One Day in LA Help!

Pearl64

We have 24 hours to spend in LA before our long flight to New Zealand for our Solstice cruise. We are planning on staying someplace near LAX as our flight gets in around 10 pm.Our flight is at 9 pm the next day so we have basically all day. We are interested in the Getty Museum (the Villa is not open on a Tuesday) and the Ronald Reagan Library. Do we just do a leisurely breakfast at our hotel and then just get a taxi to the Getty or do we try to do both the Reagan Library first and then work our way back to the Getty and then onto LAX? If we take a taxi and just do the Getty, is there any place close that the taxi driver might take us say for a half hour that would not be too costly? If we do the latter, what is the best way to get from our hotel to the Library and then to the Getty and then to LAX? My husband is not keen on driving in LA--did that in San Fransisco and was not pleasant. But, I do not know how congested the roads to the two places would be. Is it feasible to drive or would it be just too crazy to attempt it. Is the only way to get there on a freeway or is there an alternate road we could take that would be easier. We probably hit the first part of rush "hour" from 3 to 4 pm. I do not believe there is any public transportation to either of these two. We don't mind spending some money but do not want to spend over $200 getting from point A to B, etc. We also need to be concerned about our luggage. We could keep them at the hotel but then we would need to go back and retrieve them. I don't think we would want to lug them all day and it would not be safe in the car. Suggestions here as well?

Thank you for all suggestions. I apologize for so many questions but I cannot tell from the AAA book how long and how to accomplish this.

Pearl

We have 24 hours to spend in LA before our long flight to New Zealand for our Solstice cruise. We are planning on staying someplace near LAX as our flight gets in around 10 pm.Our flight is at 9 pm the next day so we have basically all day. We are interested in the Getty Museum (the Villa is not open on a Tuesday) and the Ronald Reagan Library. Do we just do a leisurely breakfast at our hotel and then just get a taxi to the Getty or do we try to do both the Reagan Library first and then work our way back to the Getty and then onto LAX? If we take a taxi and just do the Getty, is there any place close that the taxi driver might take us say for a half hour that would not be too costly? If we do the latter, what is the best way to get from our hotel to the Library and then to the Getty and then to LAX? My husband is not keen on driving in LA--did that in San Fransisco and was not pleasant. But, I do not know how congested the roads to the two places would be. Is it feasible to drive or would it be just too crazy to attempt it. Is the only way to get there on a freeway or is there an alternate road we could take that would be easier. We probably hit the first part of rush "hour" from 3 to 4 pm. I do not believe there is any public transportation to either of these two. We don't mind spending some money but do not want to spend over $200 getting from point A to B, etc. We also need to be concerned about our luggage. We could keep them at the hotel but then we would need to go back and retrieve them. I don't think we would want to lug them all day and it would not be safe in the car. Suggestions here as well?

Thank you for all suggestions. I apologize for so many questions but I cannot tell from the AAA book how long and how to accomplish this.

Pearl

I hate to tell you this, but the RR Library is in Simi Valley, a bit of a difference away from the Getty, which is in Brentwood.

Hopefully this map will show up:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Now the 46 minutes estimated travel time between the two is for a Sunday afternoon, not a Tuesday, during which there will be a lot more traffic on the 405 portion. And then, you would have to get back to the airport in time for an international flight, which has an earlier deadline for check in than a domestic flight:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl (again, the time listed is for a Sunday afternoon, going back to the airport would take over an hour on a Tuesday afternoon at the least)

If I were you, I would just stick with the Getty, taking a taxi over there and then calling for a taxi when you're ready to return to your hotel.

Okay, I tried the link but it just comes up California for me. You can type in Getty Museum and then the Ronald Reagan presidential library and get the directions and you'll get a better idea. And it's just not the distance between the two, but you need to take the 405 freeway north (which is usually crowded) and then the 118 freeway west (which you may luck out and it's moving).

Pearl

Let me add in a bit here...

LAX to the Reagan Library in Simi Valley to the Getty Center back to LAX would be an exhausting day...and a small fortune in taxi fares...

IF I was going to attempt that, I would do it by rental car...the roads one would take would not be all that bad...the 405, of course, can be a nightmare anytime...but due to traffic, not due to being difficult driving...the freeways are wide, off ramps clearly marked, actually fairly simple...I would take it to the 101, then North on the 23 to Olsen Road...it's actually right off the 23, just off the Olsen off ramp...much easier to get there that way than on the 118...I would get out early and, traffic be damned...it's not like you are going to avoid it all anyway...and you can use the time...

The Getty is on your way back, off the 405 on Getty Center Drive...with a 9:00pm flight, you'll want to be back at LAX by 6:00...It's a lot to bite off, but it's marginally do-able...

That said, unless you are a big Ronald Reagan fan (I'm not, but, then again, I actually knew him, so I'm not impressed by the media-created myth)...I have been to the library...with a personalized tour...to me, the most impressive thing there is Air Force One--which you can actually walk on board and through...Nancy's dresses or pages from Reagan's journals don't do much for me)...the building is impressive, but there are some much better architectural masterpieces in the LA area...But, as I said, if you are one of those who idolizes Reagan, I guess you'd want to visit...

