Culinary Class

Solon

I took three classes on the Marina and enjoyed them all. They were very well done. There were a few observers but I didn't mind. I enjoyed the hands-on aspect and the wine and food which the observers did not have. Our classes were between two and three hours.

For those who took these classes. Did you learn anything you didn't already know that you could actually do in your own kitchen when you got home? Did the cooking involve ingredients you would usually have on hand or could easily get? Will you ever make anything you learned to make again in your life?

I'm just trying to understand if it's cooking lessons or entertainment.

If I laid out $$$ for a small class, and they let in anyone to watch,which is large portion of the class to me, I would feel rather upset. What am I paying for...

Classes I took on Regent, came with apron, towel, chefs hat, and note book along with the big Codon Blu book. No observers were allowd.

True - no "observers" in the actual Cordon Bleu classes BUT my husband showed up at the end of each session, as did several other spouses, and tried what we had cooked. No one objected!! Too bad there are no more Cordon Bleu classes on Regent - but I am really looking forward to several classes on our Jan Oceania cruise!

True - no "observers" in the actual Cordon Bleu classes BUT my husband showed up at the end of each session, as did several other spouses, and tried what we had cooked. No one objected!! Too bad there are no more Cordon Bleu classes on Regent - but I am really looking forward to several classes on our Jan Oceania cruise!

Considering your history of Culinary education, I think that you should be aware that the classes on Oceania are more about "food appreciation" than actual learning or instruction.

The classes are charming, fun and almost always tasty, but don't expect much in the area of serious instruction.

We took a few and not only had a great time, we did learn a few tricks for the kitchen. You'll have a lot of fun during the class. One word of caution, don't take the early class in the morning, during the cruise we took the clock moved ahead from time to time because of time zones---so it's really early. Next cruise afternoon classes only.

Rick

some of the classes are listed as 90 minutes. Very enjoyable and worth the cost - except they should let you have your apron to keep. if a class is full you can still sit in and listen and observe.

On the Riviera we were able to buy the aprons for $20 each and were very happy to do so.

Archived