Matanuska Glacier

Leftover

I've been there at 9am. I do suggest you consider one of the guided options, as you DO need crampons for access, in my opinion. Having a guide, also moves you a lot farther, where it is superior interesting. The guides, can ax out access quickly as well as know where they are going and best ways about the glacier.

I've been there at 9am. I do suggest you consider one of the guided options, as you DO need crampons for access, in my opinion. Having a guide, also moves you a lot farther, where it is superior interesting. The guides, can ax out access quickly as well as know where they are going and best ways about the glacier.

I've read that the hike to the lake is 30 minutes without stopping and to factor in 60 minutes with stops for photos. Is this an accurate depiction?

I will be in Talkneeta the day prior to my plans to visit Matanuska but if my plans for scenic flying in Talkneeta are canceled due to weather I am willing to stay longer to try to do scenic flying and am wondering how late access to Matanuska glacier is?

I've read that the hike to the lake is 30 minutes without stopping and to factor in 60 minutes with stops for photos. Is this an accurate depiction?

I will be in Talkneeta the day prior to my plans to visit Matanuska but if my plans for scenic flying in Talkneeta are canceled due to weather I am willing to stay longer to try to do scenic flying and am wondering how late access to Matanuska glacier is?

"Access" how, with a tour? The guides I have used had their last tours at 3pm.

You need to allow about 3+++ hours for the drive, to give a cushion for construction, brief stops.

The Glacier is 102 miles down the Glen Highway. Also, you can not travel all that quickly down the highway. (up and down and around the mountains) You need to leave time for the drive.

This milage is from Anchorage. They are coming from Talkeetna. You have to cut off about 45 miles to Palmer.

I've viewed the Matanuska Glacier Adventures website and also did a web search seeking the hours that this privately owned glacier is open.

Anyone know the hours that they are open?

When we were there last month they said they closed at 9pm but if we were a little late past that time getting back we could just lift the gate up ourselves to get out.

The glacier keeps changing from year to year and path to the lake in Sept this year was a muddy mess and was just ice last year and easier to access. A guide is really the way to go. They do know that best and safest paths. Definitely not a place to be with just tennis shoes or even hiking boots without crampons.

Archived