Parking at Cape Liberty/Bayonne

OBX-Cruisers

The last time we cruised in December the line into the port area to drop off luggage was long, slow and once there the drop off process was chaos.

Does anyone know if you can bypass the luggage dropoff and go directly to the parking area and wheel your own luggage to the dropoff area?

What turn/road would you take to bypass the luggage area?

Also, I hear mixed stories about Premier Parking outside the port. Anyone with suggestions or experience with that cheaper alternative?

Thank you.

There's no way to bypass the luggage drop off. It's all the luck of the draw. What time did you arrive before? I have usually arrived about 10:30 and it's fine, but one time we waited about 30 minutes and another time there was absolutely no one and the porters were uninterested in unloading our car. Just bring your patience and it will be fine.

Here's the most recent thread on Premier Parking. There's more out there if you're interested. Basically it's a choice we don't recommend. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1160277&page=140&highlight=premier

When you go into the parking area, go halfway through and make a left, look for the opening in the fence, and cross the inbound road to the other side. This will put you on the same side as the terminal next to the handicapped parking.

it is a one way road...as you approach the tent area...stay in the left lane which is, supposedly, the bypass lane...you may move a little...or not...

yes it stinks, but it really should not be that long of a delay....plan to arrive between 10-11......

I have heard mixed reviews about Premier Parking too, but if you decide to park there you can get a coupon at longtermparking.com and the cost is I think around $5 or $6 less per day to park there than the port parking.

I have heard mixed reviews about Premier Parking too, but if you decide to park there you can get a coupon at longtermparking.com and the cost is I think around $5 or $6 less per day to park there than the port parking.

Thanks a bunch to all who responded. I think I will just park at the port and give up on the idea of Premier. Last time we arrived about 11:30 and I will take the advice to arrive earlier this time.

There must be SOMETHING that they could do to make this drop off easier. That 2 lane catastrophe with people pulling in, pulling out, inching forward etc. etc. is quite ridiculous...........but gotta do it I guess.

Our last trip returned on December 24th........I wouldn't wish that on anyone as the porters do not show up and the usual chaos becomes many times worse.:eek:

There must be SOMETHING that they could do to make this drop off easier. That 2 lane catastrophe with people pulling in, pulling out, inching forward etc. etc. is quite ridiculous...........but gotta do it I guess.

Our last trip returned on December 24th........I wouldn't wish that on anyone as the porters do not show up and the usual chaos becomes many times worse.:eek:

It's a working port/warehouse area. The few days per month a cruise ship is there is a very small part of the business in that area. The entire area must be secured at all times because there is a lot of warehousing with some valuable products inside (one is a large booze warehouse).

The entire parking/drop off idea is to keep the cruise passengers away from all the truck traffic if the cruise happens to leave on a weekday.

If they start building all the mixed use development that has been planned for years in the area with a lot of the vehicle traffic blocked off and only accessible to foot and bike traffic, it will be even worse.

Archived