Nov 4, Allure of the Seas, Western Caribbean - A Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

When we got there, we noticed that it had a sign "Show in progress, do not interrupt", crap…. Somehow I had confused the times and we completely missed our chance at seeing the show. Because you well know that it is impossible to get in without reservations, I was so upset about it, but what else could we do?

Loving the review...

Just want to throw out my experience with the comedy club.

When DH and I did all our planning we booked everything EXCEPT the comedy show. He swore no one went to them and we'd be fine. I didn't buy it but wasn't concerned at all.

On night 6 we walked in very last minute, they were getting ready to close the doors and got great seats. I can't guarantee anything but it can be done. I really hope you didn't give up and not ever see the show.

Absolutely loving your review your photos are amazing we are due to go on Allure on 6th January for our "Big"birthday celebration cruise 2x 50 & 21st.. Do you think I could be cheeky and ask is there any way I could download some of your picture as there is no way I will capture its beauty the way you have I agree with everyone else you should be making a career out of this

Moira x

It is so sweet of you for the "awesome job on the flowrider photos"

Thank you very much to all of you for taking the time to read and support my son's review.

I am very PROUD of HIM.

Hi mom. :)

Mom posted! You are right to be so proud of your son. There is nothing like the love of a son for his mom. I know. I have 3 sons. I'm very proud of them too.

And before someone gets her nose out of joint, I'm sure a daughter's love is just as special! :)

I am very surprised she figured out how to post. Proud of her for that :)

gambee 10pm.:eek:

Way past my bedtime, I have to get up by 4am.

Okay, okay, I will have something to read with my morning coffee.

Thanks again.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

I will add more stuff today, thanks for sticking around.

Ok I am on my second DSLR a Canon 60D with an 18-55mm lens and I can't take pictures as well as you!! I read the books, I get the "rules" but you are amazing. Mine are not nearly as crisp.

That is a very powerful camera, she was on my contenders list.

It might have to do with the lens, the camera body is a must, but for optimum clarity in closeups and macro pictures you might need a faster lens. The 18-55 kit lens are good and practical, but they can struggle a little in low light situations.

Also try reading different kind of books, like some that might help you develop your creative side. That's what I have been doing, lots of them.

As someone who hasn't been on an RC cruise, I don't know what the Rising Tides bar is. Sounds like it moves but would love to hear more about that.

And do you have to book ALL entertainment on the ship in advance?

Rising tides bar is the only levitating bar at sea, you are correct it moves between floors. It is a novelty really, but a lot of fun.

For this ship yes, it is one of the things that gets criticized on it. That said we managed to see 3 of the shows with not reservations. Some people never do and still get to see everything. Smaller venues like the comedy club are the ones that struggle with capacity. I missed the show :(

You have much to be proud of, Mom! Your son clearly adores you and wants to make you happy.....and is clearly appreciative of all you have done for him in life. There is no better compliment!

I feel very lucky that both my son and daughter (in their teens) enjoy our company so much that they are delightful travel companions and appreciate the trips we take them on.

Loving Gambee's review....and having almost finished one myself (over on the Celebrity board), I know how onerous a task it is!!!

Thanks for stopping by, mom checked out your review last night and said your pics are incredible. She would not stop talking about, as soon as I am done with mine I will stop by and read yours. She is one of my many ships that I want to sail in.

Thank you for the wonderful comment.

Gambee, This review is AWESOME! I'm going on the Allure on Dec 2nd... and everyday I come home from work to see what you have posted!

I do have a quick unrelated cruise question... Is there any digital camera you could recommend for a beginner!? I am looking to buy one for my upcoming cruise and have no clue what is a good camera or not.... looking for something between the 100-200 dollar range... THANKS!

I am glad I can entertain you after a hard day at work, it's my pleasure.

If you had time I would tell you buy a used Sony HX9V from ebay, but you might not get it delivered on time.

