Nov 4, Allure of the Seas, Western Caribbean - A Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Have been following along for days and look forward to the rest of the review. As one other poster mentioned I hope RCCL is taking note of your review. They should offer you a free cruise for all of the good publicity you are giving them. I'm guessing many readers, like me, are planning to book Allure or Oasis based on your pictures and review.

I also appreciate your opinions - like most of us have experienced some things and menu items are not as good as others but overall the cruise experiece is wonderful. Good to have a balanced review.

Besides the pictures thanks for posting the daily newsletters and prices.

Gambee after seeing the pictures of the food you have definitely reminded me to make sure to take more food pictures when I do my next LIVE review :)

I love food pictures, unfortunately my neighbor tables don't like the annoying flash ;)

I am so sorry if this has been asked, but do the life boats block the view of the ocean when you are on your balcony? I love to watch the water roll of the side of the ship...I would be a little sad not to be able to see it...I know, it is a little thing, but something I love!

Well they do stick out a little bit and it is actually not a little thing, it actually bother me a lot too. We enjoy doing that very much. You can still see through the gaps, but not a full view.

Why no pictures of you and your mom and your bf????????????

What are you talking about, you saw me in the flowrider ;). Mom and bf like their privacy, not sure why, but they are entitled to it.

Gambee,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this very detailed and entertaining review! It is spectacular!! I always thought I was a very detailed vacation planner…. I’m a bit of a picky eater.. and will chose restaurants, after checking out their menus.. But when I read you planned your whole week of meals ahead of time! That took detailed planning to a WHOLE new level :):)

We are leaving 2 weeks from today for the 12/2 sailing of the Allure, even though this is our 14th cruise, I have been apprehensive of this cruise wondering if I will feel as comfortable on this large of a ship compared to what we usually do. We have been to all the Caribbean ports, and this time decided to make the ship the destination !

Having spent the better part of the day reading though all of the posts! (thank-you very much - I had sooo much to do today!) I am looking forward to this cruise so much more than I was before!

I am really looking forward to reading about the rest of the cruise!! I have to agree with all of the other posters.. Your pictures are fantastic! Especially all of the food and drinks!

One thing, like another poster had mentioned. When I started reading the posts I was logged in.. and your pictures just had a link.. I was clicking on most of them.. After about 7-8 pages.. Had to get some stuff done, and came back to the board a few hours later. CC had logged me out, and when I went to the next page - all of the pictures were there! Weird, but much easier to view that way.. So then after I finally got to the end.. I went BACK to see all the pix I might have missed!

The size is indeed a little intimidating, it actually rarely feels like you're in a ship. It feels more like a resort, that is why I stated before that if you can afford it, a balcony is a must to get the ship feeling. And you're 100% correct, the ship is the destination, no question about it.

I love taking pictures of food, the amount of detail can really be appreciated after you ate it. Thank you very much for the compliment.

I am not sure what is going on with the pictures, I think maybe photobucket is overloaded. I think tonight I will open a separate account and start using that one for the rest of the review. I would hate for my review to be affected over technical problems. Thanks for bringing it up.

And thank you so very much for following me, this review would be nothing without all my fellow CC members.

Thank you all very much!!!

Wow! Loving your review!! We will be on Allure for New Years, our very first cruise. We can't wait & your review is answering so many of our questions!! Thank you so very much for doing this awesome review! Can't wait for your next chapter!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG, first cruise in the Allure and for New years, that is a wish come true. You will have a trip that you will never forget and soon you will be addicted like me ;). The next chapter is coming soon, no worries. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my thread :)

Have been following along for days and look forward to the rest of the review. As one other poster mentioned I hope RCCL is taking note of your review. They should offer you a free cruise for all of the good publicity you are giving them. I'm guessing many readers, like me, are planning to book Allure or Oasis based on your pictures and review.

I also appreciate your opinions - like most of us have experienced some things and menu items are not as good as others but overall the cruise experiece is wonderful. Good to have a balanced review.

Besides the pictures thanks for posting the daily newsletters and prices.

