Sanctuary on Sapphire in Pacific Ocean in March/April?

cvpends

I am looking for opinions about whether the Sanctuary would be nice to use on the Sapphire on a California Coastal itinerary in March/April. From the photos, it looks enclosed, but from other information I've found, it looks like it is not. I'm trying to figure out whether it would be too cold to use or whether it would be nice. If you have used the Sanctuary on the Sapphire (or a similar ship), I welcome your opinions!

Even though there are coverings top and front… They cut down the wind, but there is still a breeze going through..to say nothing of the sides that are open. I'd say it is pretty cool and breezy that time of year.. not worth the price.. will probably be lots of other outdoor space available for free. Try the deck aft of the the Horizon Court..

Thanks, everyone, I was thinking what you confirmed. Does this mean that the decks in general will be too cold to really hang out there, or is the Sanctuary just especially unprotected from the elements due to it's forward location, way up high?

Thanks, everyone, I was thinking what you confirmed. Does this mean that the decks in general will be too cold to really hang out there, or is the Sanctuary just especially unprotected from the elements due to it's forward location, way up high?

It will be generally chilly... March and April can be cool in Los Angeles, never mind heading North! But, you never know, it can also be warm... It all depends on what the weather feels like doing. As for the Sanctuary, ITS position might be somewhat protected from the elements, but the outside temperature would not vary...

I would love to hear back from you after your cruise if it was too cold and windy @ the Sanctuary. We are doing the coastal cruise on April 27th.

Have a great cruise!

I would love to hear back from you after your cruise if it was too cold and windy @ the Sanctuary. We are doing the coastal cruise on April 27th.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks, I will report back...too bad March (and April for you) is so far away!

On the Sapphire Coastal this coming week. Will report back. It's supposed to be in the low 70s heading up to SFO so we'll see what happens...

Katherine

Thanks. Have a great time!!!

I see you are booked on the Solstice for 9/6/13. We are thinking about that one, but DH hates that it ends in Ensenada and I am waiting for the prices to drop. My DD and her fiance are booked on the Alaskan cruise that ends on 9/6 for their honeymoon in a concierge class balcony stateroom :D

Thanks. Have a great time!!!

I see you are booked on the Solstice for 9/6/13. We are thinking about that one, but DH hates that it ends in Ensenada and I am waiting for the prices to drop. My DD and her fiance are booked on the Alaskan cruise that ends on 9/6 for their honeymoon in a concierge class balcony stateroom :D

Yep, we are super excited about that Celebrity cruise! It's a rare opportunity to have the ship on the West Coast so we are going to check her out. Great itiniary. The Ensenada end is no big deal. It's about a 2h bus drive to get back and X takes care of everything...

Yep, we are super excited about that Celebrity cruise! It's a rare opportunity to have the ship on the West Coast so we are going to check her out. Great itiniary. The Ensenada end is no big deal. It's about a 2h bus drive to get back and X takes care of everything...

I agree. I wished we could see more Celebrity cruises over here on the West Coast. It would also be great if they added sanctuaries on their ships! We have done the bus trip back over the border before. It wasn't bad, but I have read horror stories, so you never know:cool:

I also want to cruise on the Splendor again before it leaves California! So many cruises to do and not enough time..

Sorry about the thread hijacking!!

I agree. I wished we could see more Celebrity cruises over here on the West Coast. It would also be great if they added sanctuaries on their ships! We have done the bus trip back over the border before. It wasn't bad, but I have read horror stories, so you never know:cool:

I also want to cruise on the Splendor again before it leaves California! So many cruises to do and not enough time..

Sorry about the thread hijacking!!

I agree with you about Celebrity: I keep checking their schedules and they are almost never here! It's a shame.

If you go on the Splendor, don't miss joining the spa! It is fabulous, with a huge Thalassotherapy pool, two steam rooms, two rooms of heated loungers/chairs, a beautiful relaxation room, etc.

So, as an alternative to the Sanctuary, what about the thermal suite on the Sapphire? I have heard mixed things about it, and have never found any photos. Do any of you have experience with the Sapphire's thermal suite, and would you be willing to share photos?