That said there are some good options;

My main pick would be the Sony DSC-Wx150, she has it all, great zoom, great photo/video quality and she's fast. She might be on the upper side of your budget, but is well worth the money. You might know by now that I love sony. 10x zoom

The canon powershot ELPH 300 HS is a great little camera, although she might be pushing your budget again. With canon my only issue is that the color are a bit dull at times, but putting the settings on vivid pretty much takes care of that problem. The sony has a better zoom 5x zoom

The third choice and the least expensive is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7, my bf is actually using the predecessor to that camera. They perform very good and take good pictures, although not as good as the ones above. Still a great choice.

Hope that helps :)

sss

I have these exact same same Keens!

I'm not really seeing what people find so offensive about "outside the gate" in Falmouth, it looks clean, the people look nice (but hot!) It seems no one has anything good to say...seems like you enjoyed your time there though.

I had to google search "keen" lol, those were my neighbor keens, lol.

Well it is not offensive per say, but the thing is that before this review we really had no info and good pictures of it. Lots of people complained about being harassed, so it has created a very negative reputation. Like I said I had no issues outside, but I still did not find pleasurable either. And you're right they are keeping the main streets very clean and with a lot of security.

Once in a while something comes along like your review that just delights us all. (Not that the others are any less appreciated. I read them every one and am grateful for each one.) This is just to say thank you for the dedication and work this took (is taking). I think this is a good forum for you and I hope, a beginning for an even wider audience. You have charm, personality and spirit; and skill in photography for sure! I left the Allure the day you boarded. Wish I could have met you. Love the relationships in this review and how you take care of them. :-)

Thank you very much that comment, it touched my heart. Mom loved it as well, it is very kind of you to take the time to write something deep like this.

Hope you continue to enjoy my review. :)

Thanks again Gambee.........looking forward to your day in Cozumel.

Patty

Cozumel was my favorite day, I will have a blast doing that day. I can't wait. :)

On recommendations by a friend I have saved Samba Grill as the place I will eat dinner my last night on the ship. Despite mixed reviews on Cruise Critic I booked it. Hope it doesn't disappoint!

You know even with the mixed reviews that we have all read, that place looked so peaceful and pretty. It should be an evening to remember. I hope you have a good time there. Let us know how it goes.

This post has become my night time reading!:) Thank you for taking the time to do this Gambee!

We are taking my mom with us as well on the next cruise. We take her everywhere with us!

This makes me want to cruise on the Allure.

My mom is the life of the party, that is why I love traveling and spending time her. Sounds like your mom is similar to mine.

You should do Allure one day!

Love the night time pics around the ship. She's beautiful all the time but there's something romantic about being on board and taking a stroll in the moonlight around the pool decks. Great job capturing everything.

She is indeed very pretty, thanks for commenting on those pictures in particular. They are among my favorite ones.

Very very well done Gambee! Been enjoy this thread since you started it.

Carry on with the good work! :)

Thanks, I will try my best :)

Loving the review...

Just want to throw out my experience with the comedy club.

When DH and I did all our planning we booked everything EXCEPT the comedy show. He swore no one went to them and we'd be fine. I didn't buy it but wasn't concerned at all.

On night 6 we walked in very last minute, they were getting ready to close the doors and got great seats. I can't guarantee anything but it can be done. I really hope you didn't give up and not ever see the show.

We never got to see it :(

Absolutely loving your review your photos are amazing we are due to go on Allure on 6th January for our "Big"birthday celebration cruise 2x 50 & 21st.. Do you think I could be cheeky and ask is there any way I could download some of your picture as there is no way I will capture its beauty the way you have I agree with everyone else you should be making a career out of this

Moira x

Sounds like you're for a great cruise experience.

Yeah sure, for personal use I am ok with it. I guess you can just right click on top of the picture you like and click on "save as", then select a destination and save it.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks for following my review :)

In a word Gambee your review is - FANTASTIC ;) !!!

Barb

hey, I think that is plagiarism, that's my word! lol just messing with you :D

Thanks for the nice comment Barb, hope you continue to enjoy, have a nice day :)

This is very likely a customs check. Jamaicans have a $500 USD allowance before they have to pay duty on items being brought into the country.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about that.

Gambee I agree that the creme brulee is a fantastic dessert. I had it every night except for two :D

It was so good, he was one of the many players at fault for my weight gain, lol

If it is a new project, it has been in that sad state for the last four years with no progress visible on the yearly visits we have made to Falmouth.

