airbnb rentals in san jaun puerto rico

buffyblue

HI

We will be in PR at least 2 days pre and post our cruise. Has anyone ever stayed in someone's apartment through airbnb? Any suggestions or advice? A specific place etc? A little help would be wonderful. We have never tried this route before.

TIA

I have never used this service, but have rented many houses/apartments/condos from VRBO.com. I would just be careful, pay with a credit card! And read your rental contract carefully. Never wire money.

I don't like the fact that the rental conditions aren't clearly listed on the postings I read. Also take a look at VBRO.com, and you can go to the San Juan forum on Tripadvisor and ask advice and search for additional vacation rentals.

Edited by 6rugrats

I used airbnb for our recent stay in Greece (3 nights post cruise, 5 bedroom villa). Don't know if we got extremely lucky, but the owner of the house was so, SO helpful in arranging transportation, advice on what to see and do, etc.

If I needed something like that again, I'd use Airbnb again without any hesitation.

My niece has used airbnb several times and has always had good experiences. I helped her choose a place to stay for her recent trip to Boston and was really impressed with the airbnb website. The listings had good pictures and seemed to have real honest reviews - not just a bunch of fluff. I'd choose a place with lots of reviews that are consistently good. If you have questions that aren't covered in the property descriptions (pets, smoking, parking, etc.) you can contact the host and ask before you make the booking.

• 2 years later...

We've used AirBNB many, many times (though not in PR) and loved it! We always stay with hosts that have reviews and carefully read through them to identify potential issues beforehand and decide if they will negatively affect our stay. After a while all those hotel rooms start blending together, but we'll always remember the properties we've stayed at through airBNB. I love their uniqueness and all the kind hosts we've met who go out of their way to make our stay a memorable one.

The only time we had a problem was when we were going on an early morning excursion and our car got accidently blocked in in the driveway. We tried calling, but we weren't able to reach our host. Luckily he had allowed us use of his bikes so we pedaled to the nearby meeting point as fast as we dared on his rickety bicycles. They had kindly waited for us, so we didn't miss out on anything and ended up with great memories of biking through Haleiwa. :cool:

Edited by Enigami

I've used airbnb twice in PR, and had good experiences. I booked the hostel Posada San Francisco as my first airbnb booking, because I liked the fact that the owner doesn't get paid if I don't feel comfortable with the property. Other booking sites, though a bit cheaper, I didn't feel comfortable with because they seemed to favor the owner.

I booked another property in Fajardo, and though it was clean and very affordable, the owner wasn't as flexible as we needed. The reviews warned about noise, but we thought we could handle it. WRONG! We spent a few hours looking for earplugs and they were of little help.

Will definitely use airbnb on future trips to PR. I like connecting with locals.