A free cruise would be great, a job would be amazing ;). None the less I do this because I enjoy it, one would not put this much work into something unless they simply loved doing it.

I like to give me honest opinion good or bad, I wont bent it for anything. Good reviews offer a good balance between both. In addition to that I like to put personal touches here and there.

I am very glad that you're enjoying my review, thank you for following me :).

Edited by gambee

I will like to apologize, as it seems I was not done with day 3. I am sorry but I have notes scattered all over the place and its hard to keep track of them. I forgot to add 3 more things about that day.

#1, So I guess I did miss a couple of notes, we did indeed go to our favorite place after the love and marriage game, we went to our balcony. While we were in the balcony, we discussed the game and why we did not like it so much. And more so than Ken Rush taking a long time, was because of the size of the place it was host at. I know the allure is a huge ship and very few places could host this show, but in the end this is one event that suffers with size. The love and marriage game is much more fun in a more intimate place where you relate more to the contestants. In the Allure of the seas you felt disconnected from the event.

#2 while we sat on our balcony enjoying our bottle of wine we started to see some white spots moving and then getting lost in the darkness. And I know what you're thinking "they were just drunk as hell" lol, no, I mean I was pretty drunk, but mom was not. So we defiantly were seeing something. Well it is actually kind of sad what we were witnessing… After sometime staring at the sky we had figure it out, they were birds. What would happen is that they started flying from deck 15 ( my guess) and circling the ship, but the ship was going at full speed, and very few of them managed to catch up to the ship. Most of them got lost in the darkness of the sky and well your guess is as good as mine as far as their fait. Mom was a little sad, we saw at least 6 of them get lost in the darkness :(, I am not sure when we picked them up? maybe in Labadee? we never saw them the nights before labadee. I tried to get it on video but it was just too dark.

#3, Aside from the artwork, my bf also got me a bottle of rum. Before we left on the trip he kept talking about this Haitian rum that was AMAZING!, I really did not pay much attention as I usually do not drink rum, I like mostly vodka. Well long story short he bought me the rum, he got me one called PANGO stands for pineapple and mango. Let me tell you something, this is one of the smoothest spirits I've had. Once I got home I started drinking it on the rocks, it is simply amazing, veryyyyy smooth. I highly recommend this rum, if you happen to stop in Labadee get it! Actually get more than one bottle and send one of them to me. I can email you my address ;)

photo5_zps4e765dd3.jpg

Well now I am truly finished with Labadee. I will continue working on my next set. Good night everyone :)

Edited by gambee

#2 while we sat on our balcony enjoying our bottle of wine we started to see some white spots moving and then getting lost in the darkness. And I know what you're thinking "they were just drunk as hell" lol, no, I mean I was pretty drunk, but mom was not. So we defiantly were seeing something. Well it is actually kind of sad what we were witnessing… After sometime staring at the sky we had figure it out, they were birds. What would happen is that they started flying from deck 15 ( my guess) and circling the ship, but the ship was going at full speed, and very few of them managed to catch up to the ship. Most of them got lost in the darkness of the sky and well your guess is as good as mine as far as their fait. Mom was a little sad, we saw at least 6 of them get lost in the darkness :(, I am not sure when we picked them up? maybe in Labadee? we never saw them the nights before labadee. I tried to get it on video but it was just too dark.

Maybe they were a type of Seagull - I know they flight at night and can go hundreds of miles.

Maybe they were a type of Seagull - I know they flight at night and can go hundreds of miles.

I sure hope so, this was late at night around 1am and we were pretty far from any kind of land.

