Salmon Bake Question

wickedawesomemom

My son is wanting to do a Salmon Bake in Alaska. We were thinking about Gold Creek or Thane Ore in Juneau. I've been researching this like crazy and most people have said that it is a waste of time because of all the opportunities to eat salmon. Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand, one is just a restaurant and the other is more of a picnic setting. My question is this: Are these places just really a place to eat salmon or are they an "experience"? I think we'd rather pass if it isn't a unique experience.

Can someone please clarify what they are like?

Gold Creek is in the hills above Juneau... outdoor setting but covered area so rain doesn't dampen you too much! Salmon and ribs, picnic style with all the fixings.. very scenic setting. You can book on ship or from locals. They pick you up near/at ship and bring you back. Thane Or is out along Gastineau Channel, inside, buffet style, some entertainment etc. If you are going whale watching with Capt Larry they can arrange the Thane Or for you. IMHO the salmon at these is delicous but then I love salmon and eat it often.. the setting is what "make" this IMHO only.

from my trip journal...

============================================

Instead of dinner on the ship that evening, we opted for salmon at the Gold Creek Salmon Bake. The bus picked us up around 5:30 PM and took us over to Gold Creek. The brochure we saw went something like:

Surrounded by great mountains. Seranaded by a nearby waterfall and folk musicians. Tempted by the smell of fresh Alaska salmon basting over an alder wood fire. The bounty of the GreatLand is at your table.

The salmon was plentiful, and this was Alaskan King Salmon. No Atlantic farm raised salmon served here! :-) Spoke with the guy doing the grilling. He told us his ‘secret’ was to cover the fish in cottonseed oil before putting them on the fire. Besides that, the only other ‘stuff’ he put on it was his special ‘sweet sauce’. And that was only if you wanted it brushed on after he took it off the grill. It was very good.

It was a very pleasant evening. After dinner and marshmallows over a campfire, we walked to a nearby, old gold mine. It was boarded up, but still intriguing. As we made our way back to the bus, we came upon a display of pictures of days during the gold rush.

=========================================

==========================================

It was very good salmon - the part about it being Alaskan king salmon was because

the cruise ship served Atlantic farm raised salmon. It all depends how you look

at it. If you think the experience has value - go with it. Otherwise you

are paying alot of $$$ to eat salmon in the woods :) .

I'm glad we did it - probably wouldn't do it again though.

Good luck!

We are on Princess Regal and are doing Mendenhall Glacier and Salmon Bake. Actually for the price it within reason I think considering transportation etc. My sister did this last year and enjoyed it. Hopefully we will too.

Len3-The salmon bake in Liarsville is EXCELLENT! The salmon is cooked right outside on grills near picnic tables. You are also given rolls, drinks, other sides (I think baked beans were there). The setting is neat with a recreation camp for viewing and a nice gift shop. Then, you go to a show that is fun. The performers are dressed like those from the Gold Rush period and do songs, dances, musical numbers, etc. Then you get to pan for gold! What is hillarious is that the gold is not from there, but imported from Canada. It was $50 per person last year and worth every penny for the experience!

Is there a website for this Liarsville Salmon Bake?

My husband really wants to do a salmon bake and he is dying to go to Liarsville so we could do it both!

No web site listed.

Liarsville Gold Rush Trail Camp of 1898

Show and gold panning

3 Mile Klondike Highway/Liarsville

P.O. Box 971

Skagway, AK 99840

(phone) 907-983-3000

(fax) 907-983-2415

Contact us via E-mail

redonion@aptalaska.net

Seasonal

• 2 weeks later...

WAM and I are both on the same cruise. We are also wanting to do a great salmon bake in Juneau. So what is the bottom line for the bake in Alaska? I was set on Thane Ore but it is buffet and inside...Dad not as keen on that buffet stuff. But do bugs eat us alive at the other spot in the woods?

Which is the better? Help!

Thanks everyone - Chatty Kathy

OK, I just have to jump in and say, the Thane Ore in Juneau was fantastic! I asked Pam who shuttled us back into town from Capt Larry's whale watching about Thane Ore. She said it was great and when we got back to town the great folks at Orca called for us and the folks at Thane Ore came into town to pick us up. It cost $24.95 pp, and included a full salad bar plus fantastic salmon and beer battered halibut. Talk about wonderful! After eating we went outdoors and had such a nice time! The two near-by eagles sure gave us some great photo opps too!

