Best time of year to visit alaska

Meggiemoo

That said, there just are no guarantees when it comes weather in Alaska, as the previous post has pointed out, they had nothing but rain in early September, two years ago in the same period we had lovely warm weather and the year before that we had some terrible weather.

From reading these boards since 2007, I agree that there are no guarantees when it comes to weather in Alaska. However, it seems like the worst storms I have read about are the ones that can come in September. Yes, many get rained out anytime during the cruise season, but it seems like those September storms, if they hit, cause the most havoc with the cruises......missed ports...missed glaciers....lots more rocking and rolling of the ship.

From reading these boards since 2007, I agree that there are no guarantees when it comes to weather in Alaska. However, it seems like the worst storms I have read about are the ones that can come in September. Yes, many get rained out anytime during the cruise season, but it seems like those September storms, if they hit, cause the most havoc with the cruises......missed ports...missed glaciers....lots more rocking and rolling of the ship.

For me, it's been 18 years, that consistantly the foul weather potential is greater in Sept. I picked up $350 trips several time, when they used to give away the Sept sailings. Always was far better on my earlier trip that year, I never just did Sept. But hooking up a northbound sailing and getting into Denali earlier Sept- is a highlight- superior scenery and northern lights always seen in my trips. I did do a southbound Sept trip this year, BUT I go to Alaska frequently and for extended timeframes atypical of the general visitor. So it is not my first recommendation for infrequent visitors, not receptive to increased negative weather potential.

I love the mid to end of May/first of June. I have gone many years during this time and thankfully, I have had awesome weather.

My worst (coldest/wettest/foggiest) weather was the week of 4th of July. My hottest temp also happened to be the week of July 4th.

I prefer the cooler weather with snowy mountains at the end of May/first of June. I go to Alaska to get away from the heat. I have cruised probably 10 plus times in Alaska.

Archived