Thanks for making us feel better about it :)

no worries about the birds, birds navigate 1,000 of miles without touching down on land

The problem is that the ship's lights draw the birds to them and sometimes confuse them but I am sure they are fine.

vickie

I am sure mom will be very happy to read this. She was really upset about the birdies that night. Thank you. :)

Mom are you reading this? :)

No worries folks, I am working hard on the day 4 pictures, they are some of my best of the entire trip. I want to make sure they look great for you all. I will post about 300 pictures. :)

Edited by gambee

No worries folks, I am working hard on the day 4 pictures, they are some of my best of the entire trip. I want to make sure they look great for you all. I will post about 300 pictures. :)

Looking forward to it! Almost down to a single digit countdown. This time next week I'm going to be FREAKING OUT!!! :D:D:D

This has by far been one of the best reviews I have yet to read. I am so looking forward to the rest of it. You are doing a great job and providing so much information. I did "steal" your spreadsheet! Thanks for posting that. There is so much to do and see on the ship I want to make sure that I hit all that I want to. My husband is making fun of me for it but I know he'll be happy when I produce it on the ship and he gets to see all he want to as well. :) One of the areas I didn't even know existed was the Viking Lounge. Your pictures of that were awesome and it's on my list of areas to explore. Thanks again for the review.

I will like to apologize, as it seems I was not done with day 3. I am sorry but I have notes scattered all over the place and its hard to keep track of them. I forgot to add 3 more things about that day.

#1, So I guess I did miss a couple of notes, we did indeed go to our favorite place after the love and marriage game, we went to our balcony. While we were in the balcony, we discussed the game and why we did not like it so much. And more so than Ken Rush taking a long time, was because of the size of the place it was host at. I know the allure is a huge ship and very few places could host this show, but in the end this is one event that suffers with size. The love and marriage game is much more fun in a more intimate place where you relate more to the contestants. In the Allure of the seas you felt disconnected from the event.

#3, Aside from the artwork, my bf also got me a bottle of rum. Before we left on the trip he kept talking about this Haitian rum that was AMAZING!, I really did not pay much attention as I usually do not drink rum, I like mostly vodka. Well long story short he bought me the rum, he got me one called PANGO stands for pineapple and mango. Let me tell you something, this is one of the smoothest spirits I've had. Once I got home I started drinking it on the rocks, it is simply amazing, veryyyyy smooth. I highly recommend this rum, if you happen to stop in Labadee get it! Actually get more than one bottle and send one of them to me. I can email you my address ;)

photo5_zps4e765dd3.jpg

Well now I am truly finished with Labadee. I will continue working on my next set. Good night everyone :)

Keep up the great work! Most enjoyable review can't wait for more! Where did you purchase the rum? Main Market?

Thanks,

Joanne

Keep up the great work! Most enjoyable review can't wait for more! Where did you purchase the rum? Main Market?

Thanks,

Joanne

Yes, in the little red building, by adrenaline beach, the safe area. I think I took a picture of the regular rums.

Why you're thinking in getting me one? ;)

I am all out of mine :(

Thanks for reading

Day 4, Falmouth, Jamaica

Hello Folks, let me tell you a little story that almost cause me to have a heart attack this morning. Last night I was working on my pictures past 3am and making some panoramas. I noticed my computer being a little slow and I decided to turn it off for the night to let it rest a little. I usually only turn off my computer once a month. Well, long story short this morning I woke up and preceded to turn on the computer, it was not turning on :eek::eek::eek:, he was claiming the database for OSX was missing. I almost died, I have my computer backed up, but I had spent a lot of time on that set of pictures. Luckily while I was looking for the restore zip drive, the computer somehow managed to turn on, I was so happy :)

I also noticed something last night, the bad news is that somehow I misplaced the Compass for day 4. But there is good news, I am sure you know by now that I photograph pretty much everything I see. Well the good news is that I took pictures of that days compass :), so it all ended up working good for us :). They are not the best quality but they will have to do.

I am also using a different photobucket account in an attempt to fix the picture problem some of you are experiencing, I hope this fixes it.

Edited by gambee

Ok friends, lets see Jamaica. I need to mention some background here so you know why we decided not to do any excursions there. I am not sure if you are aware of this, but Jamaica is on of the most homophobic countries in the western hemisphere. There is a large amount of violence against homosexuals, that ranges from verbal to even homicide. Feel free do to a google search if you want more information on this.

I did not experience any aggression towards me at all, inside or outside the complex, I am pretty straight acting. On the other hand my bf said he was called a few homophobic terms more than once within the boundaries of the RCCL compound and followed around by some of the locals. I don't want to say he is feminine, but I guess he is more noticeably gay than I am. I actually did not wanted him to get off on that port, but he had other plans.

