Buying Flowers while in Port

snoozycruisee

Has anyone ever purchased Flowers while visiting a port and then brought them on-board for in your cabin ?

I've seen threads where it's been done at the Departure Port, but cannot find anything relating to a subsequent Port stop / visit.... I do know that flowers can never be taken (off) the Ship by a passenger after a Cruise has been completed.

Thanks for any information and/or real life flower tales you can share ;)

In most ports you are not allowed to bring produce or flowers on board this is to prevent unknown insects and disease from contaminating the ship and eventually getting to the home port. The biggest way invasive species invade the United States is though smuggled produce and uninspected plants. If you want flowers in your room I would suggest that you order them and let the ship supply them.

Sorry, no agricultural products of any kind are allowed back on the ship. I've even heard of people having their handmade (still green) palm leaf hats confiscated, although I brought one on board my very first cruise because I didn't know any better and no one took it away from me. But flowers...not going to happen. They are really worried about pests or diseases being transferred from one country to another.

Actually, they will allow them ON the ship, but you can't take them off again....they will be thrown out.

Most countries have very STRICT rules about vegetation being brought into a country...and flowers are vegatation.

Has anyone ever purchased Flowers while visiting a port and then brought them on-board for in your cabin ?

I've seen threads where it's been done at the Departure Port, but cannot find anything relating to a subsequent Port stop / visit.... I do know that flowers can never be taken (off) the Ship by a passenger after a Cruise has been completed.

Thanks for any information and/or real life flower tales you can share ;)

The only time we've been allowed to bring flowers on board was while we were in Alaska (Alaska itinerary) but not from foreign ports.

Last year on a RCCL trans Atlantic we stopped in the Azores and brought flowers back on board without a problem. :)

This year we are on the Epic leaving from Barcelona on Oct 21st. I am hoping to bring flowers on in Barcelona. Flowers bought from the ship are soooo expensive! I will let you know if we have any problems!

Jackie

You are allowed when in Hawaii on the Pride of America. In fact, I remember buying flowers right at the port in Kona. We also bought fresh leis in Kona and brought them on board with no issues.

That makes sense....the ship is only sailing to US ports.

I have done it successfully several times. so far, nobody has batted an eye. I always figure there is a chance the flowers will be confiscated, so I do not spend more than I am willing to risk.

I have never tried to carry flowers off the ship. I suspect that would violate ag rules almost everywhere

I have always brought flowers on when sailing from Barcelona.. it was my embarkation port, though, not a port-of-call. They sell the most beautiful, fragrant flowers on Las Ramblas, and each time I presented them upon check-in and was never given any issue.

Robin

Archived