Cave tubing hiking

adamsm1

I am a 63 year old woman and though not an invalid, I don't exercise as much as I should. I have made reservations for the cave tubing, but have been reading posts about the hike to the river and carrying the tubes to be very strenuous. Any suggestions if this is too much would be greatly appreciated.

I am out of shape and overweight, I made it. I will tell you there were a couple of times on the hike I wanted to just chuck it and head back to the bus. I thought the hike would never end and the burn of lactic acid building up in my muscles just about did me in. But in the end it was worth it, great experience.

We went with .bz and had a wonderful time. We had a 3 year old with us and although she doesn't have any problems walking, she is young and did all the walking by herself.

We had people of all ages in our group. They will wait on you and go at YOUR pace. The guides there will even carry your tubes for you if you need them to. We had a couple that were probably in their 70's and they went slow (just like us) and there were no problems. :) Most of it is flat ground with the exception of going through the cave area where there are steps.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that it is more of a stroll. There are no steep changes in elevation and the guides seem to walk at a leisurely pace. This is a very nice excursion - don't miss it. I highly recommend cavetubing.bz. I've done lots of research - they have the best equipment and comply with all safety standards. We saw some other popular companies with junky tubes.

Physically i'm sure you can do it but your might be in a bad mood by the time you get to the actual tubing. Hopefully the tubing will get you back into a good mood. Lot's of friends and family will turn on each other, then make up afterwards haha.

Physically i'm sure you can do it but your might be in a bad mood by the time you get to the actual tubing. Hopefully the tubing will get you back into a good mood. Lot's of friends and family will turn on each other, then make up afterwards haha.

I'm not sure why you would say that you would be in a bad mood by the time you actually get to tube? The walk there (at least with .bz) was amazing. They went slowly and it was very informational. They stopped everywhere along the way to show us different things like certain trees that you could actually eat to become hydrated if you were out in the rain forest. They explained what different things were used for. They had trees that were used to make the ink in money. Things that you could survive off of for days if you were stranded out there. They stopped and let everyone "try" the termites, which are a rich nutritional substance (not like the termites you have here) and were actually pretty good (they tasted like mints). We stopped and held a tarantula. So many neat and interesting things to the island. We definitely didn't get bored and absolutely not in a bad mood by the time we got there. The walk was just as nice as the tubing. :)

Archived