Scuba Diving

cruzbound

Hi there,

Anyone ever dive in Key West? What are the reefs like? We can't do the wreck because the dive operators do that in the morning and we won't be there. Trying to decide between Key West and another Key called Looe Key. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, cruzbound

Hi there,

Anyone ever dive in Key West? What are the reefs like? We can't do the wreck because the dive operators do that in the morning and we won't be there. Trying to decide between Key West and another Key called Looe Key. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, cruzbound

Greetings

Looe Key is a marine santuary located offshore of the Big Pine/Little Torch area. It is named for the HMS Looe, a British warship which sank there in the 1700s. There is a nice shallow reef there as well as deeper dropoffs. It is a very popular dive spot well known for its marine life. There are many reefs off Key West proper. Dive operators go to different reefs depending upon conditions. The area around Sand Key is popular with many of the operators. The Looe Key dive will probably be a "prettier" dive.

Good Sailing

Tom

Hi there,

Thanks, cruzbound

I highly recommend Looe Key. I live on Summerland Key and Looe Key is my usual dive/snorkel spot. It is only a few miles from my house. It is some of the best/clearest diving in the Keys.

We refer to Looe Key as "the fingers." It is a series of strips where, depending on the tide, is around 6-8' deep on the tops and up to 30' deep between the "fingers."

The areas off Key West...Sand Key, Sambos, Dry Rocks, etc, do not compare to Looe Key.

The Adolphus Busch is just south of Looe Key. You can easily do the Busch and reef in the same day.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your thoughts. Do you have specific dive operator you recommend? I have been looking at InnerSpace. Do you recommend we do the wreck and reef OR just two reef dives?

Thanks, cruzbound

Inner Space is good. Also, take a look at Strike Zone Charters. Stay away from Triple Dive.

I recommend the wreck and reef. The reef isn't that big, so no need to make an entire day out of it.

I highly recommend Looe Key. I live on Summerland Key and Looe Key is my usual dive/snorkel spot. It is only a few miles from my house. It is some of the best/clearest diving in the Keys.

We refer to Looe Key as "the fingers." It is a series of strips where, depending on the tide, is around 6-8' deep on the tops and up to 30' deep between the "fingers."

The areas off Key West...Sand Key, Sambos, Dry Rocks, etc, do not compare to Looe Key.

The Adolphus Busch is just south of Looe Key. You can easily do the Busch and reef in the same day.

Greetings

I used to live on Summerland off Westshore right on Niles channel. Small world.

Good Sailing

Tom

Archived