So many choices...

ltzol

Hi everyone. Just a little bit about my family, so that you can make informed suggestions: it will be me, DH, DD (12) and DS (8). We have been on 2 Disney Cruises (both on the Magic) and last year we tried the NCL Epic. We love Disney, but actually liked Epic better (although the 8 year old was the lone dissenter and will always be loyal to the mouse). We usually sail the Caribbean in January, so keep in mind that I have been spoiled by both kids sail free and great off-season rates.

That said, I am not comfortable taking the kids out of school this year, so we are going to try spring break :eek:. I though we would like to try RCCL this year and experience Oasis or Allure, but the sticker shock is getting to me. As an aside - we do like to cruise in balcony cabins.

I am a research junkie, and here are some of the options that I have uncovered:

Navigator of the Seas - Balcony (D1) 3,598. (plus about $175 in OBC)

(Western itinerary) * this is a resident rate*

Celebrity Reflection - Deluxe Veranda $4102 (may be able to get prepaid grats)

(Eastern)

NCL Pearl - Mini Suite $3809.64 ($100 in extras)

(Western)

I think I like the itinerary on X a little more (no Jamaica) but I am worried that although the ship is brand new, and its Spring Break, the kids will be bored after experiencing Disney and The Epic.

Any suggestions from all you seasoned cruisers? I know that everyone has their favorite cruise line, but so far we have loved everything we have tried. I really do want to keep the cost down around $4000 since I still have to factor in plane tickets, excursions, etc...

Thanks in advance!

That is a busy time of year for cruising. It might be a good idea to try the more adult-oriented lines, like HAL, Celebrity or Princess during that time period if you must travel during Spring Break. That said, it will likely be an adjustment for your kids if they are used to the more child-oriented lines, but I have read positive things on CC about their kids clubs. They will probably have plenty of children on board at that time, so hopefully there will be friends to make and fun activities to do.

Will you be getting one stateroom for all of you or connecting staterooms? If you will all be traveling in one stateroom I would urge you to pay very close attention to the square footage. I recently looked at one of the new Celebrity ship plans and was stunned to see how small the balcony cabins are.

The balcony cabins are definitely smaller. 192 sf cabin and 53 sf balcony. We had a mini-suite on the Epic, and Disney's balcony cabins are a nice size, so that will be a stumbling block.

That said, I am leaning towards Celebrity since there will be kids, but maybe not so many kids that it will be nuts!

192 is not terrible - I thought I had seen around 147 on one of their newer ships, which would be tight for 4. But yes, I'd lean towards Celebrity or one of the other more adult-oriented lines for that time of year, in order to avoid a child takeover. And Reflection is really new, which is always nice.

One more thing to add: if you haven't already, you might want to price out the cost of 2 cabins. Often they jack up the price of 3rd and 4th passengers (or simply don't discount much) during Spring Break. It would be awesome to get 2 rooms for the same price as one :)

• 2 weeks later...

Celebrity is your best choice. What I have found is that during the busiest times it is best to choose a cruise line that is not advertised to kids specifically as those like RCI and Carnival get so full of kids that it becomes a hassle. we were on a Thanksgiving cruise on the Epic a few years back and had so many kids that we had to wait in a 15-minute line every night to drop off and pick up.

Celebrity reflection is a great ship, brand new, awesome design and food. There will be kids but not a ton so the counselors will have a lot more time to spend with them. I would no longer do RCI after a disastrous New Year;s cruise this winter with over 700 kids onboard. Yes, Celebrity is not Disney but it offers a great experience for both kids and adults.

I recently started researching westerns for winter 2014 for our family. In doing so I can across the NCL Dawn out of Tampa. The price is certainly right and is currently our front runner. I am almost convinced to splurge for a mini suite and we haven't stayed in anything better than an ocean view before!

I also looked at the Pearl, but like the Dawn itinerary better. Except I wish it stopped at GC. :)

Archived