daliflor

P1840559-Copy_zpsa93ddc9c.jpg

"There's a moon over Bourbon Street tonight

I see faces as they pass beneath the pale lamplight

I've no choice but to follow that call

The bright lights, the people, and the moon and all."

P1840556-Copy_zps0773babf.jpg

"She walks everyday through the streets of New Orleans

She's innocent and young from a family of means.

I have stood many times outside her window at night

To struggle with my instinct in the pale moon light!"

P1840565-Copy_zpsf1cf51ca.jpg

Though largely quiet during the day, Bourbon Street comes alive at night,

particularly during the French Quarter's many festivals (Mardi Gras anyone?).

P1840560-Copy_zps0bb144aa.jpg

Still on "Upper Bourbon Street" - the most visited section of Bourbon Street

(an eight-block section of popular tourist attractions).

P1840561-Copy_zps11c0441e.jpg

"Come on in, mon amie!" Great food, music, wonderful ambiance -- we were told by the entrance door!

“Yes, a dark time passed over this land, but now there is something like light.”

― Dave Eggers, "Zeitoun"

P1840579-Copy_zps53a173b3.jpg

P1840573-Copy_zps63780b12.jpg

P1840581-Copy_zpse54ae252.jpg

BOURBON Street - the vivid place where the LGBT community meets ordinary people ready to party, to have FUN!

P1840582-Copy_zpse05ae09b.jpg

P1840585-Copy_zpsad2fb7e4.jpg

The popular Mardi Gras BEADS... thousands of them in all colors and sizes @ Bourbon Street in NOLA!!!

P1840584-Copy_zpsff8e8684.jpg

Want to travel... in style? : - ))

P1840586-Copy_zpsbcb28111.jpg

BOURBON Street - the place to be on Sunday night... for fun, great MUSIC and lots of food!!!

We started kind of a BAR Crawl, focusing more on listening to the music... and some drinking too;

and the tunes and the ambiances could not be more different from a place to another! : - ))

From Rock & Roll, Cajun Zydeco and Trop Rock Island style music, we did find music to keep our feet tapping while enjoying

one of the local fabulous cocktails!

P1840568v-Copy_zps8c53aaa5.jpg

VIDEO (Live music at the Bayou Club on Bourbon Street, NOLA):

So come on in and get a Hand Grenade® Drink, or some of our other famous drinks like the Shark Attack, Horny Gator® or Tropical Itch®

while you are in the French Quarter!

P1840570v-Copy_zps336f2d37.jpg

VIDEO (Live music inside a club on Bourbon Street, NOLA):

P1840576-Copy_zps3e91cd09.jpg

Local open container laws in the French Quarter allow drinking alcoholic beverages in the street.

Popular drinks include the Hurricanes, Hand Grenades and

Huge Ass Beers - a large plastic cup of draft beer marketed to tourists at a low price.

P1840578-Copy_zpsffc3e173.jpg

VIDEO (Live music & colorful drinks @ club on Bourbon Street, NOLA):

P1840574-Copy_zpsa3a041de.jpg

Thank you soooo much for sharing all of your beautiful pictures and research, this has been a truly amazing review. I found an itinerary I liked on the Conquest in November and came to look for a review of the ship as I knew nothing about it and found your review.....DEFINATELY want to sail on her now! Thanks again for sharing your gift with us!

Thank you soooo much for sharing all of your beautiful pictures and research, this has been a truly amazing review.

I found an itinerary I liked on the Conquest in November and came to look for a review of the ship as I knew nothing about it and found your review.....DEFINATELY want to sail on her now!

Thanks again for sharing your gift with us!

Thank YOU sincerely , my dear lady, for the encouragement and the kind words.

If one person can find this thread helpful in any way or even inspiring, my job was worth it.

Additionally, I do appreciate people from all walks of life taking the time to browse throught it!

Finally, I am confident that with the 2.0 upgrades, the Conquest ship can only get better and

your sailing will be a memorable one!

