Visiting Cozumel for a day....any recommendations?

cruise bear

My family of 4 (10 yr old dd, 8 yr old ds) will be sailing with Royal Caribbean and visiting Cozumel for a day. There are plenty of ship tours to choose from, but I"m interested in finding out about private tours that Cruise Critic members have done. We will have done some snorkling and swimming with sting rays in Grand Cayman, so I'm not sure we want to do the big sea life park ( Chankanaab Park). Perhaps an educational tour on Indian culture?

Coz is an island so most of the tours involve the water (sail, snorkel, scuba) or beaches and water activities (water toys, parasail, etc.), or animals (swim with the dolphins, sea lions, etc).

The ruins on Coz are not worth your time IMHO. Most of the tours to see the Aztec ruins take you to a few locations on the mainland (Coba, Tulumn, etc.) and involve a ferry ride from Coz to Playa del Carmen -- I would only do those tours through the cruiseline in case a transportation issue keeps you from returning to the ship on time. :eek:

There is a chocolate factory and a tequilla factory that offer tours and samples if you think that would interest your family. When mine were 10 and 8 they would prefer a day at the beach -- you can escape the crowds by trying one of the all-inclusive beach clubs (Nachi Cocom or Mr. Sanchos), or try one of the larger beach clubs like Paradise beach for a few hours (huge pool, nice facilities). Good luck! :)

Are dune buggies a rough ride for someone with back issues?

No, you mostly ride on the road and some sand paths. You can drive crazy if you like, but you can also ride pretty normally. It was HOT and sweaty, though, so take a beach towel to sit on so that you don't slide around on the seat!!

Archived