Carnival Glory vs. Caribbean Princess - which one for 14 yo boys?

dshebert

Hello everyone.

We have 5 families that are wanting to take our son's on a cruise next year for 8th grade graduation. We're looking at Caribbean Princess and Carnival Glory. Tell me which one would be better and why :) Thanks for your feedback.

We went on the Glory Last May/June with 5 kids ages ranging from 14 to 8 yrs old and they all enjoyed the Glory so much and want to go back on again. I also enjoyed the Glory very much the decor is awesome and the crew was great...the crew won't be the same now but they were great. That was one of my Fav ships. You can also go to the Princess Boards and ask this question..i am sure oyu will get some good responses. I haven't been on the Caribbean Princess yet but have heard good things about it. Also you can see what both ships offer far as for the Teens. I know the Glory has an awesome Teen club with al the latest games, dancing and meet mingle areas with other teens onboard. Plus all the neat things the staff put on for the teens to get involved in and enjoy. Good luck on your choice and have a terrific cruise!!, cyt

We have three kids, 16 year old son, 13 and 11 yr old daughters. We sailed the CP over Christmas and really had a wonderful trip. We sail the Glory this 4th of July so I can give you some input after that. This will be our first time on carnival. My son's first cruise was the Western Disney Magic in 2002, this will be his 4th. I don't think you can go wrong on either ship. The fact that he will have a group of friends from home, I guarantee it will be their best vacation ever. They will not be bored.

the Glory with my sons (12 and 15) and my 12 year olds 13 year old friends. The boys had a ball, but they always do on cruises, regardless of the ship. You can't go wrong for them with either one, especially if their friends are with them.

Me personally, I would prefer Princess, so maybe you should take everyone's tastes into account? I've never sailed Princess, but I've sailed Celebrity, Disney, RCL, NCL and Carnival, and would rank them in that order of preference. I found the Glory to be too noisy, too crowded and too garish in decor for my taste, but some people might like that....

CruisingDawg, to each his (or her) own. If the OP wants to celebrate it, then by all means, why is it your business to criticize them for it?

Where I grew up, 9th grade graduation was celebrated (as it marked leaving junior high and on to high school), and it was a big deal in my town. Please have an open mind.

When our oldest graduated college, we did a cruise with our four sons and four of their friends. We opted for the Carnival Legend 8 night sailing out of NYC to San Juan-St. Thomas-Tortola. The kids had a blast (ages 17-22 at the time).

Now the youngest is graduating from college next May. I would like to do Princess (which is MY favorite cruiseline), but I left it up to the kids. They unanimously voted for Carnival again. Their friends (who will be joining them again) agreed. So we've booked the Carnival Valor for May 28, 2006.

I've been on both cruiselines (as well as RCI and NCL) and I have to say, although I love Princess, I think kids have more fun on Carnival. It's just a more "fun" atmosphere. They don't call them the "fun ships" for nothing!

If you think celebrating 8th grade is silly, my dh and I are really silly. We named our girls after cities and the plan is when they are 13 we are going to take them to those cities to celebrate their lives and root them to our family. I think 8th grade is the perfect time to celebrate as by the time kids are seniors they already know who they are and are well on their way to independance. When kids have gone thru 6th-8th grade and survived it is a true miracle. It is where sex, drugs, peer pressure, religious questions, cruelty, and social adaptation hit them hard and central. Very tricky years. Celebrate every moment you can with your 11-14 year olds. They deserve it. Their lives are harder than ours! Thus our plan for our girls when they are 13.

..I think the going to where they were named after is great...very neat. But it really isn't a reward for accomplishing anything.

To me, a cruise celebrating 8th grade graduation is celebrating something which should be expected and common place, and really isn't much of an achievement.

But to each his own.

Just remember, I have the right to my opinion also.

Dawg,

Maybe they're just celebrating the occasion, not the accomplishment. I'm quite sure most of us expect our kids to overcome the tremendous trials, tribulations and insurmountable odds it takes to conquer middle school;) !

Well I have spilled Ketchup and mayo on my keyboard when I was reading this thread...LOL! To the OP...for some reason kids do tend to like Carnival alot more..I went and read a few threads containing to the similar question asked and most responses were about the same.."Can't go wrong with Carnival with Kids, Teens, Young Adults>>>heck all ages" LOL..Have a great cruise wherever you may end up!

Last year we went on Princess and they absolutely limit the number of children. We were trying to get on the Star this year but they had already closed out my daughter's age group and we couldn't get permission, even though we are frequent cruisers with them. Not sure what we will do next year!

JUST FYI

This was from another poster on another thread..I was not aware that Princess limited the amount of kids onboard their ships. So this is another thing you might want to check into..you might not even be able to get onboard a Princess ship if there is already a certain amount of kids in whatever age groups they limit getting on.

Archived