Recommendations for brunch / lunch in new york

Cunard Rules

My partner and I are on a BTB Transatlantic voyage on QM2 in November and will therefore only have a few hours spare in New York.

As we have done the usually tourist attractions before and we REALLY like our food; we are after any recommendations of places to go for brunch / lunch in Manhattan.

We are not looking for anywhere swanky just good hearty "American" (possibly thinking Deli, Grills, Steakhouse??) food that you would not get in England.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

My partner and I are on a BTB Transatlantic voyage on QM2 in November and will therefore only have a few hours spare in New York.

As we have done the usually tourist attractions before and we REALLY like our food; we are after any recommendations of places to go for brunch / lunch in Manhattan.

We are not looking for anywhere swanky just good hearty "American" (possibly thinking Deli, Grills, Steakhouse??) food that you would not get in England.

Last time we were in New York we went to Keens Steakhouse - we were invited there by a friend currently living in NY. Fantastic steak and lamb - not cheap by any means and I think you probably do pay a premium because of the location - but we had a great meal with good service

In Manhattan try the Stage Deli—7th Avenue between 53rd & 54th or stay in Brooklyn and try the River Deli at 32 Joralemon St.

We will be doing something similar in December - what arrangements have you made for transport into Manhattan ?

It appears that Cunard do not operate a Shuttle bus service from the Brooklyn Cruise terminal.

We will be doing something similar in December - what arrangements have you made for transport into Manhattan ?

It appears that Cunard do not operate a Shuttle bus service from the Brooklyn Cruise terminal.

I think we will get a cab, probably just as quick as try to get to the subway and then in to Manhattan - But open to suggestions.

Carnegie Deli, 7th ave & 55th st is also a good deli choice. Huge deli plates. Check their website out for pictures of the food. :D the South Street Seaport area just across the Brooklyn Bridge from Red Hook has some good seafood places on the East River.

Elephant and Castle. It's lovely.

http://www.elephantandcastle.com/

And then have a little trip to the Highline and have a very pleasant wander through NYC's newest park, and see a nice part of town from 30ft up. Def recommend.

http://www.thehighline.org/

Regards,

Mr. H

Thanks for both suggestions but in particular about the Highline, I read about this a while ago and then forgot all about it, excellent idea for a couple of hours in NY.

Jim,

You posted about Carnegie Deli before I was able to. A completely unique NY experience.

Another suggestion if you want to go further downtown is Katz's Deli on Houston Street, made famous in ":When Harry Met Sally."

There are so many great places but for a Brit I think experiencing a NY deli will be something to remember.

Jim,

You posted about Carnegie Deli before I was able to. A completely unique NY experience.

Another suggestion if you want to go further downtown is Katz's Deli on Houston Street, made famous in ":When Harry Met Sally."

There are so many great places but for a Brit I think experiencing a NY deli will be something to remember.

That was my thought too. NYC delis are like no others. The sandwiches, as you know, at Carnegie are INSANE! :eek: And darn good too. There are so very many good places to eat in NYC that you could spend a lifetime eating there and not come close to tasting it all. Getting hungry here just thinking about it.:D

My wife and I were faced with a similar situation we arrived New York on 5th November 2006 only to find that the New York Marathon was being run that day, the Brooklyn Bridge was closed to traffic.

After a two hour cattle class expirience with New York immigration we returned on board really fed up.

I resolved to try to make the best of the situation and after to speaking to the head waiter in the Britannia Dinning room we found our selves seated at a table for two window seat with the New York skyline as a back drop (WOW) we had a wonderful lunch and honestly it does not get better than this.

So think long and hard as to weather to go ashore at all, the location is to die for the service beyond reproach, most passengers ashore and new ones yet to arrive wonderful.

I hope your fond memories of the occasion last as long as ours.:)

The Oyster Bar in Grand Central is interesting. The pan roast oysters (similar to a chowder) is good. Also stop by Magnolia's Bakery (several locations) for the best cupcakes. Be prepared to wait 20 minutes just to get a cupcake.

If you choose this option you will be near the Meatpacking district - very fashionable now and the Nabisco factory which was converted to shops & small eateries....the Restaurant we eat at is Pastis....lots of galleries & restaurants...14th street & 9-10th avenues at the start of the High Line...

http://www.pastisny.com/

QUOTE=Cunard Rules;35758754]Thanks for both suggestions but in particular about the Highline, I read about this a while ago and then forgot all about it, excellent idea for a couple of hours in NY.

If you choose this option you will be near the Meatpacking district - very fashionable now and the Nabisco factory which was converted to shops & small eateries....the Restaurant we eat at is Pastis....lots of galleries & restaurants...14th street & 9-10th avenues at the start of the High Line...

http://www.pastisny.com/

I, too, like Pastis! The Meatpacking District is lots of fun!

Archived