P1840594-Copy_zps048bfe68.jpg

Now before entering the "red light district" section of the Bourbon Street,

we decided to stop at "The Bourbon SWAMP."

According to their website:

"Run up ‘n down Bourbon Street, you ain’t gone find another place like dis one.

The Swamp, right here at 516 Bourbon Street, got everything you lookin’ for:

... got da best French Quarter Courtyard full up with the prettiest bamboo you ever seen." But watch out!

‘Cause somewhere up in that courtyard lies “SWAMP THANG“ the notorious mechanical Bull Gator."

P1840593-Copy_zps8444b8bf.jpg

For couple of minutes, after walking through the pretty Bamboo Courtyard,

while seeping our drinks, we watched this guy who took couple of rides @

the mechanical Bull Gator:

P1840600-Copy_zps0e412886.jpg

"You know some folks are even crazy enough… or drunk enough to try to ride that “SWAMP THANG” -

the Bull Gator!"

P1840601v-Copy_zpsfdfbb533.jpg

VIDEO (Riding the mechanical bull in New Orleans, LA on a Sunday night):

P1840604-Copy_zps3cd33c94.jpg

(Check out the rustic brick and aged stucco walls;

beside the ornate wrought iron balcony and lush tropical French Quarter Courtyard)

P1840605-Copy_zps67b3452d.jpg

(Game OVER!)

Edited by daliflor

P1840653-Copy_zps7d7382ae.jpg

The dim lights and spooky decor were perfect for the electrifying music performances:

from jazz or blues, to rock and Country Western!

P1840640-Copy_zpsc83c6e4e.jpg

Apparently, Town & Country describes CHRIS OWENS as

"BEAUTY IN MOTION TO A FRENETIC TEMPO!"

P1840637-Copy_zpse1f1a3d6.jpg

Well, what can I say? As seen on the video clip posted below, we were very much entertained that night - no doubt!

VIDEO (Live entertainment @ Chris Owens Club on Bourbon Street, NOLA):

P1840657-Copy_zps9201a959.jpg

P1840643-Copy_zpsc25308e8.jpg

“The sun goes down and it's night-time in New Orleans.

The moon rises, midnight chimes from St. Louis cathedral, and hardly has the last note died away

than a gruesome swampland whistle sounds outside the deathly still house.

A fat Negress, basket on arm, comes trudging up the stairs a moment later, opens the door,

goes in to the papaloi, closes it again, traces an invisible mark on it with her forefinger and kisses it.

Then she turns and her eyes widen with surprise."

― Cornell Woolrich, "The Fantastic Stories of Cornell Woolrich"

P1840644-Copy_zps303090a3.jpg

P1840659-Copy_zps7f73e29a.jpg

P1840662-Copy_zpsf9af9d45.jpg

P1840664-Copy_zpse2c45da0.jpg

Looking for another great bird’s-eye view of Bourbon Street?

Some of the clubs’ 2nd floor Balcony Bars have a wrap-around balcony overlooking Bourbon Street!

And they offer so much more than just a Balcony on Bourbon Street!

The warm atmosphere coupled with the interactive entertainment experience takes the party to a whole new level!

P1840666-Copy_zps940119fc.jpg

And then there is the Barely Legal Clubs area of Bourbon Street!...

P1840667-Copy_zps19d46538.jpg

P1840669-Copy_zpsfc2c2694.jpg

P1840670-Copy_zps7ce78412.jpg

VIDEO (The always entertaining Bourbon Street in New Orleans, LA):

P1840673-Copy_zps767dddc5.jpg

“I'm not going to lay down in words the lure of this place.

Every great writer in the land, from Faulkner to Twain to Rice to Ford, has tried to do it and fallen short.

It is impossible to capture the essence, tolerance, and spirit of south Louisiana in words and

to try is to roll down a road of clichés, bouncing over beignets and beads and brass bands

and it just is what it is.

It is home.”

