Question re Rental Cars in Whittier

melaniepeg

We will be in Whittier aboard the NCL Dream June 2 for 9 hours. Does anyone know if there are rental cars available in Whittier or only in Anchorage? Thanks.

Mel

melpeg@mindspring.com

You can book directly online with the Avis in Whittier. I rented one for around $76 which holds 4 people. You can go to Anchorage or other places a lot cheaper than taking the train or coach.

:)

Avis has a one-way drop fee of $100~125. So you need to include that.

A one-day rental from Whittier to Anchorage or vice versa generally costs $200.

It's still a good deal for 4 people in a car.

We will be in Whittier aboard the NCL Dream June 2 for 9 hours. Does anyone know if there are rental cars available in Whittier or only in Anchorage? Thanks.

Mel

melpeg@mindspring.com

You are not needing a one-way are you? It sounded like you have a 9hr in port time and you will be reboarding your ship. So you can do the one day rental for around $75. :)

If you're driving from Anchorage to Whittier, or RT through the tunnel, then keep in mind to also factor in the $12 per car tunnel toll.

If you're thinking of renting a car and aren't planning to go through the tunnel, then be aware that you can easily walk around Whittier, no car is necessary. Unless you want to drive to the Portage Pass Trailhead - but if you have that much time in port, you may want to walk to the trailhead anyway.

We have rented a car from Avis in Whittier for $94 a day. We will be in Whittier from 8 AM to 5 PM. Is this enough time to drive to Anchorage and see the sights? Ideas on how to spend 8 hours in this area? Thanks.

Mel

melpeg@mindspring.com

Disclaimer: I have not been and am only going on what I have read.

The drive from Whittier to Anchorage is between 2 to 3 hours. The tunnel someone mentioned earlier is shared by cars and trains. (only one at a time) Also, the cars can only go through one direction at a time. You should go to http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/index.shtml and look at the schedule to see how feasible your trip would be. It may be worth it to drive up and back - even if you don't get to do anything, since I hear you can see all there is to see in Whittier in less than an hour. :rolleyes: You may also want to look into things to do along the way (like POrtage Glacier) and don't try all the way for Anchorage.

Maybe some of the Alaska experts can help you out.

Good luck.

The drive from downtown Anchorage to the Whittier tunnel was 1-1/2 hours (including a 10 minute stop), then about 10 minutes to get through the tunnel, and you're right there. But it could take longer if you have to wait for the tunnel - our driver knew to get there just when the tunnel would open for vehicle traffic our direction.

But the poster above has a good suggestion - there are plenty of things to do along the Seward Highway without going into Anchorage itself, and in fact a lot of people sightsee from Anchorage out along the Turnagain Arm.

Mel

melpeg@mindspring.com

Mel, I tried to send you an e-mail but it was blocked and I could not open the link to allow access.

I just noticed you said you were going to be in Whittier on 6/2 on thre Dream. Did you mean 6/3? The Dream leaves from Seattle on 5/30 and will be in Juneau 3. If you are also on this sailing, please join our roll call on the Roll Call forum or send me an e-mail from my previous attempt. We have 15 people in our group and we have set up a Cruise Critics Meet and Greet.

:)

A car rental is an excellent option. You do need advance reservations. But do YOUR HOMEWORK and have a plan of route and activities. Good option is to head to Anchorage, then maybe north if you want a little off the beaten track. Eagle River Nature Center, Eklutna Spirt house tour if native history is of interest, drive Hatcher pass with a mine visit? Anchorage has plenty to offer, request their visitor guide- http://www.anchorage.net In the other direction, Seward COULD be an option perhaps with good planning and an early start? Hope is worth the drive, fishing is excellent out of Cooper Landing, plenty to see and do.

Archived