Spending 9 nights at Holland Beach Hotel in Feb

canadianeh934

My wife and I are staying 9 nights at the Holland Beach Hotel and we are now wondering why we did not stay elsewhere.

We have cruised here twice aboard the Oasis of the Sea and love the port but always stayed in the port. Now after look around we realize that we would have likely been better off staying in Simpson bay etc.

Here are my questions: With parking an issue at the Holland Beach resort, is the bus system ok to use at least during the mornings and then return by taxi.

We are looking at a day trips....one is to Anguilla .....what is the best and most cost effective way to get there?

Same as above for Simpson bay?

As well as after reading this forum Marigot. Dinner recommendations for these places would also be appreciated.

Any information about places to eat in Philipsburg as well. I understand that once the cruise ships leave everything closes for the most part. Is it safe on the beach at night?

We think that a bus to get to our destinations and a taxi on our return would work best if possible.

All suggestions as to day trips etc are appreciated. Happy hour, drink special etc.

Thanks in advance!

Rick

WOW!

We've never stayed there, or even seen a room, but we consider Holland House a class act establishment on the island and have recommended it several times.

That said, I don't think that we would ever book 9 nights anywhere downtown Philipsburg. There are lots of other/better choices for a stay of that length.

Is there any way to modify your arrangements?

I'll return with comments about taxi/bus/Anguilla/questions later.

gary

WOW!

We've never stayed there, or even seen a room, but we consider Holland House a class act establishment on the island and have recommended it several times.

That said, I don't think that we would ever book 9 nights anywhere downtown Philipsburg. There are lots of other/better choices for a stay of that length.

Is there any way to modify your arrangements?

I'll return with comments about taxi/bus/Anguilla/questions later.

gary

Gary,

We went in and seen a room in April of 2011 and the rooms are nice.....that is not the issue. The issue is like you stated 9 nights in Philipsburg. We book through Expedia and we are going to call there to see if we could change it to 4 nights and 5 nights in Simpson Bay etc.

You can continue to recommend the Holland Beach Hotel as we were very impressed with the room last April.

My wife and I are staying 9 nights at the Holland Beach Hotel and we are now wondering why we did not stay elsewhere.

We have cruised here twice aboard the Oasis of the Sea and love the port but always stayed in the port. Now after look around we realize that we would have likely been better off staying in Simpson bay etc.

Here are my questions: With parking an issue at the Holland Beach resort, is the bus system ok to use at least during the mornings and then return by taxi.

We are looking at a day trips....one is to Anguilla .....what is the best and most cost effective way to get there?

Same as above for Simpson bay?

As well as after reading this forum Marigot. Dinner recommendations for these places would also be appreciated.

Any information about places to eat in Philipsburg as well. I understand that once the cruise ships leave everything closes for the most part. Is it safe on the beach at night?

We think that a bus to get to our destinations and a taxi on our return would work best if possible.

All suggestions as to day trips etc are appreciated. Happy hour, drink special etc.

Thanks in advance!

Rick

If you can spend 1/2 of your vacation in Simpson Bay or (even better IMO) Grand Case, that would be fantastic.

I can't imagine being on the island and not renting a car. To me it would be worth the hassle and possible long walks back and forth to the car if I didn't find a parking spot nearby. Remember parking in the evening should be easier in Phillipsburg then parking there in the day.

Regarding dinners in Marigot, I don't feel safe there after dark so I would plan to have a lunch or two at the Marina Royale and save special evening meals for Grand Case.

I would not visit any beach at night unless it was a resort beach or a well known beach bar such as Buccaineer at Kim Sha beach. Most information on visiting the beaches will warn you not to go on the beach at night.

Great Bay beach is the beach in front of Holland House and we don't swim there due to the documented pollution issues. The closest beach that I would swim at is Little Beach.

I really like the Ocean Lounge and Chesterfield's for meals in Phillipsburg. Chesterfield's is about a 15 minute walk from Holland House along the boardwalk. It also has a great Happy Hour. I have never been to Phillipsburg at night as again I would feel a little uneasy.

At night I do feel safe in Grand Case, Anse Marcel ( not recommended unless you are staying there as the road is very hilly and curvey), Simpson Bay (I feel safer on the side of the bridge nearer to Phillipsburg at night) and the Maho entertainment district and have had dinners in all these places. Of course others may feel differently and I will admit that I am perhaps a little on the paranoid side regarding my personal safty especially at night while on the island. I love vacationing on the island and hopefully my precautions will help to keep me safe so I can enjoy the island for many years to come.

I hope this helps. :)

Karysa,

Thanks for all the information. It is very helpful. I believe we can change our reservation so we will be looking at doing so. Grand Case is also high on our list now that I have done so more research. I am also looking at condo rentals as well as hotels and renting a car....I would be foolish I think to not rent a car.....then I can go to where ever when ever I want.....Save the drinking for within the room or condo that we end up renting.

Thanks again.

Rick

Karysa,

Thanks for all the information. It is very helpful. I believe we can change our reservation so we will be looking at doing so. Grand Case is also high on our list now that I have done so more research. I am also looking at condo rentals as well as hotels and renting a car....I would be foolish I think to not rent a car.....then I can go to where ever when ever I want.....Save the drinking for within the room or condo that we end up renting.

Thanks again.

Rick

I think that renting a car will add a lot to your enjoyment of the island. Also take a look at http://www.portofstmaarten.com/ knowin the cruiseship schedule will help you plan the days that you should escape early from town and come back late in the afternoon while staying at the Holland House.

The beach that you can go to closest to Holland House is Little Bay not Little Beach. Worth a visit especially if you don't have a car or for a short stop if you are waiting for the cruisers to clear out prior to going back to the hotel.

The easiest and cheapest way to Anguilla would be to drive to Marigot and take the ferry over.

Archived