New Menus & Vegetarian

Just returned from Oasis. Though the new menus in MDR are pretty good, I agree that the vegetarian options are definitely subpar (too starchy, not enough protein). Our teen daughter is a vegetarian, and we spoke with the Head Waiter for our section in the My Time Dining room the first night onboard. Asked him whether they still had the Indian vegetarian curries and other options available. He said that they removed them from the menus because not enough people had been ordering them, but that he could ask the Chef to prepare them for us if we wanted. We let him know which nights we were planning to eat in the MDR (as opposed to specialty restaurants), and, indeed, they brought Indian plates for our daughter every night! A nice variety and very yummy -- vegetables, rice, roti and papdum. In fact, I also decided that I wanted those, so they were happy to bring me a plate as well. They even prepared nonveg curries, such as lamb, for my husband and son to enjoy (in addition to the regular entrees they ordered). Whenever there were popular regular vegetarian options available, eg, the moussaka, crepes, spinach dip, they always just automatically brought those for our table. Very thoughtful, we thought. Still, RC should consider improving the vegetarian options to make them more nutritionally sound and tasty.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! I didn't know that they were no longer on the menu so I would not have known that I could order them special. I hope my experience on Rhapsody is as good as your daughter's was on Oasis. :)

... They do not have an Indian Vege option as in the previous menu. However, the Windjammer had an Indian vege curry every day (for breakfast and lunch), and it tasted great with rice. They had curried rice once too.OUr entire vegetarian family enjoyed that and had no problems with finding seats at Windjammer.

We did talk to the Head Waiter in the MDR and he was able to get the chef to make some Indian Vege dishes for a few days in the week. Those dishes were okay, not as good as the Windjammer, but we were very grateful for them. The vege options on the new menu didn't taste that great and my 11 year old daughter struggled for the kids menu (vege option). At least the new menu has pasta with marinara sauce every night!

WE just got home from Freedom 3+ weeks ago. Our waiter asked on the first night if there were food concerns. I remarked about missing the old menu and the Indian dishes. The head waiter was of Indian descent. She made sure we had a delicious Indian dish every evening. To be honest, I don't eat meat, chicken or shellfish but I do eat fish. So most evenings I had two entrees. It pays to ask!

Archived