Fascination b2b Oct 8-18

gusandgidgetsmom

First I will let you know a little about us. We are a married couple in our 60's. I am platinum, my husband gold. He is retired from a very physical job in the utility business in supervision. I am co-owner of a cheer and gymnastics company and teach both cheer and gymnastics.

I frequent these boards and have read some evry negative things about Carnival lately. I have cruised several cruise lines and feel that several are more similar than different-those being RCCl,NCL and Carnival. I have seen changes in all the lines since the beginning of my cruise experience in the '80's. Some I like others not so much, but nothing has stopped my love for cruising.

An overall view of this Ship and these cruises was that it was very enjoyable. It met my expectations and exceeded in some areas.

Our dining staff was the best we have ever had on any cruise. The food was good-always hot when it should be and cold when it should be. I do not expect it to be 5 star, but do expect it to be palatable. Our servers were always there when they needed to be, friendly when we saw them both at the dining room and elsewhere and absent when we just wanted to be alone to talk.

The ship is starting to show it's age, but heck I cruised on the Mardi Gras and it was more like a barge! Our room was adequate-We choose to be in a balcony--8D--cabin rather than a suite this time. Our room steward kept our room clean and the ice bucket filled. I did not ask for ice but was glad it was there. He was not one of those overly friendly types but did his job and knew our name.

I had wondered if we would hear any live music as I had read on the boards they had done away with it. We saw/heard live groups, bands every day. The two shows we had seen before but both were fun. The music was ok--I enjoyed watching the dancers as I teach cheer and there is a lot of dance in it. Some of my cheerleaders could have out danced the dancers, but still fun. Wish they would find a way to place the poles in the Palace lounge in such a way that they did not obstruct ones view.

During the first cruise we booked a cruise to Hawaii to get the $200.00 OBC. It was a very easy process.

I will continue this with a day by day synopsis tomorrow with highlights of each day so that those of you thinking about going on this ship will have a pretty good idea what goes on. If I can figure out how to download pixs I will.

It was so great to meet you on board!!!

I have to agree with you about Carnival and alot of the complaints on here. I plan on doing a review too but this was our 2nd time on the Fascination & this time was WAY better than last year. I do feel Carnival has made some cutbacks since I started cruising 6 years ago & would love to see some of them brought back but overall Carnival is a good bargain. What I really would like brought back is the FCC!!! We can't book on board because my husband can't put in his leave this far in advance and don't have the $$ to pay for the deposits while on board but I'm glad you were able to book your Hawaii crusie:)

We drove to port as I had to work at a cheer comp on Sunday and did not want to fly in the day of. After a 12 1/2 hour trip we we happy to lay our heads in a bed at the Holiday Inn Express/Blount Island. It is the closest hotel to port, has a cruise and park package, but is definitely not the cheapest, altho not terribly expensive. We used points so got the room free and paid $50.00 for parking for 10 days and shuttle to and from.

Day 1: The shuttle arrived at the hotel at 10:30--less than 5 minutes we were at the port and inside the VIP lounge. We were checked in immediately--thank goodness as it was very hot in the lounge. The lounge is not as nice as some but we were ushered to a seat in the main part. No sooner than we sat down we were directed to board the ship. Easiest boarding yet!

We went to the Lido and had a bite to eat. The doors were opened to the rooms at 1:30. I have read on here that some believe platinum and diamond get to go to their rooms earlier, but we have always been told that is not true so as I am such an anal rule follower I did not even attempt this.

This day was the safety briefing so went to it. It was extremly easy this time as we were in a lounge and did not go out to the life boats as it was raining.

We went to Lido deck to watch us go under the bridge. Wow it was close. Good thing I was not the captain--I'd probably hit it!

Our luggage was at the room before the briefing so I got everything unpacked and went to the dining room.

We had early seating and as I mentioned before had the best service ever.

We were both tired so went to bed early.

2nd day--SEA DAY-

went to breakfast in dining room. We enjoy the MDR as it is not as crowded as Lido. Went to the Serenity deck and had a hard time getting a lounger. Sat in the back row in the shade for quite some time before getting a sunny lounger. Carnival does not stick to their rule of not letting people save seats. Oh well it wasn't awful but have a tough time with those that do not follow rules.

Ate on Lido-I like the deli sandwiches and my hubby likes pizza so that was pretty much fare for the lunch on this cruise.

This was formal--well Elegant night-- so we dressed up and went to dinner. I think this cruise I saw more dressed up than I have in a number of years. Never saw any rule breakers in the dining room the entire two cruises! The one thing that did bother me was that a large table next to us would all wander in at different times, some as late as an hour after we were to be there, and then demand service!

We got to know one of our wait staff pretty well and he told us that they had all taken their tips off. So the employees do know if you take off the tips.

We went ot the first big show of hte cruise--Mambo. We had seen it before but it was still fun. We were tired and went back to the room to read.

Day 3--KEY WEST

ate in the dining room for breakfast again. We then got off the ship around 8:30 My husband's first time in Key West--I had been several times by cruise ship and flown in. We went right outside of the port area and got tickets for the hop on hop off city trolley. We are Sr. Citizens so we got them for 20.00. I think that is only a dollar off the regular price. The loop is an hour and takes you all around the city. You can hop off at any point and then get back on. We rode the entire loop just to see what was available and then we chose to go back and get off at the stops we were interested in. My husband does not like to walk alot--bad ankle--so this was the perfect excursion.

When we got back on the ship the future cruise desk was open so we booked our cruise to Hawaii.

The past guest party for gold, platinum and diamond was at 5. The party was the best I have been to so far. Good drinks, appetizers and had a little fun.

Dinner and then as we were both miserable from too much food went back to room.

More tomorrow as we travel to Nassau.

Just remembered for those of you that are traveling with liquor. I had heard that they were being very picky so I wanted to make sure they knew I had wine in my carry on. When I told the lady I had alcohol ,before they put it thru the scanner, she just looked at me and laughed and said well you look as if you are over 21. She did not ask how much I had or check to see what it was.

Archived