Nov 4, Allure of the Seas, Western Caribbean - A Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Oh also, was wondering if you did happen to do a review on your NCL cruise? If so, is there a link? :p

yes the link is in my signature. But the review is nothing like this one, it was my frist attempt.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1690520

Just love your review and thanks for taking so much care to give us all the details and photos! My DD and I will be going on Allure in April and can't wait! We're even more excited after reading your review!

Thanks from another one of your Canadian neighbors!

You're welcome, thanks for following along. :)

I am sure you will love your cruise, I bet you're pretty excited :D

Love this pic!

Amen and a High Five to both of these comments!

Ah, Falmouth. Your pictures (absolutely amazing, by the way!) brought back a flood of emotions from my visit last December, most of them not good ones, especially those involving that gauntlet outside the main gate. Left a really nasty taste in my mouth. :( When I'm there next month Carnival Breeze will be docked there too. Maybe even more reason to stay on the ship.

Some of the arts and crafts sold by vendors inside the RCI port complex were quite amazing, weren't they? Some very talented people.

Keep up the excellent work. Definitely a Five Star review! :D

Yeah staying on the ship sounds like a great idea ;)

The art is just incredible, like I said I am one to give credit where its due, Jamaica has some of the amazing wood carvers I've ever seen.

Thanks for all the posts you have done on my review :)

Thank you for your Falmouth pictures outside the gate. This is nowhere near as bad as I had anticipated from people's descriptions. Now I feel comfortable with planning something outside the gates. The poverty here is nothing compared to what we saw in South Africa and I doubt they could be more pushy than the wood carver's market in Namibia.

you're right it was nothing like I was expecting to be, but either way I did not enjoy it.

Thanks for following along.

This is by far one of the best reviews I have read. Your pictures are amazing. We wil be doing a B2B on the Allure on Dec.2 &9 and are so excited after reading your review.

Thank you so much for your nice comment, A B2B sounds like a great idea just right now :D

lol, he was such a cool guy.

Gambee, I can't believe you risked going outside the complex just to take pictures for all of us! You are truly amazing. Thanks for all you did to make this review so special.

We're doing B2B December 2 and 9. Reading your review and seeing your fabulous pix make me even more excited.

I am not sure I risked anything, but yeah it was all for the review. Maybe my glasses were endangered for a second there ;)

This is very likely a customs check. Jamaicans have a $500 USD allowance before they have to pay duty on items being brought into the country.

Maybe someone can enlighten me here, I am not 100% of what was going on. These people were waiting in line with a few items, it looked like customs. My theory was that they are Jamaican RCCL employees that have the day off and are bringing items like the tv for their families? yes, no? Anyone?

DSC07101_zps0f9b0b57.jpg

Gambee - this is such a great review, with awesome pictures!! Thanks so much for doing this review!!!

This is actually a new complex that is being built!!!

If it is a new project, it has been in that sad state for the last four years with no progress visible on the yearly visits we have made to Falmouth.

If it is a new project, it has been in that sad state for the last four years with no progress visible on the yearly visits we have made to Falmouth.

Thats because the developers ran into issues with the local council around planning permissions! All of those strutures were sold 'off plan'.

Yeah, my husband was stationed at the white house when he was in the army. When he saw the picture he said it was the real deal. However it is only air force 1 if president is on board. Air force 2 if vice president is on board.

My bf did some research and told me that. There are two planes right?

So i have now noticed that this fabulous thread has five gold stars attached to it on the main page. How did you earn this and who puts them there?

None the less, I think they are WELL DESERVED!:D

BTW, we sailed Oasis when the Falmouth port opened for the very first time...to us, the biggest ship. The port certainly wasnt completed (as it still isnt!)....and Jamaica made it like a national holiday! All children in the area were let out of school for the day to come see us. There was a chain linked fence separating "us vs. them" and not only was it sad but it was downright scary when our tour bus went outside the gates. If i come across some of my pictures i will post. You would find them interesting.

