cruise Director???

Hi

I've never been on a cruise before and still have awhile to wait yet. Why does it matter what CD there is? What do they do on the ship? I honestly have no clue sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Don't worry - no question from a first-timer is silly.

The Cruise Director is in charge of all of the activities and entertainment on the ship.

He leads some activities, but has a large staff.

Some are particularly visible.

Some have great personalities.

If you have a great one, you will know.

If you don't, you probably won't notice.

:D

There are a LOT of people on this message board that will tell you that CD makes or breaks your cruise. Personally, I do not find this to be true at all in 99% of cases.

The CD is basically the focal person from the ship on your cruise. The captain is in charge of making her go places. The CD is in charge of entertaining you. They open up the shows. They make announcements. They are the hosts of a lot (seems like almost all) of the competitions and parties. They are the main announcer if your ship has a promenade parade.

Most of them, you can either ignore them or smile/laugh/clap along without it being a huge deal.

I've only had one experience where the CD was over-the-top annoying and she isn't in the fleet anymore (I last heard she was in the head office doing training), so I'm good. She was everywhere. You couldn't walk anywhere without running into her. I honestly thought she was following us. She would squeal in the hallways and make these super hyper announcements all day long. She wore these crazy, outlandish outfits and you could hear her 300 feet before you could see her... which is saying a lot with the outfits. You would hear "HELLLLLLLLLOOOOOO LOVEEEEEEE" and we would flee the other direction.

The rest have all done a much better job at just making everyone welcome and getting people ready for the events they are hosting.

Archived