October cruise to Bermuda on The Explorer - Picture Review

mpcaruth

• 2 months later...

Wow! Awesome review. Very helpful in planning my own 3 days on this same cruise. I would not have thought it possible to do all the things you folks did in one day! You must have been quite exhausted at the end of each of your 3 days! Thanks for taking the time...very helpful!

Wow! Awesome review. Very helpful in planning my own 3 days on this same cruise. I would not have thought it possible to do all the things you folks did in one day! You must have been quite exhausted at the end of each of your 3 days! Thanks for taking the time...very helpful!

Yes, I do try to cram everything in; I am just afraid I am going to miss something! One of the great things about a Bermuda cruise, is that by staying overnight, you do not have to rush to get back to the ship. If you are tired, you can go back, and if if you still have energy, you can keep going. I will say though, I was beyond exhausted the day we snorkeled at Tobacco Bay and then got the bright idea to walk all the way to Sea Glass Beach later that evening.

Enjoy your cruise! I highly recommend the walk from Horseshoe Bay to Warwick Long Bay. You can stop halfway at Jobson's Cove and take a swim and relax before heading on.

mpcaruth - So Good!!! Excellent photos - thank you for Sharing!!!!!!!!!

There was no issue with (available light) photography at the Ice show (no announcements of no photography due to copyright.....)??? I'm looking fwd to trying this at Allure's Ice show.

thanks,

Ken

mpcaruth - So Good!!! Excellent photos - thank you for Sharing!!!!!!!!!

There was no issue with (available light) photography at the Ice show (no announcements of no photography due to copyright.....)??? I'm looking fwd to trying this at Allure's Ice show.

thanks,

Ken

Thanks! I enjoy sharing my photos.

There were lots of people taking photos with flash at the Ice Show. I never heard an announcement not to take photos. I turned my flash off and set my point and shoot camera to sports mode. That forced the ISO high. The photos are a little grainy, but there was enough light.

I would to cruise the Allure! Have fun.

Edited by mpcaruth

• 1 month later...

I cannot wait to get back to Bermuda- on the 9 night cruise we are only there for one day but I love horseshoe bay beach - I can see with my limited time I am missing some awesome sights - thanks for the beautiful pictures and reveiw.

• 4 months later...
Previous posts 52 & 53 give details on my two cameras

1) DSLR - Canon Rebel T1i

2) point & shoot, mega-zoom with Aquapac waterproof bag: Panasonic Lumix

We are leaving for our next cruise in a couple of weeks and I am considering buying the latest Panasonic Lumix model ZS19. My current Lumix is over 3 years old and technology has improved since then.

Hi, I really appreciated your review; I am traveling to Bermuda in May and I have two questions for you. I have been planning our itinerary and wonder if you would comment on your preferred snorkel location. I had thought South beaches/Jobsen's cover, but not so sure now after your posts. My second question is whether or not the camera bag you are using would work for any camera or if the Lumex cameras you are referring to are also waterproof? I have a Canon SX series camera that takes great pics and I wonder if I could just bag it and take it under water. Thanks for your replies! Laurie

Hi, I really appreciated your review; I am traveling to Bermuda in May and I have two questions for you. I have been planning our itinerary and wonder if you would comment on your preferred snorkel location. I had thought South beaches/Jobsen's cover, but not so sure now after your posts. My second question is whether or not the camera bag you are using would work for any camera or if the Lumex cameras you are referring to are also waterproof? I have a Canon SX series camera that takes great pics and I wonder if I could just bag it and take it under water. Thanks for your replies! Laurie

My favorite snorkeling was definitely Tobacco Bay! Such a calm relaxing place to snorkel. If you are feeling adventurous you can see even more fish, coral, and squid over by the rocks (standing on beach looking towards the water, the rocks are on the right).

The surf was a little rough for my liking at Church Bay the day we went. I am not sure if it is like that all the time or not. The coral and sea life was more dense over by the rocks, but I was afraid the surf would throw me into the rocks. So, I played it safe and stayed away from the rocks. I will say, swimming among a school of about 40-50 bright blue parrot fish gave me a great rush!

Jobson's Cove is not really a place to snorkel. I had my gear with me and we did see a few fish. However, I loved Jobson's Cove. It was truly like no other place I have ever been, and I definitely recommend you visit Jobson's Cove.

The are a few different sizes of Aquapac bags. I would think there is one to fit just about any camera: check the camera dimensions. I have the one with the hard extended lens.

http://usstore.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-camera-cases/mini-camera-case-with-hard-lens-uss428.html

You can buy it directly from manufacturer, or numerous online stores (typically cheaper).

Have a wonderful time in Bermuda. What an amazing island!!!

My favorite snorkeling was definitely Tobacco Bay! Such a calm relaxing place to snorkel. If you are feeling adventurous you can see even more fish, coral, and squid over by the rocks (standing on beach looking towards the water, the rocks are on the right).

The surf was a little rough for my liking at Church Bay the day we went. I am not sure if it is like that all the time or not. The coral and sea life was more dense over by the rocks, but I was afraid the surf would throw me into the rocks. So, I played it safe and stayed away from the rocks. I will say, swimming among a school of about 40-50 bright blue parrot fish gave me a great rush!

Jobson's Cove is not really a place to snorkel. I had my gear with me and we did see a few fish. However, I loved Jobson's Cove. It was truly like no other place I have ever been, and I definitely recommend you visit Jobson's Cove.

The are a few different sizes of Aquapac bags. I would think there is one to fit just about any camera: check the camera dimensions. I have the one with the hard extended lens.

http://usstore.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-camera-cases/mini-camera-case-with-hard-lens-uss428.html

You can buy it directly from manufacturer, or numerous online stores (typically cheaper).

Have a wonderful time in Bermuda. What an amazing island!!!

Thank you! I have looked at your link to the camera bag and I agree it will work with my camera. It's at least 1/4 the price of purchasing another underwater camera. I will also have a look at Tobacco Bay based on your experience. Thanks again, Laurie

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you! I have looked at your link to the camera bag and I agree it will work with my camera. It's at least 1/4 the price of purchasing another underwater camera. I will also have a look at Tobacco Bay based on your experience. Thanks again, Laurie

I found a great snorkeling blog that has reviews of a few snorkeling locations in Bermuda. There is not one of Tobacco Bay, but there is a review of Church Bay (which looks amazing, with the disclaimer that to see this the winds and surf must be calm - which weren't when we visited).

http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/snorkeling-church-bay.html

There is also good information for other snorkeling spots in Bermuda:

http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/bermuda-snorkeling.html

Enjoy planning your cruise and snorkeling trip(s)!

• 2 months later...