Customs - Vancouver / US

DorothyB

My 3 afternoon arrivals into YVR from SEA have all ended in a 45-90 minutes queue for Immigration. Probably the keyword is "afternoon".

Next Saturday I fly into Kelowna...hopefully they are far less busy. I've read there's a new Canadian/US initiative to increase security around the common perimeter and ease transborder crossings of people and commerce.

Agree that waits entering the US are awful...the way LAX treats non-US citizens is downright embarrassing!

Next Saturday I fly into Kelowna...hopefully they are far less busy.

Fortunately the a/c that fly to YL aren't bigger than 70 pax. The immigration area is temporary, as can be folded away.

I've read there's a new Canadian/US initiative to increase security around the common perimeter and ease transborder crossings of people and commerce.

SPP. Haven't heard much about it recently. I think a sticking point is that the U.S. wants veto power on who is admissible into Canada. I'd vote for a government who puts a stake through the heart of such an initiative.

Next summer we disembark our cruise in Vancouver on Aug. 2 which is a Friday. My understanding is that Monday (Aug 5 ) is a BC holiday and lots of people will be taking a "long weekend" due to the holiday. I have seriously considered taking the train to Seattle and flying home from there to avoid the mess at YVR. I am being unrealistic?

I know the scenery from the train will be great and we'll enjoy the ride and the flights from Seatlle should be less expensive, but flying straight from YVR would be more convenient.

The August weekend holiday is observed in all provinces of Canada except Quebec and Newfoundland - Labrador so while people don't necessarily fly for the weekend, it is an opportunity for people to start their summer vacations early so you may find increased activity at YVR. That said it should not impact the volume of traffic at Canada customs materially.

While much ado is made about the traffic at YVR it is certainly no worse then trying to fly out of LAS as a major convention is winding down or out of FLL when 8 cruise ships arrive in the morning.

My 3 afternoon arrivals into YVR from SEA have all ended in a 45-90 minutes queue for Immigration. Probably the keyword is "afternoon".

Next Saturday I fly into Kelowna...hopefully they are far less busy. I've read there's a new Canadian/US initiative to increase security around the common perimeter and ease transborder crossings of people and commerce.

Agree that waits entering the US are awful...the way LAX treats non-US citizens is downright embarrassing!

I noticed last time I entered Canada through vancouver that the Canadian express line feeds into a series of automated machines that read your passport, and process your customs card. That helps make things go a bit faster.

I noticed last time I entered Canada through vancouver that the Canadian express line feeds into a series of automated machines that read your passport, and process your customs card. That helps make things go a bit faster.

Yes, that is a wonderfully fast option. The machine scans your iris which is already on file.

Not quite. The machines em-sk is referring to is the Automated Border Clearance self-help machines which is reserved for Canadian citizens and permanent residents. They're not Nexus and have no biometrics so the person using the machine does not have to be the person with the passport.

You don't even need passport present with Nexus (which uses iris recoqnition). Not sure if it detects the card (RFID) or simply iris recoqnition in the database.

The machines em-sk is referring to is the Automated Border Clearance self-help machines which is reserved for Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

I'm American, but if I can belt out "O Canada" from memory can I use the automated fast lane too? :D

I'm American, but if I can belt out "O Canada" from memory can I use the automated fast lane too? :D

Good luck, I am a Canadian but live almost half the year in AZ (you know ...taxation without representation), have a NEXUS card and can sing "Jose Can You See" by heart .... but I still have to use the "All Others" line in US ports.:D

Good luck, I am a Canadian but live almost half the year in AZ (you know ...taxation without representation), have a NEXUS card and can sing "Jose Can You See" by heart .... but I still have to use the "All Others" line in US ports.:D

Even funnier...:)

I think people forget that Canada is another country from the USA, and going on an cruise from Vancouver is different than going from Miami or LA. if you are American, just as if you were flying into London England or Paris France from the States you have to go thru customs/immigration.

NEVER have I waited at a european border in lines such as these. I am sure that on occasion any border can have bad back up, but it would be the exception, not the rule.

The distressing part of this was it was considered "routine"!

Since I am not a "cruiser" my baseline has nothing to do with what to expect getting on and off cruise lines in the US, only with what to expect to find in the range of normal for traveling internationally...

This was NOT it...

I saw a bumper sticker this afternoon, "Taxation WITH representation may be even worse!" :D

Exactly a week from right now I should be relaxing in Kelowna after riding an 80km section of the Kettle Valley Rail Trail. Driving to meet a friend in Vancouver on Tuesday. We're going to spend the rest of the week on Bowen Island. (Since we're taking the BC Ferry this post has cruise-related content!)

Archived