Silver jewelry and the hot tubs...

Bibble

So I'm sitting in the hot tub, reading the notice about how time in the hot tub can discolor silver jewelery. I am a gold wearer, look down and say "I'm good". Later on I realize that one bracelet is twisted silver and gold. Oops.

Yes, the silver is now discolored as a matte tarnish color. I went out and bought jewelry cleaner, soaked and swished everything, but the silver bracelet is still tarnished looking.

Before I go buy tarnish remover and try that, is there anyone out there who has experienced this, and was able to get it back to normal???

Thanks!

So I'm sitting in the hot tub, reading the notice about how time in the hot tub can discolor silver jewelery. I am a gold wearer, look down and say "I'm good". Later on I realize that one bracelet is twisted silver and gold. Oops.

Yes, the silver is now discolored as a matte tarnish color. I went out and bought jewelry cleaner, soaked and swished everything, but the silver bracelet is still tarnished looking.

Before I go buy tarnish remover and try that, is there anyone out there who has experienced this, and was able to get it back to normal???

Thanks!

It's a chemical reacton between the chlorine & the silver. You might try using a soft brush & Dawn & letting it soak for a while. Your best bet is to take it to a jeweler & have it cleaned. The gold is softer, & you don't want to mess that up.

Thanks for reminding me. I have a pair of silver earrings made by my brother the jeweler, & I'd hate to have them tarnished.

You need something like Nevr-Dull. This type of cleaner actually

removes a very fine layer of the silver and exposes a "fresh",

shiny layer. Great stuff and your bling will look good as new. :)

Nevr%20dull.jpg

This happened to me in the hot tub on the Glory, only that one for some reason. A woman in there with me suggested toothpaste, went back to the cabin and scrubbed with toothpaste & a wash cloth, good as new!

Be very careful using toothpaste to clean your jewelry! Toothpaste is abrasive. While this is a good thing for cleaning plaque off your teeth, it can scratch gold and softer gems.

Had that happen to me with a Cape Cod bracelet.. I ended up having to use an actual silver polish to get it back to its normal luster.. you know, the paste stuff.

You might also try one of those polishing cloths.. I've had good luck with that, too, to a lesser extent.

Thank you EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

I'll start with one idea and move on to another if I need to.

I truly appreciate all the responses. My mother in law gave this to me, and I'd hate for her to see it this way :(

Well I used toothpaste and a soft toothbrush last night (It's a thick silver rope chain with a thin gold running through it - the worse places were where the rope twists into itself, so I couldn't use a rag) and it worked!!!

Thank you everyone who responded!!!!

You need something like Nevr-Dull. This type of cleaner actually

removes a very fine layer of the silver and exposes a "fresh",

shiny layer. Great stuff and your bling will look good as new. :)

Nevr%20dull.jpg

Haven't seen Nevr-Dull in ages! My first job while in college was in a shop that sold a lot of brass items, and that's what we used on the brass. Great stuff!

Archived