Nikon P510 For Alaska?

I am in the market for a new camera and am keeping our upcoming trip to Alaska in mind while shopping around. I want something easy convenient but still good that's hastle free. Have been looking at the nikon p510 superzoom. It's 16.1 mp with 24-1000mm zoom. Anyone used this???? I do not know a ton about photography but would like your thoughts....would this be okay for Alaska????? Going to look at one soon not sure if the clarity is there with the zoom....

One issue with super zoom lenses is that the optical quality decreases as the zoom power increases.

Whether or not the optical quality decreases to the point it is objectionable is the issue, and what one person might find objectionable, another will not.

Personally I would not want such a lens, but that is just me. You might find it is OK for you.

One thing to consider; you will not even be able to use the 1,000mm focal length without a tripod, as camera shake alone at 1,000mm - even with image stabilization - is going to be a significant issue. Unless you can get the shutter speed up to around 1/1000th (minimum), which basically means a bright sunny day, you will have blurry photos just from the inability to hold the camera steady.

So unless you are going to commit to using a tripod, you are paying for a focal length, you will not be able to use. And you carry the extra penalty of having a marginal lens - regardless of what zoom setting you use.

If you are wanting to stay hand-held, consider 400mm the maximum. Even then, you may end up with a marginal lens if you go with a bridge camera, but perhaps not quite as marginal as the 42x lens on that camera.

If you can, try to stay at 12x or less for the best optical quality of the lens.

I had an earlier version of the Nikon superzoom camera (24x) and I agree that at the longer zoom range you would need very steady hands or a tripod. Mine performed well in both bright sunlight and low light during a trip to Petra and Luxor but that was mostly at short or mid range...I have since upgraded to a Conon DSLR but these are some of the Nikon pics

DSCN0146B.JPG

DSCN0210.JPG

DSCN0371.JPG

DSCN0375.JPG

I am in the market for a new camera and am keeping our upcoming trip to Alaska in mind while shopping around.

I have not used the Nikon P510 but I had Google'd the camera and checked out the dpreview which is almost a bible for me.

Seems to be a good camera and if the light is right, the extreme zoom will certainly get those animal shots in a place like Denali.

However, you should consider the Panasonic FZ200 - dpreview seemed to believe that the (predecessor) FZ150 was a better bet.

The FZ200 is a replacement (for the better) to the FZ150. However, the zoom range is not as far reaching as the Nikon.

We are going to Alaska end of this week. After a lot of research on dpreview, decided on the Panasonic DMC-FZ200. Max range is 600mm, picture below was taken at 600mm 2.8. To me the perfect camera, will fit in a case on my belt (easy to carry around) and give me the range I need for our trip and great for low light. If you find a camera you like, go to the dpreview.com forum and read what owners think, sure sold me.

Good luck.

Tom :cool:

P1000007.jpg

Great tips....tommui987 and c23ok are you both referring to the same camera?? Is panasonic dmc fz200 the same as panasonic fz200?? I am going to do some research on this one

Yes DMC-FZ200 is the Panasonic number, also check Amazon.com for their customer reviews.

Another quick question for you camera experts! If we were looking to buy a compact camera (one that fits in your jacket pocket) which would you recommend. Are there any that would be suitable for those distant wildlife shots and landscape shots in Alaska? Or would I be better off with something like the Panasonic FZ200? I still really enjoy the ability to carry the camera in my pocket or a small case on my belt. Your thoughts.......

Another quick question for you camera experts! If we were looking to buy a compact camera (one that fits in your jacket pocket) which would you recommend. Are there any that would be suitable for those distant wildlife shots and landscape shots in Alaska? Or would I be better off with something like the Panasonic FZ200? I still really enjoy the ability to carry the camera in my pocket or a small case on my belt. Your thoughts.......

I would just pick up an inexpensive P&S for pocketing and still get the FZ200. I carry a Sony HX5V for the "dinner" shots and quick panoramas, etc.

The best all-around camera is usually two or more cameras!

Dave

Thanks Dave. We do have an inexpensive Kodak Easy Share P&S now. Guess we'll stick with that and then go with the Panasonic Lumix FZ200 as you suggested.....that is if we can find out where to buy it! I'm sure I can order it online...but I'd really like to feel and hold it first!

Guess we'll stick with that and then go with the Panasonic Lumix FZ200 as you suggested.....that is if we can find out where to buy it! I'm sure I can order it online...but I'd really like to feel and hold it first!