Gambee - this is such a great review, with awesome pictures!! Thanks so much for doing this review!!!

This is actually a new complex that is being built!!!

Thats because the developers ran into issues with the local council around planning permissions! All of those strutures were sold 'off plan'.

I see, yeah it looked pretty dead in the water. I hope they get it back and running, it would be ashamed to let them just sit there.

Thank you so much for the "FANTABULOUS" review :D:D

It is bringing back so many wonderful memories from our time aboard the Allure this time last year....

and helping me get through the last few weeks until we are sailing again

Looking forward to the rest :D

thanks for stopping by, I hope you have fun on your upcoming cruise :)

Waiting with baited breathe! Love, love, love, your review! Have obsessively been reading it. I think that we were brother and sister in another life. Half the fun of traveling is in the pre-planning! You're the best, for sharing.

That is that what I was telling my mom the other day, the planning and anticipation are almost as good the trip itself. I just love it. Thanks for the nice comment :)

I seriously think I am going to print this review out in Hi-Def and read it again and again and again. It's amazing!! We are planning to go on Allure in March/April but finances are dictating that we wait last minute to book. We went last March and it was amazing.

I am a SAHM to two young boys, 5.5 and 2.5. My husband works out of the house in a home office and we have three pets. I NEED the break that a cruise with just the hubby provides. I have been overweight for years and am finally in a situation with the older son at Kindergarten and my younger healthy this year to put him in a childcare situation at the gym. My motivation is this cruise. The lone picture of me last year is torture for me to look at. I am determined to be better this year. This review is a HUGE part of my motivation. Every night I come on here and catch up. Your pictures are amazing. I am working on my photography with hopes to open a business some day but I do portraits and families. I can't take a landscape picture for the life of me. Your pictures of just mundane areas of the ship are excellent and remind me of all the nooks and cranies that ship has to offer. I hope that I can take more pictures like that this next cruise.

THANK YOU!!

I am very happy to know that I am being big part of your motivation to improve your life, I could not be happier about this. Your comment touched my heart, I really hope you get to go on your cruise and that accomplish your goal prior sailing her.

You know I had to google SAHM, I was not familiar with the term :D.

It sounds like we are opposite, I tend to have problems with portraits. I am not that good with them and sometimes struggle with lighting. I guess I need more practice.

Thank you so much for reading my review and mostly for the time you took to tell us story. I hope you get to accomplish your dreams of opening a photography studio.

Thanks for all your hardwork

You're welcome :D

Darn it! I waited a couple days to read more and thought I'd waste a little time at the end of the day with this review and I'm all caught up! Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation with us. I'm really enjoying it a lot! Your mom sounds like a hoot! You all seem to travel well together and enjoy your vacation!

For the most part, yes we get along well, but like everyone we all have our moments. Thanks for joining. :)

To answer the question about Air Force One, yes there are 2 identical 747's that are used as Air Force One. As was stated before it's call sign is Air Force One if the President is onboard and Air Force 2 if it is just the Vice President onboard. If the plane is flying without the President or Vice President onboard the planes call sign is "SAM" which stands for Special Air Mission.

Also to note that any military aircraft that the President boards will be refered to as Air Force One if it is an Air Force plane, Navy One if a Navy aircraft, Marine One (which his helicopters are piloted by), and Army One for Army aircraft.

Cool, thanks.

Hi Gambee. Still going strong I see. I have a question about Falmouth. The area involved in construction would not happen to be for a Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville would it???. I had heard one was going to be built there the last time I was there in 2011. Thanks. :)

I am not sure, there was no info posted near the construction area. Here is a closeup, it is not really clear what they are going for.

DSC07077_zps9b854cda.jpg

I'm absolutely loving the review. I feel like every day I should go put on my footie pajamas and sit cross legged on the rug to listen to the next chapter :D

That comment was hilarius and cute, Loved It!

I always read anything about Allure as we are finally going to be on her in May. I have NEVER had the experience of such a fantastic review and the photographs are of such amazing quality it is truly hard to believe that you are not a very, very expensive professional photographer.

