Smoking policy on Costa

hal lover

If you book an inside or oceanview cabin on Costa, what is their policy for smoking? Can you smoke in your cabin or not? Info that I am finding is not clear to me.

PLEASE.. this is just a question not intended to start a warfare!:eek:

I love HAL but their smoking policy is going to break me if I have to book a balcony for my nasty habit..

Thanks in advance!

offically, because i just called costa a few days ago, smoking IS allowed in your cabin and on your balcony.

another poster has confirmed this, in fact has it in the form of a written guarantee.

whoever is saying otherwise is blowing smoke...

and i agree with you, OP, i will not sail with hal any longer.

offically, because i just called costa a few days ago, smoking IS allowed in your cabin and on your balcony.

another poster has confirmed this, in fact has it in the form of a written guarantee.

HAL will always be my first choice, but it never hurts to check around. I've been looking at the Costa cruise's and checking out their web site. Good price's for inside stateroom's.

Okay thanks for the clarification. Attached is the picture I took on the Costa Deliziosa. This is a page in the book that is placed in the room that describes the ships features, amenities, services, etc. Hope this clears up some confusion. Cheers.

Sean

1241481641_photo(34).jpg.d036016d43bb2e06a36c79f10bd2467d.jpg

Okay thanks for the clarification. Attached is the picture I took on the Costa Deliziosa. This is a page in the book that is placed in the room that describes the ships features, amenities, services, etc. Hope this clears up some confusion. Cheers.

Sean

thanks! i can just make out the last line about asking your cabin steward for an ashtray.

• 1 month later...

Sean

Hi.

Its impossible to read the policy about smoking....

They told us..no smoking in cabin and balkony....and this is nov. 2012

Non smokers here, but we did buy some duty free for a gift. Cabin steward saw them and asked us if we wanted an ash tray - but was quite clear, it was for the balcony. He said it twice, if we want an ashtray FOR THE BALCONY, he would get one. Our neighbours were smokers and they did it on the balcony.

May I suggest you treat it like an ordinary hotel, or a work place, and smoke outside. ie, on the balcony.

Hey CTW - so funny for me now to read this, I got up 3-4 weeks ago - and just suddenly quit - I'm done - So my guarantee now - means nothing to me lol.

But yup - I will be that evil "cough cough" next door hah!:p

Just like that, patches, e-cig and stopped in a heartbeat :)

The hellish thing is - they are right - it does stink - my DH is still smoking and its causing rather a few rows at home lol! Me - the walking black cloud - 40 a day - done - over - its history

Still going back on Costa though - Have to be honest and say the trip on Magica actually was a contributing factor to me stopping. It was unbelievable with smoke. I couldnt stand it and I was a smoker. On NeoR - the areas were smaller for smoking and MUCH more ventilated. Magica was enough to start the ball rolling for me - and make me want to quit.

BUT I am now - very much looking forward to spending more time on NeoR in the martini/dance bar which as is non smoking, spent little time there last cruise and thought it was a beautiful bar but we missed out being smokers.

Now - my whole world just opened up again...

There you go - miracles do indeed happen! :)

Non smokers here, but we did buy some duty free for a gift. Cabin steward saw them and asked us if we wanted an ash tray - but was quite clear, it was for the balcony. He said it twice, if we want an ashtray FOR THE BALCONY, he would get one. Our neighbours were smokers and they did it on the balcony.

May I suggest you treat it like an ordinary hotel, or a work place, and smoke outside. ie, on the balcony.

Chances are the steward himself did not smoke - and didnt want to have to deal with cigarettes in the cabin - (cant blame him). But Costa's policy still does indeed for smoking inside the cabin - not just the balcony.

I'm not sure how I will feel now having quit - I am already very smoke smell aware even in a short time. But - I will never complain as I have chosen the cruise (initially as a smoker) knowing the policy.

I cant see Costa following other lines policies. On Magica OMG - it was just a haze of smoke. And people so very very young - with babies and children..I was quite shocked that youngsters smoked so heavily. At least around 70% of people on that cruise seemed to smoke. Crew are smoking heavily in public - officers and hotel staff. Think it could be quite some time before Costa make any changes.

On Atlantica last week, smoking was a non issue. I was a bit concerned about the policy they have. There was a smoking bar, I have no idea which one it was, we walked around a lot and smoke never was an issue. lots of Italians, German and French on board but never actually saw anyone smoking.

perhaps the ship has a very efficient air con system.....but it was like being in a non smoking environment. I think even the europeans are giving it up.....cost?

