Puerto vallarta has improvement plans...

WINEMANVISALIA

I've asked that same question before and never gotten an answer. And you and I know why, because the answer is that it has not happened

If you took the time to actually read my comments, I never claimed any passenger was the victim of a crime. But I am responding to conditions and the general level of crime in Mexico, and in specific cities such as Mazatlan and Acapulco, along with the opinion stated my some of the "diehards" about how safe these places are and that the media is over-dramatizing the crime situation. You read into this something you want to defend and for what reason is a mystery to me. Believe what you want, that is your right. No one really cares.

What was the purpose of your post on a cruise information board if it does not pertain to cruisers?

It is well known that the media is trying to scare tourists from going to Mexico and it is working. But ---- The facts are that cruise passengers have NOT suffered any injuries as the result of Mexico's drug wars.

That is the message that we should be passing on to those seeking true information from these boards. THE SKY IS NOT FALLING IN MEXICO.

I think I resemble that remark!:rolleyes:

Hey Swedish Weave, I've asked that same question before and never gotten an answer. And you and I know why, because the answer is that it has not happened.

Still no answer from the "sensationalists" ---- A lot of dancing around the issue and attempts to rationalize --- but they won't answer direct.

If you took the time to actually read my comments, I never claimed any passenger was the victim of a crime. But I am responding to conditions and the general level of crime in Mexico, and in specific cities such as Mazatlan and Acapulco, along with the opinion stated my some of the "diehards" about how safe these places are and that the media is over-dramatizing the crime situation. You read into this something you want to defend and for what reason is a mystery to me. Believe what you want, that is your right. No one really cares.

Listen to whomever you want, it is immaterial to me; but I am entitled to my opinion. However, people should be careful about making absurd blanket statements about how safe Mexico is, especially when compared to the US. I have been travelling there, and to other parts of Latin America for over 30 years. And as I have said several times, everyone should make informed decisions when planning a visit anywhere. Somehow, this is offensive to a small group on this site and about this topic.

But I would challenge anyone to ask an average Mexican citizen if they trust the police and would feel comfortable reporting a crime. Therein lies an enormous difference between crime in the US and Mexico. Sad, but very true.

Richard, Richard, Richard … Your attempts to convince people that foreign tourists visiting Mexico are in danger because Mexican national can’t get justice when they report crime is falling on deaf ears. It’s a classic misdirection that would better qualify you as a politician than an expert on crime in Mexico.

The typical tourist is in greater danger of being a crime victim when traveling to the airport in L.A., Chicago, Detroit or New York than they are in any Mexican port where cruise ships stop.

I don’t believe any of us would argue that the typical Mexican citizen, reporting a crime in their home country, would likely be dissatisfied with the results of making that report. How this indicates foreign tourists, getting off a cruise ship, are in great danger is beyond me.

The cruise industry has a long history of discontinuing port stops when the civil unrest/criminal activity in that specific city would likely expose their passengers to danger. Acapulco does fall into that category; Mazatlan (sections) is viewed by some as still quite safe.

If YOU would read what others post, you would find that they ask about the safety of the ports that their cruise will stop at. We (regular visitors to Mexico) defend the safety of Cabo san Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, and others where cruise ships call and western tourists still visit in great numbers. You, on the other hand, try to convince us that all of Mexico is just like Acapulco, Mexico City, Tijuana, Nogales or Juarez.

And as for the “diehards” … we don’t accuse the media of over-dramatizing the crime situation in tourist destinations because there isn’t any crimes against tourists to report. We accuse the media, and you, of painting all of Mexico with the same alarmist brush. It is a fact that the average person, on the streets of their own home town, is in greater danger of injury due to criminal activity than they are in the major Mexican tourist destinations.

Richard, Richard, Richard … Your attempts to convince people that foreign tourists visiting Mexico are in danger because Mexican national can’t get justice when they report crime is falling on deaf ears. It’s a classic misdirection that would better qualify you as a politician than an expert on crime in Mexico.

The typical tourist is in greater danger of being a crime victim when traveling to the airport in L.A., Chicago, Detroit or New York than they are in any Mexican port where cruise ships stop.

