Dead Sea Swim

Delilah21

On our forthcoming cruise - Athens to Istanbul - we have booked the excursion that takes in the Dead Sea. What is it actually like to swim in? If anyone has experienced this, would really like to hear from you. Is it usual to wear a swimsuit for the swim rather than a bikini?

On our forthcoming cruise - Athens to Istanbul - we have booked the excursion that takes in the Dead Sea. What is it actually like to swim in? If anyone has experienced this, would really like to hear from you. Is it usual to wear a swimsuit for the swim rather than a bikini?
We did that Regent excursion last year and were glad we did. It is a unique experience to swim/float in the Dead Sea. Take your bathing suits (not many bikinis, if I recall) and you are provided a changing area. Key is to take a long shower before you get dressed and return to the bus, Lots of salt on the body. Excursion also included fascinating trip to a famous mountaintop fortress where many Jewish people gave their lives rather than surrender -- name escapes me this morning but it begins with an M. Long day but memorable. Bring something to read on bus trip.

We did the same excursion last year although I did not go in the Dead Sea. There is an interesting sign that says No Swimimming in the Dead Sea, just floating. It amazing to see people in the water. We loved Massada and it was very warm, even in December. The view was magnificent and the story amazing to hear. You can really see from up there how much the Dead Sea has receded. DH said it was his favorite excursion in Israel.

We did the same excursion last year although I did not go in the Dead Sea. There is an interesting sign that says No Swimimming in the Dead Sea, just floating. It amazing to see people in the water. We loved Massada and it was very warm, even in December. The view was magnificent and the story amazing to hear. You can really see from up there how much the Dead Sea has receded. DH said it was his favorite excursion in Israel.

Yes, Massada was terrific. Thanks for help with that famous name.

You don't want to "swim" in the Dead Sea because you don't want to splash water into your eyes because of the salt. And be careful not to touch your eyes with your wet hands. Definitely don't shave your legs the day you go into the water. I'm not sure how the salt affects bathing suits, so my suggestion is not to wear your favorite/new suit.

It's an amazing experience to be able to basically sit on the water, and I recommend it.

I didn't do that excursion, I was worn out after three long tours in Isreal, but my husband did and he said it was the best of all our excursions, so of course now I wish I had gone.

As stated above you just float in the Dead Sea.

We went to Masada and then to a resort by the Dead Sea. Our experience was the bottom of the sea was quite muddy and slimy and not very level. You could walk out a few feet and find there would be a big hole in the mud. Many people would lose their balance and go down fast. You couldn't see where you were stepping and you didn't know how level it was where your feet were going. Funny to watch people take this mud as they were floating and put it on their bodies. Mud bath for sure!! My DIL thought she would wear her sandals into the sea. I believe one of them is still somewhere sucked into the mud there !! LOL

All in all we are glad we did it but unsure we would do it again.

You don't want to "swim" in the Dead Sea because you don't want to splash water into your eyes because of the salt. And be careful not to touch your eyes with your wet hands. Definitely don't shave your legs the day you go into the water. I'm not sure how the salt affects bathing suits, so my suggestion is not to wear your favorite/new suit.

It is a wonderful experience.. your skin feels so good after the salt water...but it will sting if you have any cuts..

It also feels so good to be at the dead sea due to low altitude. The air is over oxiginated and you feel so good.

It is a wonderful experience.. your skin feels so good after the salt water...but it will sting if you have any cuts..

It also feels so good to be at the dead sea due to low altitude. The air is over oxiginated and you feel so good.

Many thanks for your advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Swimming/floating in the dead sea is not to be missed. Regent usually combines it with a visit to Massada and the trip is well worth it. We went there this April/May and it's on of our fondest memories (floating in the dead sea on our 30th anniversary...what a memory :-) )

The guide we had to Massada was more than outstanding. He put history and the meaning of Massada for the nation of Israel into perspective, gave a great historical connection and was a fountain of knowledge. Guides can be hit or miss, but this one was outstanding.

Ok, the DEAD SEA. Regent takes you to a resort where you (most likely have some lunch) and then have two hours to "visit" the water. The resort is filled with visitors from all over the world (many seem to remember the dead sea when it was still sick :-) ). You pick up a towl and change in the provided changing rooms (primitive and not that clean unfortunately...). You then walk over to the water. Be careful as the water is very very salty and will sting your eyes. Float on your back or always, always keep your head over water. Aquasocks or sandals are helpful, so are sunglasses or goggles. But it's not a big deal if you are careful. The water feels soapy and silky, smooth...and much warmer than the temperature indicated. Some people can only stay in for 10 minutes, others for much longer...it feels great...don't miss it.

Afterwards, you shower the salt off and then take a dip in the pool...

(then the ...changing room again).

Enjoy it...it's well worth it

Swimming/floating in the dead sea is not to be missed. Regent usually combines it with a visit to Massada and the trip is well worth it. We went there this April/May and it's on of our fondest memories (floating in the dead sea on our 30th anniversary...what a memory :-) )

The guide we had to Massada was more than outstanding. He put history and the meaning of Massada for the nation of Israel into perspective, gave a great historical connection and was a fountain of knowledge. Guides can be hit or miss, but this one was outstanding.

Ok, the DEAD SEA. Regent takes you to a resort where you (most likely have some lunch) and then have two hours to "visit" the water. The resort is filled with visitors from all over the world (many seem to remember the dead sea when it was still sick :-) ). You pick up a towl and change in the provided changing rooms (primitive and not that clean unfortunately...). You then walk over to the water. Be careful as the water is very very salty and will sting your eyes. Float on your back or always, always keep your head over water. Aquasocks or sandals are helpful, so are sunglasses or goggles. But it's not a big deal if you are careful. The water feels soapy and silky, smooth...and much warmer than the temperature indicated. Some people can only stay in for 10 minutes, others for much longer...it feels great...don't miss it.

Afterwards, you shower the salt off and then take a dip in the pool...

(then the ...changing room again).

Enjoy it...it's well worth it

Thank you so much Franzr that is incredibly helpful. I have purchased aqua socks and goggles!

Archived