Upsells/upgrades

xjust4fun

On our Alaskan cruise that just sailed the offers started about 3 weeks before sailing.

We had booked an SY Guar. We were offered an upsell to a SA-SC blind catagory for $349pp. I declined because a week or two before that they had been offering the same deal when you booked the SY Guar online (new bookings) for $200pp.

About 1 week before sailing we got another offer for the same deal at $249pp. I turned it down because we had already gotten our cabin assignment and it was close to the friends that were travelling with us. I didn't think we would use the amenities that comes with SA-SC enough to make it worthwhile.

Looking back, I probably should have taken the $249pp deal. Being we had done travelling prior to getting to the ship, we had laundry to be done. The first day when I put laundry in the bag the piece cost was $38. So, I bought the unllimited laundry for $49. We more than got our money's worth, but that would have been free with a Deluxe cabin. Also, the Neptune for appetizers and breakfast in the Pinnacle would have added value to our cruise. Oh well, live and learn.

For our cruise on the Amsterdam that is sailing this Friday we got an upsell offer for a balcony at three weeks. We didn' t take it and received another offer this last Monday. This one was 200 pp less than the first one.

And I'm sure it all depends on how full your ship is. Ours wasn't selling out, so they had a flash sale that sold alot of guarantees. They therefore had to free up some cabins and started offering upsells.

For our cruise on the Amsterdam that is sailing this Friday we got an upsell offer for a balcony at three weeks. We didn' t take it and received another offer this last Monday. This one was 200 pp less than the first one.

And I'm sure it all depends on how full your ship is. Ours wasn't selling out, so they had a flash sale that sold alot of guarantees. They therefore had to free up some cabins and started offering upsells.

When people ask why HAL is not offering the 14 day Amsterdam cruise next year, this could be one of the reasons.

Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't this the 14 day, round trip?

When people ask why HAL is not offering the 14 day Amsterdam cruise next year, this could be one of the reasons.

Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't this the 14 day, round trip?

We are on the Amsterdam, 14 day round trip from Seattle on the 24th of August to 7th Sept. and are looking forward to it. It has 4 ports we have not been to previously so that was of great interest to me. Sitka, Kodiak, Homer and Anchorage. We have been to the others but like them as well.

We still do not have our cabin assignment and they keep after us to do the registration but I don't feel like doing it until we get ouir cabin assignment so I can print it out then and not waste time and paper doing it twice.

Another reason for us, Seattle has direct non stop flights with Air Canada from Toronto and I prefer those. Less hassle.

This question was probably asked before so I apologize in advance for asking this......

When does HAL normally offer upsells/upgrades on their cruises??

3-4 weeks, also about the same time for move-overs for cruises that are oversold.

Archived