See if your local store has a Panasonic FZ-150 and you will get a general idea of the lay out of the FZ200 and check out Google for reviews of the FZ200 including the weight and how it differs from the FZ-150.

Amazon, B&H, Adorama are mail order houses in the US that have the FZ200 (or at least they advertise it!) I don;t know what customs duties you may have to pay in Canada.

Good luck!

Since these cameras take HD Videos....do you have to have an HD TV or computer to play them back on? If you don't what will you see when you play it back?

If you play them back on a computer, the basic playback software will usually scale it down as far as you need. On a non-HD TV, the output from the camera may not display correctly. The HDMI output on my Sony A77 plays fine on our new LCD but gave an "invalid format" error on our older Pioneer plasma when played at full resolution.

Most cameras allow you to choose the output format to allow for this and if not, the FZ200 allows for recording in reduced resolution down to VGA (640x480) which should play on anything.

Dave

I have a Canon SX 40 "superzoom" with a lens that goes to about an 810mm equivalent. The optical quality is not as good as my DLSR but it is pretty good for a camera that costs about half of what I paid for my "walk around" lense.

Here is a picture I took of the US Capitol from about 11 blocks away.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/mmkbx75/IMG_0197.jpg

This picture I took on our Med cruise this summer from about 1/8 mile offshore.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/mmkbx75/Amalfi3.jpg

Dave....the FZ200 is 24X zoom which is equivalent to 25mm- 600mm. Does that mean it's the same focal length as a 600mm lense on a DSLR? Or is the superzoom focal length not comparable to a DSLR focal length? P.S. I am going to be taking a little photography course in hopes that I'll learn some stuff...just curious in the meantime! I'd like to learn more about apeture etc. Been doing some research on my own to try and teach myself. My goal right now is to take a picture that has a subject in focus in the foreground and the backgroud blurred. Simple probably...but I'm just getting started!

Dave....the FZ200 is 24X zoom which is equivalent to 25mm- 600mm. Does that mean it's the same focal length as a 600mm lense on a DSLR?

Don't want to jump on Dave's answer - but if he does not, 600mm is 600mm whether on the FZ200 or a DSLR. The difference would be the sensor which takes down all the information.

Dave....the FZ200 is 24X zoom which is equivalent to 25mm- 600mm. Does that mean it's the same focal length as a 600mm lense on a DSLR? Or is the superzoom focal length not comparable to a DSLR focal length? P.S. I am going to be taking a little photography course in hopes that I'll learn some stuff...just curious in the meantime! I'd like to learn more about apeture etc. Been doing some research on my own to try and teach myself. My goal right now is to take a picture that has a subject in focus in the foreground and the backgroud blurred. Simple probably...but I'm just getting started!

Not the same at all. While focal length is focal length, for marketing purposes it is shown as "equivalent focal length". The 35mm film format that the "equivalent" is based on used a rectangle of film that measured 24mm x 36mm. The high end DSLRS use sensors that are the same dimensions as 35mm film. These are referred to as “full-frame”. Most of the DSLR models use a sensor that is about the same size as the frame of an APS-C film camera, about 24mm x 16mm. Because the diagonal measure of an APS-C sensor is only about 66% of a full 35mm frame, it only captures the central area of the image circle projected by the lens. The end result is that the “equivalent” focal length of a lens on an APS-C camera it 1.5 times what it would be on a full-frame camera (1/.66 = 1.5). This is called the “crop factor” since the effect is the same as cropping the center out of a full-frame image and enlarging it. The Four Thirds standard uses a sensor that has one half the area of full-frame and, therefore, a crop factor of 2.0x. A 50mm lens on a 1.5x crop factor sensor would give the same apparent magnification as a 75mm short telephoto on a full-frame sensor or 35mm film. The same lens on a Four Thirds sensor would perform like a 100mm telephoto.

The actual focal length of the FZ200 lens is 4.5mm-108mm but since the sensor in a superzoom is much smaller than even the ones used in the Four Thirds, the "equivalent" focal length is 25mm-600mm. A side effect with a small-sensor camera is that the depth of field remains pretty much the same, so getting a blurred background is difficult .

Hope that helped.

Dave

Not the same at all....................................... .........................................................................................................

Hope that helped.

Dave

:confused: Dave, you must know your stuff :eek: :D

I hope to be versed enough in DSLR's some day to be able to grasp all of that.

I'll have to read it again,,,only slower next time.

Jeff

Archived