Does this make sense for Newark/NY transportation plans?

Jaberwocky

After much reading and researching, this is our plan for our upcoming cruise out of Manhattan Pier, and our plans for after the cruise. Please let me know if this sounds like a good plan or if I need to revise somewhere.

Arrive at Newark Airport 9:30 Monday morning. Take Newark Airport Express bust to Port Authority. From there, take cab for short ride to the pier. (We usually fly in a day early, but that's not an option this time. We do have a direct flight and insurance if there's a problem.)

After the cruise, we plan to take a cab to Schwartz Luggage Storage and then walk up to 51st. Street (Theater District) to catch our tour bus at 11:00. After the tour we will just walk around the area and have dinner somewhere. After picking up our luggage at 355 W. 36th Street (between 8th and 9th St.), would it be safe to walk to Port Authority to catch a bus back to Newark Airport, or should we take a cab? It would be before dark. Once we get to the airport, we will call the shuttle from the Hampton Inn where we are staying before flying out the next morning.

We live in a small city with very little public transportation, and we have never been to New York City, so just want to make sure our plans are feasible and safe. Thanks for any replies -hope this post makes sense!

The plan sounds reasonable to me. I don't see a problem walking from Schwartz Travel to Port Authority - its only about 4 street blocks. You don't really have to decide between walking and a cab now. After you drop your luggage off, you can walk from Schwartz Travel to the airport bus stop on your way to 51st St and decide if that is something you want to do at the end of the day.

Are you staying at the Hampton Inn at the airport (as opposed to the Hampton Inn on Staten Island)?

It is very safe, just be prepared by the amount of people walking on the streets. Just keep walking, don't talk or look at anybody, act like you know what you are doing.:) The cab stand is on 8th Avenue in front of the Main Entrance.

Archived