― Chris Rose, "1 Dead in Attic"

P1840674-Copy_zps2f153537.jpg

So here we are... at the end of Bourbon Street...

crossing over into CANAL Street to return to the hotel after a long but pleasant day

(Disembarkation day in NOLA).

P1840680-Copy_zps81c9b465.jpg

P1840686-Copy_zpsa7b50f8e.jpg

P1840683-Copy_zps232c7810.jpg

With the popular Mardi Gras coming up soon, I would like to

wrap up our first day in New Orleans (post-cruise) with the following thoughts:

“To encapsulate the notion of Mardi Gras as nothing more than a big drunk is to take the simple and stupid way out,

and I, for one, am getting tired of staying stuck on simple and stupid.

Mardi Gras is not a parade. Mardi Gras is not girls flashing on French Quarter balconies. Mardi Gras is not an alcoholic binge.

Mardi Gras is bars and restaurants changing out all the CD's in their jukeboxes to Professor Longhair and the Neville Brothers,

and it is annual front-porch crawfish boils hours before the parades so your stomach and attitude reach a state of grace,

and it is returning to the same street corner, year after year, and standing next to the same people, year after year--

people whose names you may or may not even know but you've watched their kids grow up in this public tableau and

when they're not there, you wonder: Where are those guys this year?

It is dressing your dog in a stupid costume and cheering when the marching bands go crazy and

clapping and saluting the military bands when they crisply snap to.

Now that part, more than ever.

It's mad piano professors converging on our city from all over the world and banging the 88's until dawn

and laughing at the hairy-shouldered men in dresses too tight and stalking the Indians under Claiborne overpass and

thrilling the years you find them and lamenting the years you don't and promising yourself you will next year.

It's wearing frightful color combination in public and rolling your eyes at the guy in your office who--like clockwork, year after year--

denies that he got the baby in the king cake and now someone else has to pony up the ten bucks for the next one.

Mardi Gras is the love of life.

It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living.

All at once.”

― Chris Rose, "1 Dead in Attic"

“The sun goes down and it's night-time in New Orleans.

The moon rises, midnight chimes from St. Louis cathedral, and hardly has the last note died away

than a gruesome swampland whistle sounds outside the deathly still house.

A fat Negress, basket on arm, comes trudging up the stairs a moment later, opens the door,

goes in to the papaloi, closes it again, traces an invisible mark on it with her forefinger and kisses it.

Then she turns and her eyes widen with surprise."

― Cornell Woolrich, "The Fantastic Stories of Cornell Woolrich"

NOW this character is so representative for the South! Priceless portrait!

P1840689-Copy_zpsd8267b92.jpg

Back to the hotel @ Magazine Street (off Canal Street... fairly close to Bourbon Street)... Sunday night!

P1840699-Copy_zps0d6a5abb.jpg

The hotel is convenient located in the heart of Downtown New Orleans, on Magazine Street.

P1840690-Copy_zps0eade0c2.jpg

This historic hotel is comprised of seven 19th-century buildings, giving it a charming,

boutique feel that "artfully blends old world charm with modern comforts."

P1840692-Copy_zps348780c0.jpg

P1840691-Copy_zpsb5a2837f.jpg

Our rooms were spacious, comfortable, and clean, some of them are

featuring exposed wooden beams and brick walls, making them charmingly unique

(similar to the ones seen here in the Lobby area).

P1840693-Copy_zps2c51f3c5.jpg

Good night, NOLA!

New Orleans is a hot town right now, hosting the Super Bowl this weekend and Mardi Gras immediately after.

New Orleans, the city known for hurricanes and $1.00 Jello shots on Bourbon Street, is now also the home of a limited-time, $10,000 cocktail!

ht_key_city_cocktail_nt_130131_wg.jpg

The "Key to the City" cocktail is available only at the Windsor Court Hotel until February 12.

It is made of D'Oliveiras Malvasia 1907 Madeira Cobbler and served in a silver julep cup, garnished with fresh fruit and souvenir gold key.

NOW this character is so representative for the South! Priceless portrait!

Thanks, truby!