Too windy for me...:)

Just got back from our CA Coastal trip (RT LA) and it was FABULOUS! We had perfect weather, THE calmest seas and even got to see the Blue Angels fly in the SF Bay. Totally awesome.

After having spent the week on the ship, I have to say the sanctuary is TOTALLY useless on this cruise. It is waaaay too cold to hang out in there unless the ship is in port, in which case the main pool and the aft pool area is pretty much deserted anyway as most people are off doing excursions, so there is no reason to pay extra for a quiet spot. The whole ship is quiet.

FYI there were basically NO kids on this cruise. I think I saw 2 the whole time, and I was looking out for them! So if you are thinking of using the Sanctuary to get away from the hustle and bustle, it's really not necessary. Now MUTS did play during the day (usually concert around 10am and 1pm and movie around 3pm) so if that bugs you (the movie really annoyed me each day), you can go to the aft pool and have silence and be out of the wind. But there is not much shade there (not that it's needed on the Coast of CA).

I saw the thermal "suite" during the tour and wish I had thought to take a picture. It's a very small space with 4 warm stone "beds" to lay on in a warm room. 2 steam rooms are in the same area so people are walking in and out the whole time, making it not so much of a "sanctuary." I was completely unimpressed, especially since the 4 beds are pretty darn close together, and unless you know the person next to you, it's a bit too cozy for my taste. I don't know anyone who got the pass to use it but the steam rooms are free so I think that's a good alternative.

I would recommend doing the spa tour though. It really helps you visualize the space (and realize that it's a bit too hyped up for what it is, perhaps). Going on the Splendor next month and I am really looking forward to seeing the spa area on that ship, which I heard is absolutely fabulous. However, I am definitely holding out judgment till I get on board....

Just got back from our CA Coastal trip (RT LA) and it was FABULOUS! We had perfect weather, THE calmest seas and even got to see the Blue Angels fly in the SF Bay. Totally awesome.

After having spent the week on the ship, I have to say the sanctuary is TOTALLY useless on this cruise. It is waaaay too cold to hang out in there unless the ship is in port, in which case the main pool and the aft pool area is pretty much deserted anyway as most people are off doing excursions, so there is no reason to pay extra for a quiet spot. The whole ship is quiet.

FYI there were basically NO kids on this cruise. I think I saw 2 the whole time, and I was looking out for them! So if you are thinking of using the Sanctuary to get away from the hustle and bustle, it's really not necessary. Now MUTS did play during the day (usually concert around 10am and 1pm and movie around 3pm) so if that bugs you (the movie really annoyed me each day), you can go to the aft pool and have silence and be out of the wind. But there is not much shade there (not that it's needed on the Coast of CA).

I saw the thermal "suite" during the tour and wish I had thought to take a picture. It's a very small space with 4 warm stone "beds" to lay on in a warm room. 2 steam rooms are in the same area so people are walking in and out the whole time, making it not so much of a "sanctuary." I was completely unimpressed, especially since the 4 beds are pretty darn close together, and unless you know the person next to you, it's a bit too cozy for my taste. I don't know anyone who got the pass to use it but the steam rooms are free so I think that's a good alternative.

I would recommend doing the spa tour though. It really helps you visualize the space (and realize that it's a bit too hyped up for what it is, perhaps). Going on the Splendor next month and I am really looking forward to seeing the spa area on that ship, which I heard is absolutely fabulous. However, I am definitely holding out judgment till I get on board....

Thank you so much for this feedback; it is very helpful! I think you will enjoy the spa on the Splendor :) -- I've been on her twice and LOVED it both times! The rooms have beautiful views and are quite large and never crowded.

Thanks for posting all this info. I hope you had a great cruise!

Doing this cruise next spring - could you please tell me what the set (early/late) dining times were and evening show times? thanks.

The actual dining times were 5:30 and 7:45. Shows were 6:30, 8:15 and 10:15 most of the time (3 shows now, about 40-45 min each). Of note, on the Princess website, when we selected the dining time (late dining), it said 8:15. However, when we checked in, we noticed on our room card that the dining time is actually 7:45. No big deal but just so you know...

Katherine

Archived