Tell me about your Blue Island Dive in St Thomas

BillOh

Ok, I've made my reservation with Blue Island in St Thomas. Several factors went into my choice, among the top reasons were good comments here. Now that I have made my reservation and have 245 days to wait, tell me what you liked about them and where you dove. They list several dive sites and my correspondence with them indicates they pick a dive site that day based on conditions. I suspect maybe the skills of the divers there might have bearing? When I go, it will be Wednesday and we will be the only ship in port, so I'm hoping for a possible small dive group If you have been to one of the dive sites mentioned on their website, I'd love to hear about it.

Wow, amazing, I can't wait to get back to St Thomas. Not sure what I think about wreck diving though, that would be a different experience. I didn't have a camera for my Buck Island dive, but the coral was fantastic and I could have looked at that alone for awhile.

I was really surprised that they took us right into Miss Opportunity. I'm certified in wreck diving, but not wreck penetration and that's what we did. It was at about 100 feet in depth and I think the wreck was about 100 feet long. We swam from one end to the other through the cargo compartments. I kept an eye on the openings as we went through (first picture), and on my dive buddy, who often was careless. He wasn't wreck certified at all, and actually got hung up on the exit. Regardless, it was a cool dive.

Thanks for the info, I went ahead and made the last pic my wallpaper on my work computer to hold me over till May. Wreck diving does intrigue me, but I've made up my mind I want to get in a few more dives before I go for any more certifications. I had just passed my OW certification and we were sitting on shore debriefing when a lady had an incident. That incident, even to me was an easily avoided one, but I remember she had just finished her OW the week before and was going for another certification already. I plan to do a pool dive with an instructor in Feb or March just as a refresher.

You can dive wrecks without that certification, just stay on the outside. I've done several wreck penetrations now and feel comfortable with them, but I've always been able to see an exit. I doubt I'll ever try one where I need a line, but you never know.

Here are some pictures from my latest trip to St. Thomas. The group of corals and the turtle were on (and in) the WIT Concrete Boat. The turtle was especially cool when he came out from inside the boat. The crew said he always hangs out there.

The eagle ray was a pleasant surprise. That was in Hidden Valley, and I had just lost both my buddy and the rest of the divers. I knew my buddy would be okay, and it was too hard to look for him in all the little canyons there, so I proceeded with a solo dive, which I love to do. I came over an edge and here was this beautiful eagle ray below me. I followed him and got a lot of great pictures. Oh, I also hooked up with my buddy and the group back at the anchor line so all ended well. LOL

coral1a.jpg

turtle1a.jpg

ray1a.jpg

Was OW certified in a midwest quarry a month ago, four ocean dives scheduled second week of September. Those are really cool photos! What kind of camera did you use? Just bought a Sealife 1400, practiced with the camera for the first time tonight in our pool and took boring pictures. I hope to see and photo a ray, turtle and some neat stuff. See any sharks? I'll probably wet my wet suit, but hope I do!

I use a Canon G-11 inside an Ikelite case with an Inon strobe. The first pictures I posted were before I purchased the strobe. I almost always am shooting in macro mode.

We didn't see any sharks at St. Thomas, but we did have fun with them in Nassau on the same cruise:

shark2a.jpg

shark1a.jpg

shark3a.jpg

You can dive wrecks without that certification, just stay on the outside. I've done several wreck penetrations now and feel comfortable with them, but I've always been able to see an exit. I doubt I'll ever try one where I need a line, but you never know.

This is a subject I know nothing about, but clearly you recognize my hesitation. As long as an opening is big enough that I can get through easily and have a dive buddy I would be open to it.

I use a Canon G-11 inside an Ikelite case with an Inon strobe. The first pictures I posted were before I purchased the strobe.

Is that a Caribbean reef shark? I can probably only recognize a couple of sharks easily - Great White, Hammerhead, and Tiger. I've wondered how they would react to flash photos.

Yes, those are reef sharks. I had a strobe flash on all those pictures. They had no reaction to the flashes. Neither did the reef and lemon sharks in Polynesia that I photographed last year.

On the other hand, try not to splash too much when at the surface. That's a good way to get a shark interested in you. ;)

Laurie - Did you dive with Stuart's Cove in Nassau? We did a shark snorkel with them a few years ago before we got certified, I can't wait to go back and dive with them now. Thanks for sharing the pictures - they are great. Does Blue Island always go to that wreck or did you request it? I know I am not ready to go inside of wrecks so I would rather do some reef diving and since Blue Island got such good reviews I would like to dive with them.

Yes, I did the ship's excursion on Oasis since sailaway was at 2 pm and I didn't want to take a chance being late. I still was one of the last people getting onboard, but at least I was able to get some conch fritters and do some shopping at the terminal after diving. LOL

Blue Island has lots and lots of dive sites to go to and they choose depending on the conditions. They knew I had been to Miss Opportunity and the Chrysler before, so they took us elsewhere. Also, we had brand new divers with us and a paraplegic diver, so Miss Opportunity was out of bounds since it is at 100 feet.

My buddy and I got our 100-foot dive on the WIT Concrete Boat because we went to the bottom. The DM kept the other divers on the deck, which was at about 50 feet. It was a great dive for everyone.