This lady represents one of the memories that I cherish dearly about New Orleans, LA.

The other day I was actually reading a blogger's entry

esentially about tourists capturing pictures of locals in NOLA:

"that’s the price we pay for living in a city that people like to visit.

We become a part of the city itself, just as much a part of the landscape

as the oak trees and wrought-iron balconies.

As New Orleanians, we should recognize this. The people are what make cities

the places that they are.

The food is exceptional; the scenery, otherworldly; and the drinks, sweet and strong;

but what makes New Orleans so New Orleans-y is the people,

every single one an architect of the culture we hold so dear.

Who wouldn’t want to take a picture of that?"

Bottom line: SMILE, readers!

Why? Because as the blogger concluded

"Either way, you’re likely going to be in the picture, so put your best face forward.

Remember that as intrusive as tourists can be, they’re there because they recognize

something exceptional in the place that we call home, and want to capture it.

Most importantly, perhaps, feel lucky that the French Quarter is right down the street

instead of pressed in your photo album."

Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful review and the amazing photos to go with it :) We are taking our 2 teens on a 3 week vacation in April and my daughter, who is graduating next year, has dreamed about going to New Orleans ever since my husband and I went 5 yrs ago :D

We decided to treat them to a cruise and it just seemed fitting to take it out of New Orleans!

My family and I are loving hearing and seeing so much of both the cruise and New Orleans

Once again, thank you for taking the time to posting a review!

OMG - she's still a waitress there? I remember her from 4 years ago.

Indeed!

Thank you for confirming indirectly my earlier point:

the local people = the architects of the cultures that we come in contact with while cruising!

And we often remember Mexico in general and Cozumel in particular for its hospitality and its beautiful people!

Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful review and the amazing photos to go with it :) We are taking our 2 teens on a 3 week vacation in April and my daughter, who is graduating next year, has dreamed about going to New Orleans ever since my husband and I went 5 yrs ago :D

We decided to treat them to a cruise and it just seemed fitting to take it out of New Orleans!

My family and I are loving hearing and seeing so much of both the cruise and New Orleans

Once again, thank you for taking the time to posting a review!

You got me with your location -- I am still to meet Canadians that are not wonderful people!

Additionally, hats off for a family willing to treat their kids to a cruise!

Finally, Thank YOU, my dear lady, for taking the time to visit this thread and leave a positive comment.

Happy sailing and have a special drink for us in fascinating New Orleans! Is it April yet?! : - ))

OP, first let me say that I have enjoyed your review and really appreciate the time you took to do this review.

I do however agree with other poster(s) about some of the pics. I'd be really upset if those were pics of me or my kids. With that said, for all I know, these are people you personally know, or pics of your family and you had their permission to take their photos.

I had personally been sitting here wondering about the people in these pics when I came across the comment from the others about it creeping them out. So then I thought I would comment as well.

I love that you took photos. But I don't think it's right to zoom in on people and photos of them and then post them to a public forum without their knowledge or permission.

As your friend came to your defense, stating she knows the woman behind the camera...that's great. Other people don't know her. And we don't know who is viewing the photos online.

I'll give you a personal reason why...and this might help explain a little why some people might not appreciate a public posting of their photo.

I have an ex husband. A very abusive, horrible ex husband who not only abused me, but our children as well. Since CPS recommended no contact with him several years ago, that has been my goal. Keeping my children safe from him. The less he knows about me and my kids, the better. you will notice my photo in my signature line does not show anything. you can zoom all you want, but you cannot tell what i really look like.

Photos of items, places etc are wonderful. people in the background not zoomed in on.... okay. you can easily do a photo search now of the internet to find people's faces. Not a good idea for a mother trying to hide her children from a crazy ex or someone else trying to hide from their child's abuser.