It's easy to get out there, even w/o going thru Capt. Larry. Simply go to the visiters center at the base of the tramway, right next to the ships. They will call for the shuttle to pick you up and return you to town.

You're right, BudgetQueen, a salmon bake is a much better option than eating on the ship! Actually we had our lunch time meal there, but it's a BIG lunch, that's for sure!

One more thing...Has anyone mentioned how fantastic salmon is in Alaska???? The only bad thing...I will be afraid to order it now locally. It just won't be the same!

One more thing...Has anyone mentioned how fantastic salmon is in Alaska???? The only bad thing...I will be afraid to order it now locally. It just won't be the same!

I must confess, I NEVER eat salmon or halibut, ever, outside of Alaska or from the fishing catches flown home. Just way below my standards now. :)

My 2++ weeks last year interior had salmon or halibut eaten just about every day by me. :) No wonder I have to keep going back.

Just came off the NCL Dream 5/19 cruise, we did the Liarsville Salmon Bake and it was very good so was the show.

But if you want to do gold panning this is not the place, we did the goldpanning in Juneau and my grandson (14) and I had a great time, also brought back a few gold specks.

I booked both of these through the ships excursions.

Hope this helps

I must confess, I NEVER eat salmon or halibut, ever, outside of Alaska or from the fishing catches flown home. Just way below my standards now. :)

My 2++ weeks last year interior had salmon or halibut eaten just about every day by me. :) No wonder I have to keep going back.

So so true! The best salmon I had was in Girdwood at Chair 5. It was lightly dusted with curry (I don't even like curry, and I thought they were taking it off) with a delicious sauce. Just thinking of it makes my mouth water! I too had salmon or halibut every day when we were in the interior!

Sharon

We just got back from Alaska and we did both the salmon bakes..The one in Juneau and the Lairsville one..Both were nice and the food was good, but my favorite was in Lairsville....the setting seemed to be better located..the one if Juneau was right beside a little stream and there seemed to be quite a bit of mosquitoes and other bugs flying around everywhere. I also thought the salmon in Lairsville was better tasting....and we enjoyed the show they put on and the recreated tents and little town setting..we also enjoyed the pretend gold panning..You will have a good time in either place..Enjoy!

We just got back from Alaska and we did both the salmon bakes..The one in Juneau and the Lairsville one..Both were nice and the food was good, but my favorite was in Lairsville....the setting seemed to be better located..the one if Juneau was right beside a little stream and there seemed to be quite a bit of mosquitoes and other bugs flying around everywhere. I also thought the salmon in Lairsville was better tasting....and we enjoyed the show they put on and the recreated tents and little town setting..we also enjoyed the pretend gold panning..You will have a good time in either place..Enjoy!

I believe you may not be referring to the Thane Ore House Salmon bake as it's not by a river. It's actually right on the banks of the main channel going into Juneau. The Lairsville one does sound great though!

Sharon

Just got back tues. We did the Salmon hatchery, mendenhall glacier, and salmon bake which was really great. THe mendenhall is awesome. The salmon bake was reallygood, picnic tables, near a creek, salad bar, baked beans, bbq ribs and chicken (great). Salmon reall good according to my son-in-law. Cake for desert. Beer and soda for sale. We did just make it back to the ship. The last bus was late getting to us and we had to come back with a different bus who kindly took us. I believe it was 50something. Good value. Great enjoyment. If going to Victoria, try the pub tour. Fantastic. beer and snacks (pot. skins, ckn strips, etc) pub 1, beer pub 2, beer and snacks (poppers, cheese, crackers, seafood spread, meatballs etc.) 3rd pub. Great bus trip, informative driver, lots of fun, 3 different locations in 3 different parts of Victoria. Not to be missed.

I ate salmon at every opportunity for two weeks in Seattle and Alaska. It was all good, but the salmon at the Taku Lodge with a perfect view of Hole-in-the-Wall Glacier, the flight to and from, and the bear were the highlight of this year's cruise.

We're doing a land tour before the cruise and found a salmon bake in Fairbanks in Pioneer Park. We do not get meals included before we board the ship so this seemed like a good opportunity to try a salmon bake. Has anyone heard about this place or tried it? The website is www.akvisit.com There is also a theater with live show, so this sounds similar to the salmon bake in Juneau.

Archived