Travel Insurance - Carnival's or other provider?

songbird1329

I had already priced insurance before I called the PVP to book the cruise. When he offered me what I thought was better coverage at the same price, I couldn't pass it up. Plus we get to pay for it right on our cruise account so we don't have to worry about getting someone else paid.

Just curious what everyone else does.

We just added coverage through Carnival, but not until I got a quote from another provider. Cost and coverage were comperable.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I had already priced insurance before I called the PVP to book the cruise. When he offered me what I thought was better coverage at the same price, I couldn't pass it up. Plus we get to pay for it right on our cruise account so we don't have to worry about getting someone else paid.

Carnival's coverage (Medical and Emergency Evac) is actually pretty much the lowest that's offered and it doesn't include Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions. ken

Actually - if the Heart condition or Diabetes was totally under control, no changes in Rx, no hospitalization or new treatment in 60 days preceding insurance purchase, you should be covered. IMO it's "easier" to buy a policy that has "waiver of pre-existing conditions" so that you don't have to (potentially) argue with Insurance Company as to whether your issue was/wasn't considered a pre-existing condition.

ken

But if you are taking Insulin or have had a heart attack in the past, would that be considered a pre existing condition? Now we are into the "Under control" clause and back to the argument with the insurance company.

But if you are taking Insulin or have had a heart attack in the past, would that be considered a pre existing condition? Now we are into the "Under control" clause and back to the argument with the insurance company.

Does this mean you're in a situation where insurance company is trying to deny your claim as due to a pre-existing condition? What are they pointing to in the policy that makes it pre-existing?

I'd check to see if your "condition" is specifically listed as an exception to the "under control" thing, in which case they've "got" you. Some Policies list some conditions that they declare as "pre-existing".

Otherwise, if the condition initially occurred outside the Policy's xx day Lookback window (the xx days preceding purchase of the insurance) and no new/changed Rx for the insured, no change of treatment recommended for the insured, no hospitalization required, IMO the condition isn't pre-existing (even tho it actually "existed" prior to your insurance purchase? You might ultimately get a statement from your Doctor(s) confirming all these scenarios.

If you're looking at Booking and buying Insurance and are concerned about a specific scenario, I'd call the Insurance (not Carnival Agent) and ask.

ken

My regular insurance covers most things but I use Travelex on top. Its primary insurance with no deductible its easier if needed. No need to be calling two insurace companies if something happens.

I had to use the insurance one time for a minor problem, but before they would pay me back, I had to send it through my own insurance first, then send what they said to them in order for them to pay.

I had to use the insurance one time for a minor problem, but before they would pay me back, I had to send it through my own insurance first, then send what they said to them in order for them to pay.

Your insurance was Secondary, which has the minor disadvantage that the secondary insurance has to do "coordination of benefits" with your Primary insurance. If you buy Insurance that is Primary, you won't have to do this. Carnival's VPP is Secondary.

If you were comparing Policies/coverages, if everything else was equal (unlikely) IMO you would choose Primary over Secondary.

ken

We've always chosen Travelsafe. It is secondary but it was no big deal. I just sent them a letter stating that care out of the USA was not covered. We had no problems getting the bills paid.

We are both young <30 (but not for long :mad:) and have actually had to use it twice! Both times, we got the money quickly without additional hassle.

Just curious what everyone else does.

We just added coverage through Carnival, but not until I got a quote from another provider. Cost and coverage were comperable.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

we use the online firm protect your bubble, worth calling their sales team as the online policy doesn't always fit, but always helpful and a lot cheaper.

Thats why I use Travelex. Its primary insurance. 90% of the ones on insuremytrip.com and the cruislines are secondary.

Archived