The second reason we decide to stay near port was because I had zero intentions on being inside a bus for over an hour to get to the desired destination. Falmouth is located far away from the most interesting things to do in Jamaica.

It puzzles me why RCCL decided to build a port for their two flagships in Falmouth, Jamaica. The town is poor beyond your imagination and well for us in particular you could say it is dangerous. So we decided to play it safe and just stay near port. Like I said I did however exit the compound and ventured into town, I will post on that later.

Ironically we woke up that day to the news that Obama had won the elections and two more states had passed gay marriage :rolleyes: life is funny sometimes.

This is probably the only time during my review that I will mention anything about this topic, but I just felt the need to share this with other fellow gay travelers thinking of visiting Jamaica. Thats all and nothing more, please don't think too much of it. I hope I did not offend anyone with anything said in this post.

All that said Mom and I were ready to have a BLAST. Hey, we where in the Caribbean, on vacation, in the WORLD'S LARGEST CRUISE (yes, by two inches over the Oasis ;) lol) and with near perfect weather :D. I also found out that some of my best pictures were taken that day, you are in for treat!. Jamaica has some of the most amazing wood carvers in the WORLD.

Day 4, Falmouth, Jamaica

Hello Folks, let me tell you a little story that almost cause me to have a heart attack this morning. Last night I was working on my pictures past 3am and making some panoramas. I noticed my computer being a little slow and I decided to turn it off for the night to let it rest a little. I usually only turn off my computer once a month. Well, long story short this morning I woke up and preceded to turn on the computer, it was not turning on :eek::eek::eek:, he was claiming the database for OSX was missing. I almost died, I have my computer backed up, but I had spent a lot of time on that set of pictures. Luckily while I was looking for the restore zip drive, the computer somehow managed to turn on, I was so happy :)

I have to say backing my computer up is something I never seem to do diligently... Out of everything on my computer the only thing I would be extremely upset about would be my photos! I had a TimeCapsule that did it all for me but she unfortunately died a slow death and I never got around to getting her fixed. Guess I found a use for that stack of 100 DVD's I bought on sale and never used... let the copying begin!

We woke up a little late that day, I think around 9:00am we were in no rush to nothing in particular so we decided to sleep a little more than usual. As soon as we woke up I placed the order for breakfast on the TV and received the call confirming the order. As you should know by now, mom and I headed headed to the balcony to check her email, update my Facebook and listen to some music. You could already see land ahead, but somewhat far away. So we just sat there and enjoy the view of the land coming closer to us by the minute.

One of my plans today was do some rock climbing and ice skating, unfortunately I woke up with very limited neck movement. I guess that last fall on the flow rider the day before really did more damage than I thought. I thought it was a good thing that I had my appointment in the spa that morning, maybe it would help my neck mussels relax a little. In the end I never got to try those two activities, I guess it is something to add to my to do list for next Allure cruise.

While we were there talking I mentioned to my mom how nice and convenient that night light in the bathroom is for me. I tend to wake up at night to go to the bathroom and being able to see with out waking up that much was a big plus for me, I love it. It was almost like the little window I have at home in my bathroom, a very nice touch.

Mom also noticed something very interesting, the ocean was quite dirty and by dirty I don't mean dark. It just had a lot of debris here and there. I am not sure if it was from Hurricane sandy, but that had been over a week and half before. But it could of been, in any case the ocean was not precisely that nice.

By then we had used $50 of our $150 of internet allowance, they keep track by $$$ and not by minutes. We were doing good with our daily internet allowance. And the overall speed of the internet was not as bad as some people described it in the past. It is between dialup and a slow DSL, not bad.

These pictures are of the pilot being dropped off on the ship.

DSC07021_zps3db7c852.jpg

DSC07025_zps91881f8c.jpg

DSC07028_zpsc553016e.jpg

DSC07032_zps778d506f.jpg

DSC07035_zps41cfc8f6.jpg

DSC07038_zps43c09346.jpg