I enjoyed my dives with Blue Island last year and will be diving with them again a month from today :)

I don't remember the names of the sites (I'm taking my log book next time :p) but one of them was a wreck dive. I am not wreck dive certified but it was no problem, the wrecks were mostly skeletons (no hull), so you could see out the other side when entering.

I was lucky, the ratio of divers and crew was one to one; boat captain and two DMs for three divers.

Happy diving! :::::virtual shaka:::::

I enjoyed my dives with Blue Island last year and will be diving with them again a month from today :)

I don't remember the names of the sites (I'm taking my log book next time :p) but one of them was a wreck dive. I am not wreck dive certified but it was no problem, the wrecks were mostly skeletons (no hull), so you could see out the other side when entering.

I was lucky, the ratio of divers and crew was one to one; boat captain and two DMs for three divers.

Happy diving! :::::virtual shaka:::::

Cala,

I hope you will remember this thread and come back and tell us/me how it went.

I just noticed this diver's backup regulator flopping around loose. I would think that would be a bad idea, especially on a wreck dive.

Yeah, that was my former dive buddy. He got stuck exiting the Miss Opportunity wreck for a minute, but not because of the reg. He was using rental equipment.

Edited by Laurie S.

Here are some pictures from my latest trip to St. Thomas. The group of corals and the turtle were on (and in) the WIT Concrete Boat. The turtle was especially cool when he came out from inside the boat. The crew said he always hangs out there.

The eagle ray was a pleasant surprise. That was in Hidden Valley, and I had just lost both my buddy and the rest of the divers. I knew my buddy would be okay, and it was too hard to look for him in all the little canyons there, so I proceeded with a solo dive, which I love to do. I came over an edge and here was this beautiful eagle ray below me. I followed him and got a lot of great pictures. Oh, I also hooked up with my buddy and the group back at the anchor line so all ended well. LOL

coral1a.jpg

turtle1a.jpg

ray1a.jpg

Laurie:

We have two cruisers with us on Oasis Oct 6th to Nassau, St thomas, St Martin....one is certified and one will be taking the PADI course on board which includes two dives. Do you know which ports they will dive in?

• 1 month later...
Cala,

I hope you will remember this thread and come back and tell us/me how it went.

Got back from my cruise last night, had a fantastic time!

Unfortunately I am not a photographer like Laurie S., my photos are few an far between and nowhee near the quality of hers!

St Thomas I dove with Blue Island Divers for the second time (dive master was Gene). We were at Flat Cay and Chrysler. It was even better than last year!

St Lucia I dove with Tikaye/Island Divers (dive master was Curtis). Both dives were near the Pitons of off Jalousie Beach. Got stung a bit by some tiny jellyfish (felt like a mosquito bite). but saw lots of great sealife.

St Kitts I dove with Kenneth's Dive Center (dive master Vijay - no idea how to spell his name!). They were a little annoyed that I couldn't go barefoot due to a medical condition (plantar fasciitis). Can't remember the name of the first dive site but the second was Donut. This was probably the best dive; the DM had a tablet and when he found something interesting he would write it down and show us. We saw two nurse sharks, two jumbo lobsters, 2 huge crabs, five eagle rays, three stingrays, and several cow fish. He also pointed out the elusive sailfish.

I had a great vacation but now I need another week off to recuperate!!

Got back from my cruise last night, had a fantastic time!

Unfortunately I am not a photographer like Laurie S., my photos are few an far between and nowhee near the quality of hers!

St Thomas I dove with Blue Island Divers for the second time (dive master was Gene). We were at Flat Cay and Chrysler. It was even better than last year!

St Lucia I dove with Tikaye/Island Divers (dive master was Curtis). Both dives were near the Pitons of off Jalousie Beach. Got stung a bit by some tiny jellyfish (felt like a mosquito bite). but saw lots of great sealife.

St Kitts I dove with Kenneth's Dive Center (dive master Vijay - no idea how to spell his name!). They were a little annoyed that I couldn't go barefoot due to a medical condition (plantar fasciitis). Can't remember the name of the first dive site but the second was Donut. This was probably the best dive; the DM had a tablet and when he found something interesting he would write it down and show us. We saw two nurse sharks, two jumbo lobsters, 2 huge crabs, five eagle rays, three stingrays, and several cow fish. He also pointed out the elusive sailfish.

I had a great vacation but now I need another week off to recuperate!!

Glad you enjoyed the cruise! My husband is diving with TiKaye in St. Lucia. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Did you spend any time at the resort?

I looked at the site but don't have my fav's listed but I have always used another op. Of the ones they have depending on your group and the conditions if you can get to these.

1. WIT Shoal-The current can really get ripping out there. It has some great growth on it and with its location it makes for a good oasis for sharks, rays, grouper.

2. Miss Opportunity- Like others have said its a wreck with a swim through area they lead you in. It will take you front to back of the wreck with some rooms inside they may or may not take you in. Again a good spot to see sharks. I have done this dive 3 times and have always seen sharks including one dive with a monster female bull shark.

Both of these dives are deeper. I would have to look back but I think in the 90' range.

As long as you get away from like the navy barges & Sprat those are the ones everyone goes to for new divers, cruise groups, etc. and are pretty lack luster dives overall.