Any alternatives to wine?

KentuckyKat

Thanks - passion fruit wine - that sounds like a good idea too!! I have had a good apple wine from TN before. Problem is we board on Monday - sitting in the car on interstate 95 now - so no time for tasting! But the good news is that DH and I have such opposite tastes that everything will probably suit one of us. Going shopping tomorrow - thanks again!

That chocolate wine looks so yummy!!! We have to rely on what is available at duty free (if we buy it there.. it doesn't have to go in checked luggage - which means less weight). Hoping they have something good.. I like a good red wine with dinner.. but wine coolers are refreshing.

This thread has left me a bit nauseous! Wine? Sweet? NOOOOO!!!!!!!

Wine should be dry dry dry dry dry!!!!!

Just my personal (but absolutely correct) opinion. :p

But just to humor the OP, Florida does not grow the traditional grapes varietals - it's just too hot and they can't handle it. But Muscadines do grow well down here, and there are a couple wineries that make wine from it. Lakeridge and San Sabastion are two of the bigger wineries, and make a decent wine, although most of it is sweet. The muscadine does have a different flavor, and it is noticeable in the wine. Not necessarily bad, but different.

The San Sabastion winery is in St. Augustine which just south of Jacksonville and about an hour from my house. I don't like to go often because the wines are too sweet, but they do have a very nice rooftop bar....

OP doesn't say which port she is leaving from, but if she wants to try something different, she may want to pick up a bottle or two. And lots of grocery stores do sell it.

It has also gotten much easier now to have wine shipped, and I would highly suggest a tasting party before your cruise. I would hate to drag something on board, only to open it and hate it.

I rather like the Arbor Mist wines. They are real wines with fruit flavor added. They are not too sweet, but I think they are sweet enough and very refreshing in the summer.

Another vote for Arbor Mist. My favorite is the Exotic Fruit Zinfandel. It's yummy and not expensive at all. Depending on where you live and shop, you should be able to get the 750ml bottle for about $5. CVS Drugstore had it on sale recently 3 for $10!

I love the original, but I suggest drinking it REALLY cold or else it has a strong red wine aftertaste.[/Quote]

100% agree. We bring Choco with us as we are not wine drinkers and we found drinking it really cold or over ice makes it taste so much better.

I gathered the OP does not really "like" wine per se...

the choco wines (on ice yes)....and the "fruit" wines from Florida

are more like dessert than a "wine" with dinner

the wine from San Sebastion is more like...regular wine, red/white

that you pair with dinner

The choco and fruit wines would be more like having a baileys or a fruity cocktail IMHO....perfect for a NON wine drinker

Sangria?? It depends on the brand...some are tasty but pretty overbearing

I would have the Sangria over ice, cut up some apples, orange pieces in it

Plain Sangria is pretty "strong" tasting IMHO

Maybe this should be "wine for non wine drinkers" LOL

You are allowed to carry on a bottle per person, just try to find something you like. You don't have to drink it at dinner, you could have it like a cocktail

If you are sailing from Florida, Publix has a suprisingly good selection of these sorts of wines, and Total Wines is fantastic.

The drug stores?? Not so much

HTH

Sauternes are sweet. Ask at your local wine shop. Riesling can also be very sweet. A good wine shop can help and may have a tasting bar so you can try them.

I vote for the Riesling too. I have tried all kinds of wine and haven't liked any until I tried a Riesling. It is sweet and very smooth and good.

Boarding tomorrow - I bought the whipped cream chocowine and a madria sangria (which autocorrect just changed to "marriage sanctuary" four times LOL!!) ;) Thanks for the advice. I will try some of the moscato listed above when I get home - didn't have much selection where we were today.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

If you like sweet them my recommendations would be Barefoot Pink Moscato. It is the sweetest moscato I have tried so far. It is very inexpensive. It is also one of the most popular brands at the moment.

If you like bubbly then my favorite is Verdi. It has no bitter aftertaste that I find with many others. It also has apple, peach, and raspberry so you can try all of them and see which is your favorite. :)

Archived