I wish I knew someone in the travel industry that I could share your review and photographs with. This is what your career should be. You have the ability to take a small item and with the eye of a professional make it a photograph that you want to frame for display.

You are very blessed to have a fantastic talent, now it just has to be discovered by the right persons. But, in the mean time, all of us can enjoy your fabulous review.

I am also so happy that you have the great relationship with your mom and your bf......what a happy way to travel!

as mentioned before, I hope this doesn't end before we board her in May, love this review

I am afraid the review will end much sooner, the good news is that there will be more :D.

Your post was a delight to read, I want to thank you very much for it. I love comments like your, they really help my motivation to want to succeed further in life.

Once again thank you very much :-)

I felt much like you during my first visit! Then a week later the earth quake hit and it only got worse

What we noticed these boats doing is that there is a gate on land, but if they can get there by sea after we have all left, there is no one to stop them and think about what must be left over (foodwise- even in the garbage) and things we leave behind that we think of as too "worthless" to even report missing; a magazine, an old tee shirt, numerous sunglasses, flip flops- all very valuable to them.

I'm enjoying your report...love the pants photo...sorry to say it gets worse with age!!;) And you are such a trim guy, you must have been skeletal at graduation:eek:

Yeah but I guess we all know we are going there when we book the cruise, It is a very nice resort with a sad back story.

OMG the pants were horrible, I was going to die, but it was soooo funny at the same time. Mom could not stop laughing and saying "I told you so :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:"

Ok friends I just finished replying to all the questions and wonderful comments posted yesterday. I also finished most of the work on the pictures and will now start working "Day 5" I think I should be able to finish it by today. Day 5 was a lazy day activity wise and picture wise, I will try to make the most of it, but don't expect much.

Have a good day everyone, I will be back later and start posting :)

P.S. If I missed anyones comment/question please let me know, but I think I got them all.

Edited by gambee

Thanks for stopping by, mom checked out your review last night and said your pics are incredible. She would not stop talking about, as soon as I am done with mine I will stop by and read yours. She is one of my many ships that I want to sail in.

Thank you for the wonderful comment.

O.k. Your mother is a lovely woman I am sure but her ability to distinguish between good and bad photography is not the best! I just point and shoot and enjoy whatever comes out. But I hope that the pics give you a sense of the Eastern Med. It is a MUST DO in my opinion but very port-intensive.

Day 5 Sea Day

We woke up to overcast skies, but it looked like it was going to clear up later on. The ocean was the choppiest that we had experience during the entire trip, but it was still kind of mellow. As I turned on the TV to see our position, my mom reminded me that my bf had pre-ordered breakfast, that threw off my plans since I wanted to go to the windjammer for breakfast to try it out. I had no intentions on throwing away all that food so we decided to wait for the food to arrive.

The TV pointed out that we were just passing George Town, but we could not see it from our balcony. The people from the port side were able to see it. Mom offered to go to the aft balcony and get some pictures. So she unplugged the camera from the charger, I changed the lens for her and off she went.

In the meantime I headed towards the balcony to do the usual email, Facebook and weather. Since the ship was experiencing some minimum movement I decided to play it safe and take a bonnie, I also grabbed one for mom. The ship had crosswind that varied from 28 knots to 36 knots and traveling at 13.5 knots.

That day I struggle a little with the internet, it took me longer than usual to log in and use it, maybe too many people were trying to use it at the same time. Mom came back a few minutes later, she was very excited, it seemed like she managed to get some usable pictures. So I took the memory card and checked. Sure enough she did a good job again. This are a few of the pics she took, I cropped them so you will be able to see more detail in the houses.

DSC07599_zps512afc25.jpg

DSC07605_zps5397f203.jpg

She also took a picture that was not meant to focus on the RCCL sign, but I thought it came our really cool and kept it.

DSC07602_zps037f3b80.jpg

As mentioned before there was a crew filming RCCL newest commercial and they were in the rock climbing wall filming away. I hope they managed to get some video, those skies must of affected the quality that day. She took one picture of the film crew. You can also see a lady in the boardwalk checking stuff on her computer.

DSC07609_zpse30cd682.jpg