....we felt so darned welcomed with all the hoopla!

Ya gotta love the small town festivities....

Cheers and happy sailings,

Sandy.

biggrin.gif The first major cruise ship to visit our little port city of Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada is the NCL Star and she's arriving tomorrow. And are we ever excited! Our city officials are pulling out all the stops to make sure that everyone feels welcome. They've even added a special dock for the tendering passengers & crew, with tented domes, the RCMP in full regalia, and a band to boot.

Reminds me of pulling into Roatan on the Wind....we felt so darned welcomed with all the hoopla!

Sandy.

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Sandy.

So how did it go!? :)

Campbell River's loss is Nanaimo's gain. It was originally slated for Campbell River.

I'm happy for the citizens of Nanaimo, may more cruiselines take note of your beautiful city.

It was great! Our town did itself proud. We went down to the harbour front in the morning, and the city had set up welcome and info stations, as well as having a lot of goodwill ambassadors roaming the streets to help where needed.

Our open air craft market was in full swing and it was nice to see so many people walking around enjoying our city.

We then went out on our boat to where the Star was anchored. We took some friends who have never cruised, and needless to say they were quite impressed with the size & look of this beautiful ship.

Our nephew & his wife left this morning to go over to Vancouver to board the Star for the trip to Alaska.

Just as a side note....I spoke to a couple from Montreal and they mentioned that the tour director on the boat had said that Nanaimo was actually a very poor little town with not much to do or see & he wasn't sure whether it would be worthwhile even getting off the ship! Huh?? What's up with that kind of comment. Take a look for yourself.....

splash_logo_right.jpg

Anyway, here's the Star at anchor...she sure is a beauty!

791659120106_0_ALB.jpg

Cheers,

Sandy.

Oh My. How I would love to educate that tour director!! I lived in both Victoria & Qualicum Beach & obviously drove thru Nanaimo & did a lot of shopping, etc there. It is not a little town with not much to do or see! It is a prospering beautiful city with a lot of history!!

I am glad to see that more & more people will be able to appreciate our beautiful island!!!

Cheers from the "other" Sandy!!

I was on the Star Saturday when it visited Nanaimo and you town folks just as I said to our fellow cruisers put on a great welcome and even the rain held off for most of the day - myself I went over to Newcastle island and walked around - only criticism I heard was that some of the shop keepers were disappointed that you couldn't see the ship in town - it was hidden behind Protection Island - will post an image later after I transfer them from my laptop to my desktop - also does any one know why the animals weren't on top of the Coombs market - any time I have been their in the past you could see them.

Keep up the good work when the Celebrity Mercury visits in September.

Samstress can't access the second image:You don't have permission to access /photos1184/1/20/91/65/91/7/791659120106_0_ALB.jpg on this server

Cheers from Vancouver

Dennis

I have some pretty good pics of the Star at sea...but I'm lost as to how to post them here? I've spent the last 1/2 hour trying..which is amazing, since I'm not normally that patient! :)

Dennis..I'm not sure about the Coombs goats. Maybe it's that time of year when they need privacy:-))

But, I am so happy to hear that Nanaimo got a 'good' review. Give up the goods...what else did you hear;)

Sandy.

We enjoyed our stay in Nanaimo, although we left the downtown area as some friends from Qualicum took us out for lunch to the Longwood Brew Pub. We spent a bit of time down at the water after lunch and it was quite pleasant.

Nobody knew what to expect but those I talked to seemed to enjoy it - On the Tender back one couple raved about their floatplane tour and others had good comments about the waterfront area. It would have been good to have anchored in view of the waterfront but that has to do with the Captain and of course where the suitable anchorages are located.

Good job folks:)

Archived