Gem Spa Pass

cruisincorgi

what makes the spa area so special ? I have booked a mini suite room, does it help to book a room where you get concierge and butler service ?? Not sure worth the money to up ? I need a handicapped room, because i have terrible walking issues, so I'm not sure upon waiting to board i"ll be able to get to those tables, or is these table to get these passes, after you board.. I feel I threw alot in this one question, but not sure what to do ? any Help

After you board and have lunch, go to the spa and take a tour if you are able. You can decide then if you want to buy a spa pass, and if it will present any challenges. You can buy the pass on board in the spa. I would just try to do this before dinner in case they do sell out.

Sounds like you need the handicap room, so I wouldn't bother upgrading to a suite unless you can get a handicap suite. Otherwise you will probably have difficulty with your bathroom.

• 3 months later...

My family (DH & adult children) bought spa passes for our Thanksgiving trip on the Dawn and we all thought it was well worth it - and the Dawn doesn't even have the heated tile loungers!

I was relaxing in the the thalassotherapy pool (like a jacuzzi you lay down in) and a woman got in next to me...she sighed and said, "The best $119 I've spent so far..." LOL - I totally agreed!

In my opinion, you're not paying so much for access as for exclusivity - you are one of a limited number of people, so crowding is really minimal (and I only saw it crowded on my last full day - everyone trying to get their last shot in - it still wasn't that bad).

As to the poster who said to use it after spa services, I don't think that's an option. People waiting for massages were allowed in the main relaxation room, but there was a sign on both the locker room and steam/sauna area that said it was a fee area and members only were allowed. I don't know that anyone checked, but when I got a massage, I was led out through a different door than the one to the paid spa area.

I liked the spa on the Gem, but when we sailed it was crowded all the time - it was "off season" which means less families, more couples - so that may factor in. It was nice but as far as relaxing - no. The jets were SO loud in the pool that I couldn't relax. The heated loungers were awesome, but hard to get. The little jacuzzis in the women's room were always full. So I wouldn't pay for the pass again, even though the spa was nice. I just never seemed to be able to utilize it without feeling like someone was waiting for my lounger, or I had to wait to get a spot.

Ditto the comments of poster above... we cruised in February and bought the spa passes to get away from the crowds and have a place to relax. The heated loungers were NEVER available unless you got there the moment the spa opened; same for the jacuzzis in the women's locker room (I got to use one once all week). And if you did score a heated lounger or jacuzzi, there was always someone looming over waiting to use it should you get up/out. The only chairs you could usually find were the regular loungers -- you can find the same ones right out on the deck for free! I can't say the spa was crowded but it definitely doesn't have enough facilities for the 100+ people who go in it on sea days.

I have been to the Jewel and Pearl spas and they were terrific! The Gem is the sister ship to the Pearl, so it has one of the best spas at sea. Worth every penny imho.

I have never been in the spa when it was too crowded, it ranges from 12 - 16 people in the main area to 3 - 4 on the cruises I have been on. They are only supposed to sell 100 passes, so if it is crowded that means those with the passes are going quite often and all around the same time, which is unusual. I found the spa most busy between late morning and mid afternoon on sea days.

I found it was very light mid afternoon on port days (we would get back a couple of hours before sailing time), before and after dinner, and early in the morning.

I never hesitate to do the spa weekly pass as I enjoy it so much.

I do agree the thlassotherapy pool showerheads are quite noisy, but people rarely turn them on and they are more like white noise to me, so no bother. What I do find annoying is people having normal to loud conversations, this is not the pool area. :D

L.A.S.T.

• 3 months later...

I have always enjoyed the spa as a safe haven to get away from the crowds

However, the last sailing(12/31) the spa was a bad idea

A lot of rude and loud foreigners(nothing against them, I am one) who felt the need to scream when they talked because the water sprayer was very loud.

And to my luck, every time I was in the spa they were there.

• 1 year later...