Celebrity Constellation or the Grand Princess?

Micheller

Which is better - Constellation on a 14 night Scandinavia cruise for a family with two kids aged 11 and 8 or a 12 night Med cruise with the Grand Princess? We are looking at an ordinary outside cabin for 4 in the August holidays. Appreciate any comments?

We were on the Grand for a Med cruise in 1999 and on the Constellation for the Baltics (Dover over to St. Petersburg) a couple of years ago. If it were just you and your husband travelling, I would recommend the Constellation. The ship is more beautiful (especially the dining room) and the service is a little more upscale. However, since you are taking two young children, the choice is more difficult. I'm not sure what countries you'll be visiting on the Constellation, but if it's the same itinerary that we were on, the ports are definitely history oriented and I think that children would be completely bored.

That being said, on the way to our Med cruise, I sat next to an 11-year-old on the plane. When I saw him on the ship, I asked him how he was enjoying the cruise, and he said it was super boring. I honestly don't think your children will find much enjoyment in the Med ports either.

So, if you decide to leave them on the ship in the children's program, then you should choose Princess. I only saw about 5 kids on the Constellation (in June) and I'm not sure they even had a children's program.

Please let me know if you have any other questions concerning these two cruises.

We've been on both and I have to vote for the Constellation. My son, then 10, had a wonderful time and wanted to be in the kids program all the time. There are so many things for them to do, scavenger hunts, Play Stations, art area, late movies, bridge tour, ball pit.....The staff in the kid zone was absolutely wonderful, so much better than the youth staff on the Grand in 2000 Med. cruise. The connie youth staff all enjoyed their jobs and it showed. The Constellation is a beautiful ship and the extras made it our favorite cruise so far...

Without even comparing the ships, I'd go to Scandinavia in August, simply for cooler weather!

If you hit a heat wave like Europe got last summer, the Med could be so hot that everyone would be miserable while our sightseeing.

Our friends came back last summer and said, "Never Again."

I agree. Choose the Connie! We have sailed twice with kids on Celebrity and the kids programs were great. Although Princess is very good, Celebrity is just a notch above. On the other hand, you can't lose either way.

We did the Med on the Golden Princess (12 day) Istanbul to Barcelona in 2001 with an 11 and 14 year old. Did the Baltic sea in 2003 on the Constellation (14 day) with the kids - now 13 and 16. They both enjoyed both itineraries immensely. There were plenty of kids on board each cruise and they had a great time. The one thing we enjoy more about Princess on the port-intensive itineraries is PC dining. It is tight to get back to the ship and get ready for dinner after sightseeing on Celebrity.

Archived