Recommendations for brunch / lunch in new york

Cunard Rules

We've done quite a few B2B crossings on QM2 and we always like to meet up with friends (usually about ten of us on a large table!) at South Street Seaport where there are ample restaurants and many shops. We like to eat at either The Sequoia or Reds (Mexican) both owned by the same people. The food and service is great. We've either take a town car from Red Hook but we've also used the bus and subway which is quick and easy.

My wife and I were faced with a similar situation we arrived New York on 5th November 2006 only to find that the New York Marathon was being run that day, the Brooklyn Bridge was closed to traffic.

After a two hour cattle class expirience with New York immigration we returned on board really fed up.

I resolved to try to make the best of the situation and after to speaking to the head waiter in the Britannia Dinning room we found our selves seated at a table for two window seat with the New York skyline as a back drop (WOW) we had a wonderful lunch and honestly it does not get better than this.

So think long and hard as to weather to go ashore at all, the location is to die for the service beyond reproach, most passengers ashore and new ones yet to arrive wonderful.

I hope your fond memories of the occasion last as long as ours.:)

Then you were lucky. If you are "In Transit" on a B2B crossing usually the only lunchtime dining option on board is in the Kings Chaos. We've managed to get into the Britannia Restaurant two or three times but otherwise have been turned away due to Travel Agents, publicity people etc having a free lunch on board.

I also vote for Katz's Deli. Still the best deli in NYC

For some real NY only places visit Little Italy/ Chinatown

Worlds best hotdogs-Grey's Papaya

Bagels-Esa Bagel

Jean-Georges has a wondeful 3 course lunch menu for under $50 per person. 3 star michelin restaurant

Was not impresssed by Peter Lugar. It was good not great. I am a former

New Yorker and a total foodie so would be happy to answer and questions.

I am looking for a few good ones in London before our crossing.

theasrkid@aol.com

Indeed but, as a native, I'd love to know what appeals to you?

Mary:)

Hi Mary. Truth is, not many have time for a proper lunch or brunch in Manhattan during the work week. Expense accounts aren't what they used to be; there is no more free lunch. At hot dog stands along Fifth Avenue, you'll see people in suits (some of them are men), and all sorts of folks.

Now dinner is a differnt story, but that wasn't the question.

Personally, if I had a limited amount of time in NYC, I wouldn't spend it a restaurant at lunch time - that's for punters. ;)

Now dinner is a differnt story, but that wasn't the question. ;)

I think we have done a fairly good job of giving the OP many varied options for brunch/lunch. Like Mary, I would like to know what restaurants you enjoy. Give us your top five or ten for dinner.

I think we have done a fairly good job of giving the OP many varied options for brunch/lunch. Like Mary, I would like to know what restaurants you enjoy. Give us your top five or ten for dinner.

Hi imacruizer. I'm not the best person to ask for restaurant recommendations. I cringe when I think of how much money my husband I spent spent in NYC restaurants in the past.

After we took our first cruise on QM2, it became clear: a choice had to be made. We pay all our bills monthy, and carry no debt. So instead of going to restaurants daily, we saved for ocean voyages. Turns out, we became fairly good cooks and enjoy our meals at home made with fresh ingredients and cooked to order.

We have fun with the dress code for our evening meals at home.

So I'm not the best person ro ask about restaurants because I have found better use for my time and money - just a matter of personal choice (and living with my means). Regards, Salacia

Archived