Any alternatives to wine?

KentuckyKat

DH and I plan to bring the allowed 2 bottles of wine on board. He likes most dry wines but he says I like my wine akin to grape juice with extra sugar added! Instead of wine, can I bring a bottle of sangria or something else sweeter than your average wine (obviously we don't drink much as I can't even think of what that would be). If not, what sweet (and inexpensive) wine should I look for? Thanks!

DH and I plan to bring the allowed 2 bottles of wine on board. He likes most dry wines but he says I like my wine akin to grape juice with extra sugar added! Instead of wine, can I bring a bottle of sangria or something else sweeter than your average wine (obviously we don't drink much as I can't even think of what that would be). If not, what sweet (and inexpensive) wine should I look for? Thanks!

Sauternes are sweet. Ask at your local wine shop. Riesling can also be very sweet. A good wine shop can help and may have a tasting bar so you can try them.

The key is "unopened" (they do check)

There are various "Sangria" bottled wines...you could even add some fruit

from the buffet or room service

Another idea might be "choco-wine"...comes in original, rasberry, expresso and "whipped cream"....really good..it is dutch chocolate and red wine

The rasberry is very tasty. It has something of a "Baileys" Irish cream taste

and people who don't "like" wine really like it. I like it as a dessert wine

Maybe Chocowine would work for you? They sell it everywhere here...even in Publix

http://chocovine.com/

chocovine.jpg

Moscato is a good sweet wine, and Asti Spumante is a good sweet sparkling wine. Now there is even a Moscato d'Asti, which is supposedly even sweeter. All are inexpensive.

I would suggest the sangria, plus you could pour it over ice. the moscatos and chocovines are only good if they are really cold/cool. If you dont have a fridge in your room this can make or break your choice in wine.

And don't grab any of the chocolate wines, either....grab them all. From what I hear from friends, some like one, others like the other. One is not better than the others to everyone, like anything else, try it first.

Putting it over ice is a good point/idea. Thanks for the suggestions.

Now, anyone want to suggest a sangria? I have never bought a bottled sangria before - the fruitier the better I guess!

My real favorite cruise drink is the morning multiple-fruit juice with Malibu rum. Just not sure I have the energy to worry about smuggling on little rum bottles and I know I would not drink enough to make it worth buying from Bon voyage.

Thanks again!

Another idea might be "choco-wine"...comes in original, rasberry, expresso and "whipped cream"....really good..it is dutch chocolate and red wine

Maybe Chocowine would work for you? They sell it everywhere here...even in Publix

chocovine.jpg

Shut the front door! :eek:

I don't drink much at all but that stuff looks

GOOD! The Whipped Cream flavour sounds

absolutely decadent. Thanks for sharing!

Shut the front door! :eek:

I don't drink much at all but that stuff looks

GOOD! The Whipped Cream flavour sounds

absolutely decadent. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I have to hide that picture from DW or she'll spend the entire household budget on that stuff:eek:.

There is always my grandmothers favorite: Manischewitz wine. It is kind of like alcoholic grape juice. I personally don't care for it, but she loved it.

That stuff never goes bad. Seriously, it's the way it's made.

We did the Cruising the vineyards deluxe wine package, they have a Riesling that was so sweet and delicous we had it most every night!!!

It was Schmitt Sohne Riesling Spatlese, I love Prosecco at home and got the package for the Prosecco, but I hated the Zonin Prosecco and loved that Riesling!!!

Carole

And don't grab any of the chocolate wines, either....grab them all. From what I hear from friends, some like one, others like the other. One is not better than the others to everyone, like anything else, try it first.

Sounds like a good time for a pre-cruise tasting party. Get small sample size bottles and check them out. Then you'll know what to bring!

Im wondering if maybe the skinny girl cocktails would work as they are just a wine beverage, but in the larger 750ml bottle. http://www.skinnygirlcocktails.com

ok just checked and some have tequila and rum in it so it might be a no no even though it is in a wine bottle and the strength of wine.

Skinnygirl has a Sangria now. That's what I plan on taking.

We did the Cruising the vineyards deluxe wine package, they have a Riesling that was so sweet and delicous we had it most every night!!!

It was Schmitt Sohne Riesling Spatlese, I love Prosecco at home and got the package for the Prosecco, but I hated the Zonin Prosecco and loved that Riesling!!!

Carole

That Riesling is my favorite. Goes well with a cheese assortment and fruit.

I love the Martini & Rossi Asti Spumonte, a delicious sparkling wine that is an even better buy in Florida. I bought 2 bottles at Tampa WalMart for half of what it cost here in Podunk.

podunk, lol

that's my fav also...but that chocolate stuff looks good too! I've also read somewhere about making wine spritzers with sprite or ginger ale...has anyone tried that?

The key is "unopened" (they do check)

There are various "Sangria" bottled wines...you could even add some fruit

from the buffet or room service

chocovine.jpg

I love the original, but I suggest drinking it REALLY cold or else it has a strong red wine aftertaste.

Carole

Schmitt-Sonne is my fave Riesling. Someone mentioned Moscato di Asti, the kind in the blue bottle is fabulous!

Well if you like sweet try Stella Rosa wines

http://stellarosawines.com

I personally do not like my wine this sweet but a friend suggested this so I bought a bottle and it is sweet!! - I think they are a dessert wine. You can find it at BevMo or Costco for sure!

My sister went wine tasting with me and she made a sour face every time she tasted a wine, but when I gave her a glass of this - she loved it!!

Enjoy!!

Just to confuse further....but I had another "idea">>> we have some small "vineyards" here in Florida....that produce "Florida fruit" wines

Schenbly wines from Homestead are now sold in wine stores and even some in Publix

A friend of mine brought a bottle of "Key Lime" wine to a party and it was quite a hit

I just checked Total Wines and they carry some (sweet) Florida fruit wines

if you are sailing from here,these might be fun to try

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/categories/wine/florida%7Cfruit-wine-wine-beverages!viewPerPage/96

Schnebly's Winery - they make lychee, mango, passion fruit wines

http://schneblywinery.com/

Total Wine and Publix now carries some of Schnebly fruit wines

It is a really neat place to visit, do a wine tasting

Naples one makes "Florida Sunshine Tree" wines....

I had some grapefruit wine there and some ? sweet berry wine

they have all kinds

I went to another one in Key West

these wines tend to be sweet, they are NOT grape wines

some are more like dessert wines <grin>

Archived