Newbie -- price drop - OBC - how/when?

carpeperdiem

Many of you speak of OBCs for price drops. I just used farewatcher at our base fare is now $60 lower. Our cruise is in 2 weeks.

Do we qualify for an OBC? I booked this through a TA as I didn't know any better -- do I have to ask the TA to get this price drop for me? We paid in full at time of booking.

OT for this thread, but I am wondering about using a TA in the future -- the TA did not do anything for us -- just took the reservation.

What is CCL policy on price drops and what booking classes must still be avail -- in my case, we got the 8C for an 8A instant upgrade (past guest rate) so our room is a confirmed 8C.

On fareviewer, it does not show an 8C - but it is offering these fares:

8E (Free Upgrade from 8A) $xxxx.00

8D (Free Upgrade from 8A) $xxxx.00

8B (Free Upgrade from 8A) $xxxx.00

So I am a bit confused -- we paid the 8A rate at time of booking (receipt from TA says category 8A), but we were instantly confirmed into an 8C room.

$60 is worth a call to the TA -- unless it's not even possible. WHAT ARE Carnival policies?

Will I give up the 8C room if farewatcher is only offering 8B, 8D and 8E? The 8D or 8E would simply be on a higher floor (we are on empress now) but basic location the same --

Thanks for the hand holding from this noob. Still learning. Thanks.

J

#1 you had to have booked ES to get a OBC after final payment. If you got a free upgrade, its almost 0 chance you booked ES .. so no OBC for you.. only upgrades if your TA will do it.

#2 you would usually have to give up your cabin, move to the 8D and price match to that price.. Im assuming that is what you did to arrive at $60? .. if you did book ES which you must not have.

If the 8D price is indeed $60 less.. or the 8E, I would call my TA. You dont price match to a category that is booked up.. have to price match to the next higher, and upgrade to it... sometimes they will not make you move but usually.

You can ask your TA to get the upgrade if you did not book ES, they might or might not.

We paid in full at time of booking. So there was no ES. So this is moot?

I guess my question is: does Carnival OBC for subsequent price drops after a paid-in-full booking (non ES) ?

All rates get price drops up until final payment (not if you paid in full, but carnival's final payment date). You dont say if you paid early so making this distinction.

I would call and ask to move up to the category that now matches what you paid.

You mention you paid for a 8A .. so thats why I know you didnt book ES.. and even if you had.. it doesnt matter what you paid for.. you always have to price match to the category you are currently booked in?

Call and ask for a upgrade if the 8D, or 8E is now cheaper.. thats probably all you can do. Im asusming you are past final payment though.

After final payment the only ones getting OBC are those that booked ES. If not ES and after final payment there could possibly be an upgrade. Your TA will have to call and check if that can be done.

I'd like to add that booking direct with carnival you get the same amenities as a travel agent. (nothing)

carnival does not allow discounts so the price you see if what it is across the board.

Archived