That's just my 2 cents worth, and I hope that you can see it coming from the honest and sincere way it's meant. I think we all agree that we truly have enjoyed your review, and appreciate the time you took to put it together. I took several notes from info I learned from it. It is very helpful for many. But it could also be very hurtful to one. The girl with the tattoo with the word misspelled (which is why I thought you took the pic lol) God knows I certainly would not want my photo in a swimsuit front and center on someone's computer screen neither. That could cause the screen to break :eek:

Anyways, just another side of fence to consider...and again, thank you for the review.

Edited by Almost Packed

OP, first let me say that I have enjoyed your review and really appreciate the time you took to do this review.

I'll give you a personal reason why....

Anyways, just another side of fence to consider...and again, thank you for the review.

Your courage and survival story = an inspiration to many!

Personally, I admire your strength, your fight and perseverance for a healthier life and a better future for your children!

Thank you for a candid and honest feedback!

what a fab review!

Thank you for putting so much detail into everything you did on your cruise, it's really helped me with planning my next cruise

:)

The excitement of your very first cruise! You signature line took me back almost 10 years ago... to my very first and still best cruise to date!...

The first cruise is a deal maker or a breaker as one can either get hooked or, surprisingly,

some may realize that cruising is not for them.

Either way, ENJOY yourself and LIVE the moment to the maximum!

Take time to smell the roses... to look around the ship... to exploresome or all Ports of Call in your itinerary!

One week flies by so quickly sometimes...

You may want to wake up earlier one day and reward yourself with a beautiful sunrise or

may linger on the decks long enough to admire an awesome sunset...

Whatever you do, have FUN and take it ALL in!

"It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better."

- Sir Francis Drake

Your courage and survival story = an inspiration to many!

Personally, I admire your strength, your fight and perseverance for a healthier life and a better future for your children!

Thank you for a candid and honest feedback!

The excitement of your very first cruise! You signature line took me back almost 10 years ago... to my very first and still best cruise to date!...

The first cruise is a deal maker or a breaker as one can either get hooked or, surprisingly,

some may realize that cruising is not for them.

Either way, ENJOY yourself and LIVE the moment to the maximum!

Take time to smell the roses... to look around the ship... to exploresome or all Ports of Call in your itinerary!

One week flies by so quickly sometimes...

You may want to wake up earlier one day and reward yourself with a beautiful sunrise or

may linger on the decks long enough to admire an awesome sunset...

Whatever you do, have FUN and take it ALL in!

"It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better."

- Sir Francis Drake

Thanks for your kind words....it was hard. it was the scariest thing I have ever done...and ever will.

Talking about first cruises, and remembering them and all, I recently did a search here on the boards and found my very first postings, and read through them regarding my first cruise and read all the excitement in my "typed words". I'll never forget that first time seeing my ship, and then boarding her. I get excited every time I board a ship...but nothing like the anticipation of that very first time. I hope none of us forget that feeling.

I did almost "hate cruising" due to some bad experiences we had the first night or two. Thankfully a fellow CC member from our roll call found out, told us that was not the norm and helped us solve the problem. From then on, we were hooked! :D

I have been on these boards since early 2007 when I took my first cruise. So I had to go back a while, but it was really cute reading how clueless I was in the beginning (and sometimes still lol). Thanks to these boards I found an amazing cabin, got an awesome OBC over $600 and booked my own excursion in GC...all thanks to wonderful CC members-all this for my first cruise.

On Monday, October 1st was one of our friends birthday, so we showered her with gifts, B-day cards and a...

virtual Birthday cake

(that we found the night before in New Orleans while window shopping on Dumaine Street,

before reaching famous Bourbon Street):

P1840451A-Copy_zpsd99689dd.jpg

We enjoyed a complimentary breakfast at the hotel that morning and

took some time to explore the historic building too.

P1840707-Copy_zpse357753b.jpg

P1840706-Copy_zps1b95ba9d.jpg

This historic hotel is comprised of seven 19th-century buildings, giving it a charming,

boutique feel that "artfully blends old world charm with modern comforts."

P1840701-Copy_zpse28b574c.jpg

P1840702-Copy_zps015d94b7.jpg

P1840703-Copy_zps7f47f8a8.jpg