We sail back to Falmouth this March on the Allure and although it looks much more complete, I 100% agree with you that many people have no interest in traveling an hour each way (or more!...Negril is 2 hrs away!) to any of the main attractions of the island. We also have the free spa vouchers (2 balc rooms booked) so we are looking forward to utilizing them. Bummer this is where RCCL had to build the port to accomodate these large ladies.

I think the 5 stars are given by moderators. But I am not sure how that works.

Yeah the port is not the best one, but ultimately I made the decision to go there. So there is no complaining to do. The island is in a prime location yet the port is not. Maybe RCCL was thinking that after they opened the port the town would improve? Not sure.

Gambee- what an excellent review- and your pictures are unreal.. May I please ask what camera brand and model your using? Thank you so much!

It's a Sony nex-f3 with mostly a zeiss 24mm 1.8 attached to it.

I addressed that earlier. But not sure in what page, I also posted pictures of it.

I also have two more lens 18-55 and 55-210.

This review will be never-ending, right? I don't want it to end...

Lol. That's a sweet comment.

No worries. There will be future cruises. :)

Thank you so much for the "FANTABULOUS" review :D:D

It is bringing back so many wonderful memories from our time aboard the Allure this time last year....

and helping me get through the last few weeks until we are sailing again :o:p:D

Looking forward to the rest :D

I seriously think I am going to print this review out in Hi-Def and read it again and again and again. It's amazing!! We are planning to go on Allure in March/April but finances are dictating that we wait last minute to book. We went last March and it was amazing.

I am a SAHM to two young boys, 5.5 and 2.5. My husband works out of the house in a home office and we have three pets. I NEED the break that a cruise with just the hubby provides. I have been overweight for years and am finally in a situation with the older son at Kindergarten and my younger healthy this year to put him in a childcare situation at the gym. My motivation is this cruise. The lone picture of me last year is torture for me to look at. I am determined to be better this year. This review is a HUGE part of my motivation. Every night I come on here and catch up. Your pictures are amazing. I am working on my photography with hopes to open a business some day but I do portraits and families. I can't take a landscape picture for the life of me. Your pictures of just mundane areas of the ship are excellent and remind me of all the nooks and cranies that ship has to offer. I hope that I can take more pictures like that this next cruise.

THANK YOU!!

Darn it! I waited a couple days to read more and thought I'd waste a little time at the end of the day with this review and I'm all caught up! Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation with us. I'm really enjoying it a lot! Your mom sounds like a hoot! You all seem to travel well together and enjoy your vacation!

My bf did some research and told me that. There are two planes right?

I think the 5 stars are given by moderators. But I am not sure how that works.

Yeah the port is not the best one, but ultimately I made the decision to go there. So there is no complaining to do. The island is in a prime location yet the port is not. Maybe RCCL was thinking that after they opened the port the town would improve? Not sure.

It's a Sony nex-f3 with mostly a zeiss 24mm 1.8 attached to it.

I addressed that earlier. But not sure in what page, I also posted pictures of it.

I also have two more lens 18-55 and 55-210.

Lol. That's a sweet comment.

No worries. There will be future cruises. :)

To answer the question about Air Force One, yes there are 2 identical 747's that are used as Air Force One. As was stated before it's call sign is Air Force One if the President is onboard and Air Force 2 if it is just the Vice President onboard. If the plane is flying without the President or Vice President onboard the planes call sign is "SAM" which stands for Special Air Mission.

Also to note that any military aircraft that the President boards will be refered to as Air Force One if it is an Air Force plane, Navy One if a Navy aircraft, Marine One (which his helicopters are piloted by), and Army One for Army aircraft.

Hi Gambee. Still going strong I see. I have a question about Falmouth. The area involved in construction would not happen to be for a Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville would it???. I had heard one was going to be built there the last time I was there in 2011. Thanks. :)