Upgrading Cabin once on board

scorben

We did a guarantee oceanview for our cruise, and it looks like we got the crappiest room in the category.

Is it possible to upgrade your cabin once on board? Does anyone know how this works?

Unfortunately, that's the risk you take when you book a guarantee. Sometimes you make out by getting a nice cabin for a low price, but in general you have to be prepared to receive the worst cabin in the guarantee category you selected.

Other passengers have told tales about trying to upgrade and Celebrity saying they could -- so long as they paid the difference between the heavily-discounted guarantee fare they booked and the going rate for the available cabin they wanted.

If you booked through a travel agency, you could try contacting them to see if there's anything they can do for you.

Hi, Scorben - The one time I've done a Guarantee cabin on a Celebrity cruise, we were assigned a cabin in the category we booked, which we expected, but I wasn't happy with the location of the one assigned to us. I checked the travel websites and could tell that others in the same category were still available in better locations. I called our travel agent and he was able to get us switched to one of those cabins. Just a thought, might be worth a try if your issue is the location.

Based on that experience and the stories I've seen on CruiseCritic that Celebrity doesn't upgrade, I don't book Guarantee cabins on Celebrity anymore but I pick the specific cabin I want. By contrast, we've booked guarantees on both Princess and HAL and have been very happy with our assignments, including the occasional upgrade.

We always choose our cabin in advance. The ships are sailing at full capacity most of time now. Try asking your travel agent what cabin can be found within your catagory. If the ship is full nothing will help the situation.

I apologize for posting a response to this thread that is different than the intent of the thread. However, I have a few questions for CapinBoyton about their June 2003 med. cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas and I don't know how else to reach them.

CapinBoyton - If you read this, I would really appreciate your response to an e-mail that I am posting in the Europe area under ports of call. We are also considering a June Med. cruise and have seen your website and have a few questions that I believe you can help me with. Thanks so much!

Hi, CAPinBoynton - Guilty as charged! We still have the reservation to go on the Infinity coastal cruise in August but aren't sure we'll keep it when we have to make the final payment in three weeks (June 9th?). That cruise, combined with a transatlantic cruise in November (Millenium) and some family obligations makes us max out our vacation days for the year. So I haven't really participated in the Roll Call for a while not knowing whether we'd really go. If we don't go, it would be a full year between cruises for us; not sure if we can survive that long!

Archived