Pinnicle Grill- Do men need to wear jackets?

showdog

A gentleman should dress according to the dress code of the evening, which would mean a jacket w/ or w/out tie on informal nights and a jacket w/ tie on formal nights.

Regardless of what is required, my DH would never go to the Pinnacle w/out a jacket on casual nights. It is a 'fine dining' restaurant and a jacket is appropriate the same as it would be at home.

Enjoy your meal(s) there. :)

Thank you for the quick reply. We're packing right now for our trip and that is what I was trying to tell my husband. I thought that it would be more appropriate to wear a jacket and not just a nice polo.

thank you!!

We just got off the Zuiderdam yesterday.

We dined in the Pinnacle on the first evening, and the dress for the day was casual. The three men in our party wore polo shirts. Most of the men I saw in the Pinnacle were dressed similarly.

I noticed fewer tuxes than ever on formal night, and I saw many people wearing shorts in the evening regardless of the dress code.

This was my third HAL cruise, and I have observed a definite relaxation of the dress code. Maybe it was just this one particular cruise, but I noticed that a lot of people were not dressed up for dinner or in the evening at various events.

My DH always wears a jacket (at the least) when we dine in Pinnacle. If it is a formal night, he wears his tuxedo or dinner jacket.

If it is an Informal Night, he wears a jacket and a tie.

If it is a Casual Night, he wears a jacket sometimes with a tie/sometimes no tie.

It is a lovely restaurant and we would feel uncomfortable dining there if dressed very casually.

Wear whatever makes you comfortable that is at the least consistent with the evening dress in the main dining room. If it is casual night, and you are comfortable in a nice polo shirt and slacks, do it. If you are more comfortable with a jacket, do it.

We were surprised to see a man in jeans and T-shirt in the Pinnacle when on Amsterdam.

Gary

My DH always wears a sports coat, sometimes with a tie sometimes without when dining in the Pinnacle. We have observed some men wearing polo shirts on casual nights. For us, a jacket is more appropriate at all times. A very special dining experience.

last night onboard is a casual night - correct? that's my understanding when our group has booked the pinnacle (i'm following, not leading this one), and since we'll likely eat after the bags are packed for pickup outside our staterooms i'm completely disinclined to wear a jacket (just something else to mess-with the following day). and, from the read of things from recent cruisers, it seems the dress codes are relaxing more with each passing cruise.

However ...

If HAL has a dress code and doesn't enforce it, then is there really a dress code?

I sat outside the Vista dining room waiting for my daughters and I watched the people going into the dining room on formal night.

I saw everything from business casual to black tie. I saw several men in short-sleeve dress shirts, no jackets, no ties.

Throughout the week I saw many people in the evening wearing shorts or in jeans.

Maybe it was just this particular cruise. Both my daughters remarked on the less-than-formal attire, as I had insisted they take dressy clothes for evening dining, etc. I kept hearing them say, "Mom, you said everyone dresses up on the ship!"

I'd be interested in hearing the observations of others who were on the 5/14 Zuiderdam sailing.

If HAL has a dress code and doesn't enforce it, then is there really a dress code?

You have daughters, right? Growing up there were rules, weren't there? Did the rule only apply if you caught them breaking it?

The dress code exists as a "gentlemen's agreement" between the line and it's passengers. THere are no "dress code police" because it's not considered necessary to have them. People are expected to observe the civil conduct we've all agreed to by accepting the contract of passage.

Civilization isn't about enforcing rules, it's about accepting modes of conduct as applying to all of us.

last night onboard is a casual night - correct? that's my understanding when our group has booked the pinnacle (i'm following, not leading this one), and since we'll likely eat after the bags are packed for pickup outside our staterooms i'm completely disinclined to wear a jacket (just something else to mess-with the following day). and, from the read of things from recent cruisers, it seems the dress codes are relaxing more with each passing cruise.

If you wished to wear your jacket the last evening, you could easily put it into your suitcase before putting it out in the hallway for pickup. Bags don't have to be out until very late so you could even return to your cabin after dinner to put it in the luggage.....if you wished to do that.

Enjoy your Pinnacle dinner.

Archived