Walking distance from ship

techgirl502

Places to visit would be the National Museum, Independence Square - a former slave market, St. George's Anglican Church, The Catholic Cathedral, Clock Tower/Berkeley Memorial on the Circus and Government Headquarters all within easy walking distance of each other. There is the Circus Grill and Ballahoo restaurants overlooking the Circus. There is a vendor selling fresh coconuts in the Circus area - worth a try.

Palms Court Gardens is about a 10 - 15 minute walk from Port Zante. Turn left out of Port Zante and walk along the Bay Road, past the War Memorial and it's signed and just on your left. USD 10 for all day with use of the pool.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, Can someone tell me what is in walking distance from the ship at St. Kitts?

Thank you

If you are into sea glass, there is a dirty black sand beach off to the left of the peir, tons of sea glass. Its not a beach you would swim at, there is a sidewalk you can walk along, the road there is very busy, but not dangerous.

I would say this is the only town I have ever felt unsafe in walking around. Not along the beach or right near the peir, but farther away a few blocks. Just don't go alone. My husband says I am crazy and he didn't feel unsafe, women and men have a different sense of some of that. Nothing has ever happened, but that feeling. I do love St Kitts!

If you are into sea glass, there is a dirty black sand beach off to the left of the peir, tons of sea glass. Its not a beach you would swim at, there is a sidewalk you can walk along, the road there is very busy, but not dangerous.

I would say this is the only town I have ever felt unsafe in walking around. Not along the beach or right near the peir, but farther away a few blocks. Just don't go alone. My husband says I am crazy and he didn't feel unsafe, women and men have a different sense of some of that. Nothing has ever happened, but that feeling. I do love St Kitts!

Thanks for the safety tip

Hi there!

I would agree with Seashinesunshine in that I did not feel very safe in Basseterre. We actually hired a cab which took us around the city and then to some outlying points outside of Basseterre. The ride was about 2-2.5 hours and were saw what we wanted to see in Basseterre as well as the mountaintop point where you can view both the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea....we also had a stop at a beach. I would think either a ship tour or hiring a cab might be the easiest and safest way for you to see some of the sights. The actual shopping area right off the ship contains your typical souvenir and chain jewlery stores. There is a msall open air market with locals selling their crafts past the souvenir shops but nothing over special. There is an open air bar in this immediate area which we enjoyed sitting at very much enjoying cold drinks!

Enjoy!!

Soleil

Places to visit would be the National Museum, Independence Square - a former slave market, St. George's Anglican Church, The Catholic Cathedral, Clock Tower/Berkeley Memorial on the Circus and Government Headquarters all within easy walking distance of each other. There is the Circus Grill and Ballahoo restaurants overlooking the Circus. There is a vendor selling fresh coconuts in the Circus area - worth a try.

Palms Court Gardens is about a 10 - 15 minute walk from Port Zante. Turn left out of Port Zante and walk along the Bay Road, past the War Memorial and it's signed and just on your left. USD 10 for all day with use of the pool.

And, as always in the Caribbean, lots of jewelry shops.

• 1 month later...

Archived