I don’t believe any of us would argue that the typical Mexican citizen, reporting a crime in their home country, would likely be dissatisfied with the results of making that report. How this indicates foreign tourists, getting off a cruise ship, are in great danger is beyond me.

The cruise industry has a long history of discontinuing port stops when the civil unrest/criminal activity in that specific city would likely expose their passengers to danger. Acapulco does fall into that category; Mazatlan (sections) is viewed by some as still quite safe.

If YOU would read what others post, you would find that they ask about the safety of the ports that their cruise will stop at. We (regular visitors to Mexico) defend the safety of Cabo san Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, and others where cruise ships call and western tourists still visit in great numbers. You, on the other hand, try to convince us that all of Mexico is just like Acapulco, Mexico City, Tijuana, Nogales or Juarez.

And as for the “diehards” … we don’t accuse the media of over-dramatizing the crime situation in tourist destinations because there isn’t any crimes against tourists to report. We accuse the media, and you, of painting all of Mexico with the same alarmist brush. It is a fact that the average person, on the streets of their own home town, is in greater danger of injury due to criminal activity than they are in the major Mexican tourist destinations.

You have stated your position very well and I agree with you 100%. My husband and I have been going to Puerto Vallarta for the whole winter (3 months) for about 20 years. We go out all the time and walk around at night and have never had any problems at all. We feel very safe in Puerto Vallarta.

Wendy

+1

I bought a home in San Carlos last year and go there for about 10 days at a time once a month. It's a very safe area, as is the whole state of Sonora. Yes, there are bad areas in Mexico that I no longer will travel to, but then I won't go downtown in Tucson at night, either.

A post like yours is exactly what I would expect from our friends north of the border where reality, awareness and competency sometimes gets a little....fuzzy. Keep working on it, it may improve! LOL :D

Totally uncalled for!:eek::eek::eek:

Paul and Marilyn, so well said. I have a dear friend and we are starting to really look at places we want to retire to as Southern California has it's share of issues. We are seriously considering some areas in Mexico. Of course, we would look at all factors including safety just as we would do if we were looking at other cities within the US.

I have many American and Canadian friends living on the west coast of Mexico in Puerto Vallarta (mainly) but Cabo and other areas......their belief is that the American (and to a lesser extent) Canadian media tend to over dramatize Mexican crime on the west coast.....media like to lump it into one pot.

I would rather listern to them then you :rolleyes::eek:

Looking forward to our next trip down to PV this fall :D

Jody, how are you and Mr QT? When are you leaving for PV? Are you anticipating going again in 2013 or any cruises you are considering in 2013? I still think one day the stars will align and we will be in the same travel destination!:)

Jody, how are you and Mr QT? When are you leaving for PV? Are you anticipating going again in 2013 or any cruises you are considering in 2013? I still think one day the stars will align and we will be in the same travel destination!:)

Doing great :) This new position with work has me travelling all over Western Canada through so not much downtime with the forum.

We are escaping for a quick week down to Dreams PV end of Nov YAR :)

When is your next vacation?

And yes one day those stars witll confirm and we will be drinking Milky Way Martinis together :)

Doing great :) This new position with work has me travelling all over Western Canada through so not much downtime with the forum.

We are escaping for a quick week down to Dreams PV end of Nov YAR :)

When is your next vacation?

And yes one day those stars witll confirm and we will be drinking Milky Way Martinis together :)

Have fun in November! No other vacations this year but next year I may be going to Singapore for a land vacation. My cousin retired and is traveling the world for two years. She and her partner will be in Southeast Asia for about 6 months and I want to join them at one of their locations. So far I'm leaning for Singapore. I did have the Royal Princess transatlantic booked for Oct 2013 but may cancel so I can join my cousin. Still weighing options.:)

Have fun in November! No other vacations this year but next year I may be going to Singapore for a land vacation. My cousin retired and is traveling the world for two years. She and her partner will be in Southeast Asia for about 6 months and I want to join them at one of their locations. So far I'm leaning for Singapore. I did have the Royal Princess transatlantic booked for Oct 2013 but may cancel so I can join my cousin. Still weighing options.:)

Those are nice options to weigh :)

Archived