Transportation from London airport to hotel

My tour company is offering $25 per person for the transfers, is this worth it or should I try and arrange something privately? There will be about 12 of us

$25 (about £16) per head door-to-door from airport to central London hotel is pretty fair for two, perhaps three.

But multiplied by 12 is around £200

You should be able to pre-book a van to suit 12 + luggage at around £100 (from Heathrow) or £130 (from Gatwick).

Sorry can't help with a recommendation, hopefully others can.

Or Google. Use the UK word "minibus" rather than "van" in your search, & be wary of a simple on-line quote for a 12-seater which doesn't mention luggage.

There's a huge choice, try to find one which actually operates the service rather than a booking agency (I don't know of any operator offering a service UK-wide).

And do check out prospective suppliers for reviews, a proportion will be unreliable.

JB :)

We've used Heathrow Shuttle a couple of times now and have found them to be very good and reasonably priced...of course, with just two of us, it's a "shared shuttle" service, so we've made other stops at other hotels or at other terminals on our way...but we've been okay with that...it's far less expensive than a taxi...

With a larger party, they will probably be able to quote you a good price on a private transport...

http://www.heathrowshuttle.com

Good luck...

My tour company is offering $25 per person for the transfers, is this worth it or should I try and arrange something privately? There will be about 12 of us

My recommendation is check which of London's 5 airports you're landing at. Each has good/bad transportation options. I'm suspecting for 12 people, you may be able to rent a mini-bus for a tiny bit less.

In 2012 the price of a 12 seat private hire with meet and greet with one hotel drop 140-170 GBP from Heathrow and 170 GBP from Gatwick so the price you have doesn't look bad.

It really depends where your hotel is in London whether an airport train will be both faster, more comfortable and cheaper than a vehicle.

Archived