On Atlantica last week, smoking was a non issue. I was a bit concerned about the policy they have. There was a smoking bar, I have no idea which one it was, we walked around a lot and smoke never was an issue. lots of Italians, German and French on board but never actually saw anyone smoking.

perhaps the ship has a very efficient air con system.....but it was like being in a non smoking environment. I think even the europeans are giving it up.....cost?

Hi all.

Thanks for all your answers. What I wanted was something from Costa cruise about their smoking policy. It does not say anywhere on homepage that its not allowed to smoke in cabin and balkonys, so thats confusing me. Suppose to go 27. nov for 17 days on Atlantica, but I think we give it up as we still love to smoke in the cabin and can get a straigt answer to if we can or not.

Thanks anyway

Have a nice day

On the Costa Victoria, Sept. 30 - Oct. 7 (Shanghai - Japan - Shanghai) smoking was not allowed in the staterooms.

It seems there is no consistant, fleet-wide smoking policy on Costa.

HUH:confused: That's not good.

Whether a smoker or a non smoker - I think its vital cruiselines are firm on their policy and don't spring suprises (either way) on people when they board. It can be a deal breaker for some. UK deposits are non refundable and people will check smoking policy prior to booking, but if they move the goal posts, I think its truly unfair and unjust.

We stopped cruising Celebrity when they banned smoking on balconies (might go back with them now teehee) - but had non refundable deposits down.

That's bad enough, but to board a ship thinking one can smoke in their stateroom, when one cant - is just wrong.

Make a policy fleetwide one way or t'other and stick to it!

Crazy!:(

Whether a smoker or a non smoker - I think its vital cruiselines are firm on their policy and don't spring suprises (either way) on people when they board. It can be a deal breaker for some. Make a policy fleetwide one way or t'other and stick to it!

Crazy!:(

Absolutely!

~~~~

Costa

Smoking is only allowed in designated areas in most public rooms onboard. However, smoking is prohibited in the restaurants, corridors, elevators, stairwells, and show lounges.

Subject - Cabin

and more: Interesting facts

-

Is it possible to smoke onboard?

In the Theatres, Restaurants, Buffet Restaurant (indoor), corridors, halls, lifts and in the stairwells smoking is strictly forbidden.

There are reserved smoking areas in the lounges.

Pipes and cigars may only be smoked in designated areas.

For fire and safety reasons please remember to put cigarettes in the ashtrays provided and never throw cigarettes overboard

Thats all I can find about smoking on Costa ships.

Nothing about smoking in cabins and balkony!!!!!!

The last one is from Costas homepage. We have send emails to Costa but they dont answer.

All other cruiseline has a very clear policy about smoking which I think is great..no doubts at all where to smoke and not to.

eks: Holland America

Holland America

All showrooms and dining areas on Holland America's vessels are non-smoking. Designated smoking and non-smoking areas are available in most lounges. Cigar and pipe smoking is permitted on the outside decks only. As of January 15, 2012, smoking in passenger staterooms is prohibited. Smoking is permitted on stateroom verandahs.

But thanks again folks :-)

Hi again.

After many attemts to get hold of them by phone....I got an answer to my smoking q. Its allowed to smoke on balkony....I ask them to put the information on the costa website....nice to know BEFORE you go. Im happy now, so we might go now. Smoking on balkony is just fine for me :-)

When I called Costa, I was assured that smoking is allowed in the cabin and on the balcony. I will be holding them to that. This was a couple weeks ago - sailing 19NOV2012

How confusing that is....

Have you got this is writing to?

• 3 weeks later...

I've figured it out -

The Costa smoking policy is deliberately vague to allow changes as pax demographics and circumstances dictate. They're not stupid; and short of hitting the rocks, the worst that can happen on a ship is a fire at sea.

If a cruise is marketed heavily in a country where approx. 90% of males smoke and use the floor (interior or exterior) as an ashtray; and the majority of pax on a given cruise are from that country, the 'line' (I'm guessing the captain in consultation with the hotel manager) will institute a 'No Smoking In Staterooms' policy for that cruise. I've seen this happen on the Victoria out of Shanghai.

I've figured it out -

The Costa smoking policy is deliberately vague to allow changes as pax demographics and circumstances dictate. They're not stupid; and short of hitting the rocks, the worst that can happen on a ship is a fire at sea.

If a cruise is marketed heavily in a country where approx. 90% of males smoke and use the floor (interior or exterior) as an ashtray; and the majority of pax on a given cruise are from that country, the 'line' (I'm guessing the captain in consultation with the hotel manager) will institute a 'No Smoking In Staterooms' policy for that cruise. I've seen this happen on the Victoria out of Shanghai.

In many bars and cafe's in Europe, you will frequently see signs :

"When the floor is full, please use the ashtrays"

Many find the sign funny...they know not that its actually quite serious.

Archived