The Getty, OTOH, is a great museum...both for its art collection and for its grounds, location and architecture...and it is in a much more convenient location...other places to visit not far from the Getty are the campus of UCLA (truly one of the world's most beautiful college campuses) and, not too far away and worth a visit, Santa Monica (Pier, Palisades Park and Third Street Promenade) and Venice Beach...which, if you end up there, would put you not that far from LAX...and you could get from there to LAX via Lincoln. Blvd. and avoid the 405 altogether...

Aside from the expensive taxi or renting a car, perhaps try contacting Roadrunner Shuttle and ask what they would charge you to pick you up at an LAX hotel, bring you to the Reagan Library, then to the Getty and then back to LAX...it's likely still costly, but cheaper than a taxi...Roadrunner specializes in LAX-to-Ventura County transportation (Simi is in Ventura County)...I use them all the time (I live out in that direction) and think they are pretty good...

Good luck...

Thanks for the responses. I am leaning toward just doing the Getty but DH will need to make the ultimate decision as he is the one who wants to see RR library and will be doing the driving. It also has been suggested to stay near the Getty but do not know how crazy traffic will be at 11 pm on MLK day to get to the Getty area? What would be the driving time from LAX to the Getty area? If we did rent a car we could then do your other suggestions of seeing UCLA and Santa Monica. How long to go from the Getty to Santa Monica and then from Santa Monica to LAX? Looks like more options to research.

Pearl

Thanks for the responses. I am leaning toward just doing the Getty but DH will need to make the ultimate decision as he is the one who wants to see RR library and will be doing the driving. It also has been suggested to stay near the Getty but do not know how crazy traffic will be at 11 pm on MLK day to get to the Getty area? What would be the driving time from LAX to the Getty area? If we did rent a car we could then do your other suggestions of seeing UCLA and Santa Monica. How long to go from the Getty to Santa Monica and then from Santa Monica to LAX? Looks like more options to research.

Pearl

LAX to Getty is only about 15 miles...at 11:00 pm, you are looking at maybe 20-25 minutes depending on whether you hit a light or two getting to the 405...Santa Monica to LAX is about 12.5 miles via Freeway--10 to the 405 South to Howard Hughes, then South on Sepulveda...or about 9 miles via Lincoln Boulevard...it should take about 20 minutes either way...though more if it's rush hour...If you are more down towards Marina Del Rey, it's only about 5-6 miles from LAX and about a 10 minute drive...

There are two hotels right near the Getty--the Angeleno and the Luxe...

http://www.hotelangeleno.com/

http://www.luxesunset.com/

Both are across the street from each other--right down the hill from the Getty at the Sunset Blvd. Freeway offramp...But, other than the hotels and the museum, both are in residential areas with not much else around...

The Angeleno has a complimentary shuttle to the Getty, the Skirball, UCLA and restaurants in the Westwood Village area...I am not sure about the Luxe...

It is a nicer area to stay in than LAX...but it is also a bit pricier...

Since you are driving the same circuit either way and not spending much time at the hotel, it may make little difference...

Thanks to all responses. We have decided to stick with just the Getty Museum so we don't have to rush. We have booked the Luxe so hope it will be okay. The hotel does provide free shuttle service to the Getty. If UCLA is within 3 miles of the hotel we could take the shuttle there as well.We still have not decided whether to use a taxi to the hotel and back to the airport or rent a car. If we choose the latter we could meander our way back to LAX via Santa Monica or close, stop for an early dinner, return the car, and check in for our flight. Suggestions as whether to taxi or drive? Cost would be similar.

Pearl

Thanks to all responses. We have decided to stick with just the Getty Museum so we don't have to rush. We have booked the Luxe so hope it will be okay. The hotel does provide free shuttle service to the Getty. If UCLA is within 3 miles of the hotel we could take the shuttle there as well.We still have not decided whether to use a taxi to the hotel and back to the airport or rent a car. If we choose the latter we could meander our way back to LAX via Santa Monica or close, stop for an early dinner, return the car, and check in for our flight. Suggestions as whether to taxi or drive? Cost would be similar.

Pearl

As a local, my answer is usually going to be rent a car...it gives you control...you can go where you want, when you want...and won't waste time waiting for taxis...plus, I always have a distrust of unscrupulous cab drivers running up the meter...

It would still make sense to use the hotel shuttle to get to and from the Getty...save the parking fee...

I'd head over to the Getty first thing in the morning...I believe they open at 10 (closed Mondays)...leaving all of my luggage in the car...upon returning to the Luxe, just grab the car and head down to Santa Monica, park at a meter on Ocean or Second somewhere between Colorado Street and Wilshire...walk a loop down Palisades Park along the cliffs for the views, then up to Third and along the Promenade and back to the car...then drive down Ocean Avenue/Neilson way/Pacific to Washington Blvd...turn right and look for a parking meter or park in the beach lot....eat an early dinner/late lunch at C&O Trattoria and take a little walk up and down the Boardwalk...then head over to LAX to get there by 6 pm or thereabouts...(Washington to Lincoln, turn right to LAX...you're only about 10 minutes away at that point)...

Of course, if you end up spending more time at the Getty, you can cut some of this short...

Thank you so much, Bruin Steve. I always read your posts as you always offer excellent advice. You plan sounds great. I will reserve a car either tonight or tomorrow. I had already planned on taking the shuttle either way just to save the parking fee.

We are excited to see your area of the world. Thank you again.

Pearl

Archived